HL2 on DVD?

[[LuCkY]] said:
Surely you know how to play without a manual.

Most of the time developers put some cool background info in the manual that is fun to read while the game is installing. It also serves as a handy quick reference without having to pause the game to go to the menu to look at control configurations, etc.

Everytime this comes up I say the same thing: If a compuet doesn't have a DVD-drive, it wont be able to play HL2 anyway; Make it DVD

A lot of people upgrade their computers and don't see upgrading their disc drive as a priority due to most games coming out on CD. There are probably people with top of the range computers that have CD drives...I only got a DVD drive when my old CD drive went bust. :E

I would not trust those answers about DVD version from Gabe.

They are from 2003, and a lot has changed with regards to publishers wants since then, with Sierra they wanted 3 different SKU's for singleplayer only ect so I would get more up to date clarification.

Yetskii said:
There will be one last preload, I imagine, that has a dated "decoder", to unencrypt the files on the release date, as well as the files that we do not have. It will be all set to go then.

If the game is 6 cd's, which is 4.2 gig using 100% full 700 meg cd's, and we already have ~2.5 gigs, they will have the last big preload at least a week before gold date......

The game is 3.5 gigs uncompressed, 2 gigs compressed.. It'll fit on 3 CD's easy in that case.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

johnmedz said:
i dont think theres a real reason to rls it on DVD, CD will work fine and a lot of people still dont have computer DVD drives, i know i dont and ive never had a need for one... Personally, im getting it on steam!!!!

hm, alot of the computers here sell with DVD Players. Even the lower range ones come with them. They're not that expensive now.

i can't ****ing stand publishers ****ing over the public like this, it costs the company MAYBE 30 cents to pump out one more plastic disc, so WHY THE **** don't they?!?!?

i've had this spiffy DVD-ROM for YEARS now, and lord help me if i've ever got any use out of it. The companies wanna keep us on the consumer treadmill, but they won't even keep up their end of the bargain! remember when software used to come in 5.25" and 3.5" version floppies IN THE SAME BOX??????

someone please tell me HOW LONG have dvd-roms been almost standard on any new pc??? and please guess on how long the publishers will continue to **** us?

i used to care for that pretty piece of cardboard, but i'm gonna buy on steam, and feel very good about not giving a red cent to those ****ing nazi publishers

/end rant

boomyak said:
i can't ****ing stand publishers ****ing over the public like this, it costs the company MAYBE 30 cents to pump out one more plastic disc, so WHY THE **** don't they?!?!?

i've had this spiffy DVD-ROM for YEARS now, and lord help me if i've ever got any use out of it. The companies wanna keep us on the consumer treadmill, but they won't even keep up their end of the bargain! remember when software used to come in 5.25" and 3.5" version floppies IN THE SAME BOX??????

someone please tell me HOW LONG have dvd-roms been almost standard on any new pc??? and please guess on how long the publishers will continue to **** us?

i used to care for that pretty piece of cardboard, but i'm gonna buy on steam, and feel very good about not giving a red cent to those ****ing nazi publishers

/end rant

It's not as if they torched your village and ate your baby, calm down.

KagePrototype said:
It's not as if they torched your village and ate your baby, calm down.

:O maybe they did :eek: hehe j/k

anywoo.....there are publishers for a reason still. They do the things that a game company doesn't normally do, like advertising, disturbuting blah blah blah. valve make the games, VUG do the boring stuff. But their specilized in it and valve pay less to them.

More stress off valve.

software publishers killed my father, and raped my sister

no but seriously, i'm suprized i'm the only one who'se fed up with this bullshit. i mean, why don't they just give us HL2 on 700 1.44MB diskettes, i mean, it's still the same product right?

they don't because they invented the cd-rom, and when the first external $1000 2x CD-ROM drives weren't even commonplace on the market, publishers were including an "extra" cd disk version of the program, to help encourage acceptance withing the consumer marketplace of this new technology

*note: how many publishing companies went under because they decided to "splurge" the extra 10 cents per box?

now, 12 years later, i'd venture to guess there's hundreds of millions of dvd-roms scattered throughout the globe, and yet FARCRY was still 5 CDs

this time around, the consumers have been trained like pavlov's dogs to salivate when a new media medium comes out, even if at BEST you'll have to find one of the SELECT games out there that decided to release a "special dvd box set" months after the initial release.

it's funny because they're actually trying to get the public hyped about double sided, double stacked dvds these days. WOW i can't wait! i'll order one today! then maybe i'll have it in time to see someone make use to this technology sometime in the next 20 years!

the world should have stayed with the 8-track

Back