HL2 Single Player MOD In Planning !

Sniper

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Me and a team of friends are currently planning a HL2 Single Player MOD (As the thread title states), my question is, when will the HL2 Modifier be released and where can we get it from ?

But it only has CS:S stuff at the moment. The Half-Life 2 material will probably be released on the 16th, or a little bit after.

This may sound a little retarded but what does SDK stand for ? lol

Service Development Kit? i think :|

EDIT: or Software Development Kit

Ah Ok, so if its only for CS:S now then i should get it middle of this month if i want it for HL2 ??? Where can it get it ?

Technically we dont have any of the actual coding tools, only the mapping tools.

If we had the coding tools now we could start developing server mods, but not proper HL2 mods.

Hmmmm, Well we are only planning it from now to December, we will start the actual mod Beginning of next year.

while waiting for the SDK, tell us a bit about your mod. I can maybe help, i do 3d modeling :)

Well we have a basic Plot at the moment and we are still building on it and editing on it of course, but what we are thinking at the moment is You are a terrorist and it starts off with you and your team on a speed boat going to hijack this cruise ship thats sailing somewhere (not sure yet), you end up on the main deck (after a bit of exploring of course) the ship eventually either ends up crashing or the engines explode (which ever one we need to think how). The screen goes black and you hear heavy breathing, you wake up (screen is blurred at first then comes into focus), there are dead bodies all around you and the ship is totally wrecked, you are on a tropical island and after picking up your first weapon (maybe a machette, or similar) you walk into the jungle in front of you, after a few minutes of walking and slashing vines you hear a gunshot and a bullet just misses your head and hits a tree trunk next to you, someone appears from the bushes in ripped clothes and is in a state, he takes you to his hut and this is where the story begins to unfold.

This may be a bit long but it is the beginning at the moment and is only a rough idea. I have a plan written out which includes weapon ideas, graphical/environment ideas and also vheicle ideas.

Sounds a bit like Tarzan meets the Counter Strike film.

(btw its nothing to do with cs the game, its just a really crapy film called counter strike on the QE2 cruise liner with lots of terrorists for those who havent seen it)

lol never heard of it :rolleyes: Either way, this is our first mod and we want to make it a good one, we are currently looking for experienced 3D Modlers to help when the time comes, if there are any please let me know.

It has nothing to do with Farcry, it really annoys me when people say something like that, the fact that the beginning of the mod is set in a jungle may be similar but that is only the beginning of the game, there are going to be many other areas added into it, so dont go jumping to conclusions that its a farcry rip off before its made please.

Many Thanks

I can tell this mod is going to go far...

*shakes head*

Think what you want, as you no nothing of it yet apart from the rough beginning which is sure to change.

You didnt know what SDK stands for, you didnt know the SDK is out and you didnt even know when HL2 is out.

Hell you didnt even know where to get it from, Mr.Organised :)

Well for starters i did know when HL2 was released, secondly this is our first mod so no, i didnt know what SDK stood for but oh well, you gotta learn sometime, so thankyou mr.ithinkiknowitall

Im not saying that I know it all.

Its insulting to think someone who wants to mod HL2 doesnt even know when its out. Whatever - good luck.

omg are you totally retarded or something, i mentioned above that ive known when it was going to be released for some time now, when i said when is it out i was referring to SDK not HL2, but i was informed a version of SDK is already out. Anyway i really cannot be bothered to argue with you, its one of the main reasons i dont usually use many forums i because people go on and moan about stuff which causes arguments and its really quite pathetic so lets just drop the topic here.

Sniper said:
Well for starters i did know when HL2 was released, secondly this is our first mod so no, i didnt know what SDK stood for but oh well, you gotta learn sometime, so thankyou mr.ithinkiknowitall
Say, sniper do I know you? There's been a guy with your name on the stalker forum that talks like you, and has the same kind of plans.

and the stalker forum would be ????
I hardly ever use forums, the only ones i use are this one and occasionaly the Steam Powered forum and Halo 2 Forum. So no i dont think you know me ?

Sniper said:
and the stalker forum would be ????
I hardly ever use forums, the only ones i use are this one and occasionaly the Steam Powered forum and Halo 2 Forum. So no i dont think you know me ?
Oh oke, guess I dont then.

The full SDK is being released shortly after Half-Life 2, FYI.

ah gd gd, finally someone answers lol, cheers for that

Sounds like the Far Cry engine would be better choice; Source doesn't handle vegetation or tropical islands that well.

And, perhaps you should try something a bit easier to start with, you sound like you have no clue what work goes into a mod, or even where you would start.

Do you have any coders on your mod team? Any mappers? Any texture artists? Any scripters? Audio & music artists? A design document? A plan?

1. Screw the FarCry Engine
2. Of course we have a plan that is why the thread is called "HL2 mod in planning"
3. It is only in planning, it could change alot in a matter of seconds if we wanted to, its only a rough outline anyway.

This sounds like a very ambitious project for you and your team. To keep you from getting discouraged and giving up, might i suggest that you start with making a multiplayer map for CS:S? You could set it in a jungle like you want, and incorporate some of your ideas without needing to commit the time needed for an entire single player game. I think you might be aiming a bit to high if this is your first mod. Start with a map, get some player feedback, and go from there.

Start small and then progress. There are hundreds (thousands?) of mods that nobody has ever heard of simply because they're started but never finished. A lot of times due to goals that are more ambitious than the creators are capable of delivering (not a slam against you, just an observation).

Sniper said:
1. Screw the FarCry Engine
2. Of course we have a plan that is why the thread is called "HL2 mod in planning"
3. It is only in planning, it could change alot in a matter of seconds if we wanted to, its only a rough outline anyway.

hmm.. are u guys incorporating the feature of allowing friends to play through the SP togther? like Co-op mode.

whats wrong with the FarCry engine? good gfx, awesome outdoors..

lol when i said Screw the Farcry engine i was just a bit pissed off, im sooo sorry oh Crytek god :( please forgive me
Either way, i agree with what your saying mate, i think i will start with a map, sounds like a good idea and work our way up... hmmm

P.S - I actually love Farcry

If you're the project lead you need to be more patient too. It takes a lot of time, and with a short fuse you'll never get anything done.

Yeah i do have a bit of a short fuse, but i know it takes time, we aint rushin anything, taking our time and seeing how it goes.

Well, best of luck to you. I also would suggest that you start small, try making a map and a few models and seeing how that goes, you mentioned that jungle wouldn't be the only setting. Don't get too ambitious, when you stay in one setting you can reuse textures, but when you switch it really ramps up the development time.
I hope you decide to make your mod, but don't get your hopes too high otherwise you will be discouraged.

Back