HL2 on DVD?

Yellonet

Reaction score
Perhaps only in the CE?

Not that it matters that much... but it would be nice to be able to choose CD or DVD.

Edit: Please delete if posted annoyingly many times.

I work at gamstop and and i didnt see a dvd version in our system of hl2 but who cares right.

I think I read one interview where Gabe said there will be no DVD versions.

make sure you guys reserve the special edition hard cover book (limited)
over 1000 pictures in it of the making of hl2 :)

I want a freakin' DVD version. I can't stand this multi-CD bullshit.

KagePrototype said:
Then download it from Steam. No CDs or DVDs to worry about. :p

Exactly!!! And more money goes into VALVe's pocket and not into the store you bought it from and not as much to VU... Correct me if I'm wrong tho :bounce:

KagePrototype said:
Then download it from Steam. No CDs or DVDs to worry about. :p

But I like having a manual...

And a case...

well, you DO know you can buy the boxed version and just put the cd-key into steam.

I think there will be a CD edition and a DVD one.. hopefully :p

I certainly hope there is a dvd version of the game. Especially if the game is over 4 gigs. I got a good laugh out of my friends installing their UT2004 with 6 discs and me putting in my dvd once and walking away.

I certainly hope there is a dvd version of the game. Especially if the game is over 4 gigs. I got a good laugh out of my friends installing their UT2004 with 6 discs and me putting in my dvd once and walking away.

Yeah, I'll laugh when my friends put in their dvd in the drive while I just type in the cdkey in steam and start playing

Absinthe said:
But I like having a manual...

And a case...
I feel the exact same way. I want a DVD version so i dont have to seal with all those CDs, but i like hardcopys of games.

FoB_Ed said:
Yeah, I'll laugh when my friends put in their dvd in the drive while I just type in the cdkey in steam and start playing

That's not exactly what's gonna happen. First you're gonna DL a decoder, then it's going to decode/unzip your already chached HL2 files... THEN you can start playing. This should take quite a while, and might take a day just when HL2 is released cuz of server overload.

Maybe they'll do it WoW CE style, include both CD installation and a DVD installation in the package. Makes sense that way, for the CE, anyway.

I wonder if i can buy it off Steam without a creditcard. Since i don't have one.

I don't mind if HL2 comes on CD's because:

1. It's worth the wait
2. It's only going to be three cd's (or so I've heard), plus probably one for CS:Source.

Ralfst3r said:
I wonder if i can buy it off Steam without a creditcard. Since i don't have one.

It's quiet simple... You can't.
Either get one, or get it in the local game shop

By the way... I see every new member being heartly wished welcome. And nobody have wished me welcome :(

btw. i'v beeing thinking about a quite interesting, and funny thing heh.
I think people want to buy the game in the shop, beside of through steam, because you get this happy feeling saying "god damn it. There's the baby" and also because you have a physic object you can touch, in your hand. well I defiantly want to buy the game at a game shop because of the feeling you get. The steam version is more like "oh, well hl2 is being downloaded to my PC... ****ing CONNECTION! :)"

Gabe has said that there WILL be a DVD version

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showpost.php?p=48168&postcount=126
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showpost.php?p=110543&postcount=242

It's too bad that the search function is crap on this forum (It will often not return all the actually results, and it can't do words like DVD) otherwise I could have just told be to search the "Info from Valve" thread. I'm pretty sure Gabe also said that the Collectors Edition would be DVD only... But I can't find where he mentioned that..

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

I want mine to be on floppy disc since I dont have a CD or DVD ROM.

PlagueX said:
It's quiet simple... You can't.
Either get one, or get it in the local game shop

By the way... I see every new member being heartly wished welcome. And nobody have wished me welcome :(
Welcome :naughty:

HL2 on DVD?

No..
on VHS..

OMG.. was that a bad joke or what..
I want Hl2 on a single DVD..
Sure.. Everybody doesn't have DVD players on their PC's..
It's like 2004.. and i Really dont want to switch cd's under installment..

(then download it via steam)... NO thank you..
Im not using that Propaganda machine...
im Buying.. and i want my DVD!! GOT THAT VALVE!!! :p ;)

I really hope there's a DVD version, installing The Sims 2 with 4 CDs was a bit of a whore.

According to Gabe, there will be a DVD version. See my previous post.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

That's not exactly what's gonna happen. First you're gonna DL a decoder, then it's going to decode/unzip your already chached HL2 files... THEN you can start playing. This should take quite a while, and might take a day just when HL2 is released cuz of server overload.

Well, the CSS beta didn't take more than a few minutes to extract, so I imagine HL2 will just take slightly longer

NetWarriorDan said:
How many floppies HL2 will come on?

Considering that HL2 size will be ~4GB then you'll need 5760 floppies.

If stacked in one pile they would form a 17.28 meters (or 51.84 ft) tall tower of floppies.

Laid next to each other they would form a 518.4 (1555.2 ft)meters long line of floppies.

Considering that average floppy weights about 50g. Then you'd need to carry approx. 288 kg (640 lb) of floppies.

Having an average whole-disk read time of ~1 min, you'd spend 5760 min = 96hrs = 4 days non stop swapping floppies.
If I were you, I'd pray that disk 5759 doesn't get corrupted. :rolling:

i dont think theres a real reason to rls it on DVD, CD will work fine and a lot of people still dont have computer DVD drives, i know i dont and ive never had a need for one... Personally, im getting it on steam!!!!

UndeadScottsman said:
Gabe has said that there WILL be a DVD version

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showpost.php?p=48168&postcount=126
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showpost.php?p=110543&postcount=242

It's too bad that the search function is crap on this forum (It will often not return all the actually results, and it can't do words like DVD) otherwise I could have just told be to search the "Info from Valve" thread. I'm pretty sure Gabe also said that the Collectors Edition would be DVD only... But I can't find where he mentioned that..

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

thanks for that clarification :)
i must have missed that because i didn't know Valve had said anything about DVD versions.

anyway DVD version for me :cheers:

Sims 2 has a DVD version, or you can use 4 cd's. I think dual-media releases are going to start being a pretty standard.

Combine17 said:
Considering that HL2 size will be ~4GB then you'll need 5760 floppies.

If stacked in one pile they would form a 17.28 meters (or 51.84 ft) tall tower of floppies.

Laid next to each other they would form a 518.4 (1555.2 ft)meters long line of floppies.

Considering that average floppy weights about 50g. Then you'd need to carry approx. 288 kg (640 lb) of floppies.

Having an average whole-disk read time of ~1 min, you'd spend 5760 min = 96hrs = 4 days non stop swapping floppies.
If I were you, I'd pray that disk 5759 doesn't get corrupted. :rolling:

That was good ;) The install would take longer than the game would to complete. But at least once you get sick of the game, you'll have enough coasters for every party you'd ever throw.

And isn't it always disk 5759 that ends up being corrupted?
------

As for me, think I'll go with the DVD version also. I never minded swapping out CD's but games are getting too big and I'm getting far too lazy in my old age.

Dead-Inside said:

There will be one last preload, I imagine, that has a dated "decoder", to unencrypt the files on the release date, as well as the files that we do not have. It will be all set to go then.

If the game is 6 cd's, which is 4.2 gig using 100% full 700 meg cd's, and we already have ~2.5 gigs, they will have the last big preload at least a week before gold date......

Back