HL2 NPC problem

sectrix

Reaction score
I've looked all over for this or a similar problem and can't find anything quite the same.

I'm playing the campaign, on the "Route Kanal" chapter, part 3 apparently. I've just run from the helicopter, rolled explosive barrels down the two slippery slopes to kill the barnacles. A few minutes later, after a load screen, I find myself here: d1_canals_030001.jpg.

According to guides and walk-through videos, at this point a rebel should look in the door slot of the wooden door, manhacks should burst through, I kill them, then move on through the newly opened door.

Instead: d1_canals_030000.jpg

There's the rebel (you can see his legs by the mattress), there's the door (next to the graffiti). Rebel is not moving or saying anything. At first I thought I might have to blow up the door with a barrel. I tried that, which resulted in this:
d1_canals_030003.jpg. I shattered the top part of the door, but you can see the steel plate that the rebel slides back to peek through is still there, floating in space. I can't move on from this point.

What I've tried:
1. Reloading from a save. Unfortunately my saves are all after I got to this part. Spent a good hour running around looking for something I missed.
2. Verifying local files.
3. Deleting and re-downloading local files
4. Everything in-game I could imagine: jumping over the door, trying to blow it up again, shooting the rebel, backtracking as far as I could...

When I do reload a save, the rebel seems to say a word or two before he cuts off real quick. After that he does nothing.

Anyone else have this problem? Or have a solution I should try?

Go to options -> keyboard -> advanced and check enable developer console.

Then press the button bellow Esc on your keyboard (should be either ¬ or ~) and type in "restart" and hit enter. Should start the current map over. Might fix it.

Awesome. This fixed it.

I am indebted to your wisdom.

Thank you for that.

Back