HL2 on DVD?

Mountain Man said:
Installing from multiple CDs isn't that big of a deal. After the initial install, you never have to touch the CDs again (except for the play disc, of course).

You are right, but I'd prefer to have a DVD anyway. It's just less hassle, and when I'm installing I'm always doing something else at the same time and hate having to stop and find a CD and swop it into the CD drive every 2 minutes.

I won't get the DVD version if its more expensive tho.

umop said:
Wow, someone from Gainesville. I'm not the only HL2 fan in central Florida after all! But like most of you, I really want that DVD version as well.

yeah, i moved from Texas last summer.

RoguePsi said:
It's just less hassle, and when I'm installing I'm always doing something else at the same time and hate having to stop and find a CD and swop it into the CD drive every 2 minutes.

that's exactly why i would like a dvd, besides the smaller cases they come in.

RoguePsi said:
Does any other europeans find it funny that certain games weren't available on DVD in the States? I thought you guys were supposed to have everything.

Viva le difference!

Yeah I noticed that too. Thank god we have something better than the US.
I did notice that mobile phones are better available here, for example the nokia 6600 has only recently become available there, we've had it for over 6 months :p .
But still they have the earlier movie releases and HDTV.. damn them :sniper:

/edit: also the "special offers" and contests like on the ATI site are US only.. rebates too ... double damn :sniper::sniper:

Far Cry is only available on CD (5) in Spain. No DVD edition.

DVD edition game is the best... I have had problems in the past with multi cd games, and also the chances of losing one of the cds is greater. just a question, who will buy the game both via steam and on dvd (if steams comes out earlier lol)

I'll be getting it solely on DVD, as I shudder to think of the Steam problems that are gonna be prevalent those first couple days of release.

Mountain Man said:
Installing from multiple CDs isn't that big of a deal. After the initial install, you never have to touch the CDs again (except for the play disc, of course). I'm interested in the special edition not because it's on DVD but because of the extra content that will be included. Rumor has it we'll get a Half-Life 2 t-shirt, a behind the scenes DVD, and possibly the original Half-Life ported to the Source engine.

It's not that big a deal to actually install but lets say it comes on 7 cd's maybe more, who knows...its been in development for quite a while, longer than ut2004 was with 6 cd's then theres like a 80% chance more a disc will get scratched/not work out of the case than 1 disc and dvd's are better anyway.

Alig said:
It's not that big a deal to actually install but lets say it comes on 7 cd's maybe more, who knows...its been in development for quite a while, longer than ut2004 was with 6 cd's then theres like a 80% chance more a disc will get scratched/not work out of the case than 1 disc and dvd's are better anyway.

I very much doubt it will be 7 CD's. That's just getting silly and would cost more to produce. I'd be tempted to say Valve would consider a DVD only release but then they'd lose out on some of the market. Damn you non-DVD people!!

Half-life 2 has spent a long time in production but it doesn't mean its gonna be a HUGE amount of data. 5 years development doesn't mean it'll have 5 times more data then a years development of UT2004.

damn I have no clue why there wasnt a DVD release of farcry in the US. yall bitches need to switch over to DVD. death to the CD!

Mac said:
damn I have no clue why there wasnt a DVD release of farcry in the US. yall bitches need to switch over to DVD. death to the CD!

Yeah! I was surprised too. Here in the UK, you could get the DVD version for as little at £18 (around $30-35).

If i have to use more than 2 disks i'll be tempted to use Steam...

hmm we need a poll on how many people don't have dvd-rom or dvd-rw drive.
I thought EVERYONE has one by now..I bought my first dvd-rom back in 99 and it was already cheap..now dvd burners are often cheaper than cd burners when they go on sale...

I dont see any reason why every game with 2 or more cd's shouldnt be released on DVD

gulo said:
hmm we need a poll on how many people don't have dvd-rom or dvd-rw drive.
I thought EVERYONE has one by now..I bought my first dvd-rom back in 99 and it was already cheap..now dvd burners are often cheaper than cd burners when they go on sale...

I dont see any reason why every game with 2 or more cd's shouldnt be released on DVD

I'm already on it gulo. The poll will be in the hardware forum

Back