HL2 sends mi back to desktop...

N

Noisiver

Everytime the game loads till the blurry city loading screen the screen will turn black and then send mi back to the desktop...
I don't even get to c the menu or change the settings... X_X
Any suggestions on how to solve this?

eh, system specs would be useful!

How do you expect people to diagnose the problem if we have no idea what hardware/software you are using??

List your Motherboard/CPU/Memory/Graphics Card/Sound Card/Operating System and give us a chance!!!

My specs are...
AMD Athlon 2000
Windows XP SP2
768Mb RAM
GeForce FX 5600 256
Built-in Soundcard

I have the same problem i think. I got the intro valve screen and then back to desktop, no error message.

my config:

AMD xp 2600
1Ghz ram (pc3200)
geforce ti 4200 (latest driver)
directx 9.0c ( it tried with directx 8.1, but it change nothing)

same sh*t..

same problem here on high-end system.. config:
A64, ASUS K8V Deluxe, kingston 512MB-400, Sapphire X800 PRO VIVO 256MB, old classic SB! live value, WIN XP PRO sp1.

dammmit!! I waited days near the post office to get this game!!! Work already!!!

ok so i re-installed DirectX9.c, restarts.. Try to run the game.. well, i get to go to the main menu!! yyyey! but.. it's not full screen, it's windowed. so I enters the Graphic menua, change it to full screen, and then i get this message everybody is talking about with the memory! I try to run the game again, no i get the previous error again (kicks me to desktop!).. weird..

Hey, i found a solution to my problem:
copy the content of the bin folder into your halflife folder an that's it!!

It works now for me

i have the same problem, n it only started happening after i got that stupid patch!

zeraw30 said:
copy the content of the bin folder into your halflife folder an that's it!!

can you be more specific about the folders? nothings working for me, what the hell is going on?!

suppose your game is installed in c:\half-life2, copy the content of the folder c:\half-life2\bin\ into folder c:\halfl-life2

Do any of you have the DVD edition? If you do, you may need to go to your DVD manufacturer's website and download (and install) the latest firmware for your DVD drive.

i bought my game through steam with a credit card. both CSS and HL2 stopped working after the sound stutter patch.

i tried copying the files too, it doesnt work.

how about some real answers here?!

Dan_Houser_82 said:
i bought my game through steam with a credit card. both CSS and HL2 stopped working after the sound stutter patch.

i tried copying the files too, it doesnt work.

how about some real answers here?!

You might have gotten a bum patch. Not sure it will help, but the standard STEAM fix never hurts.

Shutdown STEAM

Go to Program Files\Valve\Steam

Delete the ClientRegistry.blob file (if you'd prefer, you can simply remove it from that folder and place it somewhere else for safe keeping).

Restart STEAM

STEAM will now reinstall all the updates as if you'd never gotten them.

As I said, it may not fix your problem, but it's another way to eliminate possibilities.

Back