HL2 (ps3): stuck in Nova Prospekt - gate switch isn't working

argelius

Reaction score
Hope this is the right place to post this.

I am playing Half Life 2 on a PS3 and am in the Nova Prospekt level.

I am currently stuck and can't tell if I've missed some secret, or something is broken with the game. Anyway, I've gotten through the forcefield where the alien is dead in the barber's chair, which allowed me to open up a gate to a stairway.

At the top of the stairs is room with an observation monitor and with windows with a view of a locked gate on the floor below.

On the wall below the window is a switch (two red lights) which (based on the walkthroughs I've researched) is supposed to open up the gate below and allow me to progress.

Unfortunately, pressing the buttons on that switch doesn't do anything.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks.

the switch on the 2nd floor should have opened the gate.

It really must have been a glitch or something. I pushed the switch about a billion time and it never turned green or activated the gate. I finally started the level completely over and this time the switch worked.

Now I am in the next level and am having another issue that I don't think has anything to do with me. I'm in another control room (also with a video monitor). In this room there are 3 switches, two of which are inactive. When I throw the one active switch and it turns green, the gate outsidethe room, I assume, is supposed to open. The light above it turns from red to green, but it doesn't open... Strange.

I've had the same glitch a couple times in the PC version as well. Try loading back to an earlier time before you get to the gate switch (which is obnoxious because you'll probably have to fight through all that bs to get to that room again) and see if it works then.

Just in case anyone else googles this problem, I realised that it happens when there is something blocking one of the gates from opening. It opens partially, then closes straight away leaving the second gate closed as well. Best strategy is to remove all boxes/furniture from that area prior to flipping the switch :)

Back