Hl2 Sky

F

fbuko

I havnt seen much footage of the skylines, but can clouds in the sky move and is there lightening elements.It would be very good if sunlight gets blocked every now and then from passing clouds etc. Also wondering if you can see smoke from buildings burning in the backgrounds and if wind resistance comes into effect during gameplay such as moving trees and doors rattling.

I don't think they have much skybox activity in the actual game, but they do have simulated wind, and there are definitely smoke effects.

They even built a mini-cyclone. Dunno if that will go in the game though.

Mechagodzilla said:
I don't think they have much skybox activity in the actual game, but they do have simulated wind, and there are definitely smoke effects.

They even built a mini-cyclone. Dunno if that will go in the game though.

Hadn't heard about that... sounds amusing though.

We have at least one area filled with really big radial saw blades. That just begs for a tornado or 2. :)

I'm sure it could be done, theres so much the're leaving for mod makers to discover :D

They even built a mini-cyclone. Yes Gabe stated that long time ago.

So much stuff to find out when we actualy play the game =D

Has anyone noticed the comparitively low skybox quality in the latest screens? You can see the pixels in the strider pic.

Heh instead of playing the actual game, we all are just gonna watch the sky.

This can be done, its the VERY FIRST HL2 trailer, pre e3 2003.

Varsity said:
Has anyone noticed the comparitively low skybox quality in the latest screens? You can see the pixels in the strider pic.

No, not noticed it, looks good to me

I think the skyboxes look fine myself.. I mean, sure not as impressive as the good old 2d hl1 ones... but still.

The Mistress said:
I think the skyboxes look fine myself.. I mean, sure not as impressive as the good old 2d hl1 ones... but still.

amen :p you speaketh teh truth :D

morrowind

the shy in morrowind is the most realistic ive seen

why are those ultra zombies in the picture skinny and skeletal, i wouldve thought that the ultra zombies would of been beefed up like in oposing force, deson't matter much thought as long as the game stays interesting, unlike some newly released first person shooters...

king John I said:
why are those ultra zombies in the picture skinny and skeletal, i wouldve thought that the ultra zombies would of been beefed up like in oposing force, deson't matter much thought as long as the game stays interesting, unlike some newly released first person shooters...

it'll be interesting, when all you hear is the screams of those monkey zombies (i think someone on here reffered to them as that) then one jumps into your face!

boo! :burp:

jumps into my face? jumps into my precisly amied volly of shot more like

i dont know if that screenshot of the monkey zombie is older or newer than the leaked version. in that the zombies are not skeletal they have full bodies.

Has Valve stated anything about meterological effects, such as snow, hail, fire and brimstone, etc? I know there was rain in aztec in the CS:S video.

I'm gonna guess that this is "something you could go in a mod" :p

Tyrsenus said:
Has Valve stated anything about meterological effects, such as snow, hail, fire and brimstone, etc? I know there was rain in aztec in the CS:S video.

I'm gonna guess that this is "something you could go in a mod" :p

Fire and brimstone would be a nice addition.

this sounds weird, but ive always been waiting for a gmae to have realistic overcast...just clouds...anything that gets me away from this desolate place called the mojave desert..

nw909 said:
Fire and brimstone would be a nice addition.

amen. And maybe you can get Jerry Falwell to call them down upon you :farmer:

If you watch the Traptown video (Bink version) when Gordon is on the roof, I think I can see clouds moving.

those skeletal zombies are probally zombies that are dying of starvation....

Read somewhere that the skeletal jobbers are a lot faster than the normal zombies. That could be interesting. :)

I hope theres settings for sky details/fog etc.. in the options, so people with decent hardware can have proper atomospheric conditions

The skeletal zombies are alot faster then normal zombies and according to some Swedish Preview (that one where the guy asks why the Lambda symbol is a symbol for homosexuals) they hunt in packs and are quite vicious. Sounds to me like some action packed running-around-flailing-arms-in-panic fun

Suddenly the HL2 engine doesn't impress me anymore....

Damn you....Unreal 3, damn you (haha, damn you...get it?) Doom 3 (Doom 3 isn't all that much better, if at all, but..it's just, it's pretty much on Par :( )

Oh well, there's always amazing, azmazing, jaw dropping gameplay/storyline.

Plus CS:Source.

Well, the HL2 graphics may not be king of the hill anymore, (depending on your point of view) but I still think that the gameplay is what will have me giggling for a long time. I mean, I just got out of a game of HL1. I still like the gameplay there... and I'm pretty sure that HL2 looks better. :)

I remeber reading back in '03 when everybody was really crazy about sky boxes (mostly because of Stalker's absolutely jaw dropping one) that HL2 would have a fully 3D and animated sky box, so I would expect to see moving clouds. But that could have been changed since then.

UNREAL 3 is next generation, i'm not talking the next gen like DOOM III HL2, im talking the generation after DOOM III and HL2. This game is distant.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has THE best skybox effects in the world bar non. If you haven't seen moving footage of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. then get it NOW, it's worth it!!!

HL2 will undoubtedly have this function. VALVE wouldn't simply leave this very important feature out. I have seen clouds cross over the moon, and i do believe the movie with striders has moving clouds. This is undoubtedly one of the secrets VALVE are keeping from us, they want to surprise us with a snow storm, heavy rain and cyclones! they have to leave some surprises right? this is definetly something i'd want to keep a surprise.

fbuko said:
I havnt seen much footage of the skylines, but can clouds in the sky move and is there lightening elements.It would be very good if sunlight gets blocked every now and then from passing clouds etc. Also wondering if you can see smoke from buildings burning in the backgrounds and if wind resistance comes into effect during gameplay such as moving trees and doors rattling.
It has moving clouds and apparantly some kind of wind emitters that "might" effect physics objects aswell as particles.

Back