HL2.Net Ads are startin to scare me..

Reaction score
a33748e76a96aa4ad25f5525f1e5f6f1.gif

wtf!! its makin me cry:rolling: :( :(

Pfff munro keep the ads nice pretty please with sugar on top :) :)

:stab:

I like how they feel they have to tell you it's scary. God knows what would happen if some guy found it funny, he would be totally wrong.

They have the internet on computers now

I think that before everybody who uses the 'blue e' starts complaining, first realise that that have been at least 2 other threads on this in the last month and a half. People simply need to read the rest of this thread and be done with it, ok?

Let me explain the situation. Halflife2.net obviously need to get some funding from somewhere, so they let adverts be used on their site, and they get paid each time someone clicks on one of the ads. Unfortunately, nobody likes online advertising, especially when some links seem to install spyware etc, as has been said not so long ago in a similar thread.

Now you may or may not have heard of the term 'browser', but most people use the one called Internet Explorer. This is made by Micro$oft, which are a bad bad company who don't really care about people or users, but rather how much money they can get from each poor person who uses their operating system (Windows 95, 98, 2000, Millenium Edition, XP etc.) This browser is not what you would call 'secure' online. It has many known security holes, and can pose a very real threat to both your security and privacy.

Some will have heard of the open source browser called Mozilla Firefox. This browser is free, prevents pop-ups far far better than Internet Explorer, and can also utilize the great power of 'extensions' which are small plugins for use in Firefox. Ask anybody who knows anything about the internet, and who is worth half-their-salt, and they will reccommend Firefox.

Just for arguments sake let's have a look at the extension, logically named 'Adblock'. (Also the version I personally use is called 'Adblock Plus') This brilliant extension can block any muber of links, images or domain names that you desire, therefore they do not show ever again in any web page/site ever again. It's both easy to install and use. Once installed you can simply right-click an image, then click 'Adblock Image...'. You can now see the address of the image, then you click 'ok' to permanently block it. Of course all links that you choose to block can be changed afterward if you wish.

Also worth noting is 'Adblock Filterset.G Updater', which is another extension for use in combination with either Adblock or Adblock Plus. Here is the blurb:

"This is a companion extension to Adblock or Adblock Plus and should be used in conjunction with it. This extension automatically downloads the latest version of Filterset.G every 4-7 days. Filterset.G is an excellent set of filters maintained by G for Adblock that blocks most ads on the internet. In addition, this extension allows you to define your own set of filters that you can add along with Filterset.G during an update."

Mozilla Firefox can be downloaded here

Adblock extension for Firefox can be downloaded here

Adblock Plus extension for Firefox can be downloaded here

Adblock Filterset.G Updater extension for Firefox can be downloaded here

Please please please use Firefox. You might be a little hesitant at first because you have always used 'the blue e', but trust me, you will never regret it. I have never looked back, and neither will you. If at first you find it a little tricky, which it shouldn't be anyway, be persistent. It will import all of you Internet Explorer favourites and settings etc, so there is no need to worry that you'll have to 'start all over again' - you carry on from where you left off, and believe me you'll be happy you did.

I am starting to get more pop ups on this site than before.

I am starting to get more pop ups on this site than before.

Like I, and many others have said recently - use Firefox.

I use Firefox along with the extensions I mentioned above and get absolutely zero adverts and zero pop-ups.

All I need is "been playing Half-life too much? Is the only head you can get is Alyx in G-mod? You need a girlfriend!! go to Girlfriend-Finders.com!" and my day will be fulfilled with laughter :p

Nah adblock is weak. Theres no other place like 127.0.0.1

Hehe.

It's so wierd, I don't have adblock but sometimes no ads appear on this site for me, sometimes they do.

I think that before everybody who uses the 'blue e' starts complaining, first realise that that have been at least 2 other threads on this in the last month and a half. People simply need to read the rest of this thread and be done with it, ok?

Let me explain the situation. Halflife2.net obviously need to get some funding from somewhere, so they let adverts be used on their site, and they get paid each time someone clicks on one of the ads. Unfortunately, nobody likes online advertising, especially when some links seem to install spyware etc, as has been said not so long ago in a similar thread.

Now you may or may not have heard of the term 'browser', but most people use the one called Internet Explorer. This is made by Micro$oft, which are a bad bad company who don't really care about people or users, but rather how much money they can get from each poor person who uses their operating system (Windows 95, 98, 2000, Millenium Edition, XP etc.) This browser is not what you would call 'secure' online. It has many known security holes, and can pose a very real threat to both your security and privacy.

Some will have heard of the open source browser called Mozilla Firefox. This browser is free, prevents pop-ups far far better than Internet Explorer, and can also utilize the great power of 'extensions' which are small plugins for use in Firefox. Ask anybody who knows anything about the internet, and who is worth half-their-salt, and they will reccommend Firefox.

Just for arguments sake let's have a look at the extension, logically named 'Adblock'. (Also the version I personally use is called 'Adblock Plus') This brilliant extension can block any muber of links, images or domain names that you desire, therefore they do not show ever again in any web page/site ever again. It's both easy to install and use. Once installed you can simply right-click an image, then click 'Adblock Image...'. You can now see the address of the image, then you click 'ok' to permanently block it. Of course all links that you choose to block can be changed afterward if you wish.

Also worth noting is 'Adblock Filterset.G Updater', which is another extension for use in combination with either Adblock or Adblock Plus. Here is the blurb:

"This is a companion extension to Adblock or Adblock Plus and should be used in conjunction with it. This extension automatically downloads the latest version of Filterset.G every 4-7 days. Filterset.G is an excellent set of filters maintained by G for Adblock that blocks most ads on the internet. In addition, this extension allows you to define your own set of filters that you can add along with Filterset.G during an update."

Mozilla Firefox can be downloaded here

Adblock extension for Firefox can be downloaded here

Adblock Plus extension for Firefox can be downloaded here

Adblock Filterset.G Updater extension for Firefox can be downloaded here

Please please please use Firefox. You might be a little hesitant at first because you have always used 'the blue e', but trust me, you will never regret it. I have never looked back, and neither will you. If at first you find it a little tricky, which it shouldn't be anyway, be persistent. It will import all of you Internet Explorer favourites and settings etc, so there is no need to worry that you'll have to 'start all over again' - you carry on from where you left off, and believe me you'll be happy you did.

Lol n00b.

Firefox sure is better, but is by no means more secure than IE.

Lol n00b.

Firefox sure is better, but is by no means more secure than IE.

May I suggest you ask anyone who knows anything about programming/the web which is more secure, including Microsoft. Point made.

Give me one reason why IE is more secure...

Rofl, ActiveX, nuff said.

I don't use adblock, mainly because these adverts are hilarious.

waajq4.png

Let me explain the situation. Halflife2.net obviously need to get some funding from somewhere

I can guarantee you 100%, that's not true :)

The hosting is free, all the content writers etc.. donate their time and effort for free - any money made from the ads goes straight into Munro's pocket.

honestly. :D

and adblock ftw :D

I think adblocking *yieldmanager* will get rid of the banners on this site.

Still trying to get the ad system working properly, they don't seem to want to ban the crappy ads. Popups have stopped now at least.

Back