HL2 through Steam - $50. Fair?

Is $50 a fair price for HL2 through Steam?

• Yes. VALVe deserves it.

Votes: 105 65.2%
  • No. Why pay the same for less, and let VALVe reap the benifits?

Votes: 56 34.8%

• Total voters
Well they can't make the price to low....
Vivendi would sue them for taking the market share with unfare prices. Then its unfair to those that buy retail.

Tiddalick said:
Well they can't make the price to low....
Vivendi would sue them for taking the market share with unfare prices. Then its unfair to those that buy retail.

Unfair price would be $20 steam and $50 retail. $10 is perfectly normal for a price deviation for a product being sold different ways.

GorgeousOrifice said:
More power to you if you want to buy the box. [...] Valve has no moral obligation to pass any savings on to you. If they did, great, but if not, no foul.
Sure, but as consumers, is it not within our right to say that we dissaprove? Consumer power is weak in this country because of people who accept this as statis quo. If more people stood up and made their voice heard, it would be a very different situation.

And as I've stated multiple times in this thread, I'm buying the fking gold edition. Still, I am pissed at VALVe (and, right now, dissapointed with HL2.net users)

I love when people say they're going to buy steam to take a crack at vivendi and help valve. What they don't realise is that Valve in time will turn into just another greedy, peice of shit developer/publisher like Interplay and all the others that started off as just developers and turned into money loving crap-fests.

hiln said:
Valve in time will turn into just another greedy, peice of shit developer/publisher like Interplay and all the others that started off as just developers and turned into money loving crap-fests.
It has already begun.

Negative... I think having a manual and box will be very good 4 me. :D

Especially if you can get it for the same price.

I think I should point out again, that like it was said earlier in the thread, Valve probably cannot sell the game for any less than retail price. If they did sell it, for lets say $35, $40 USD, then everyone with a decent internet connection would buy it over steam. This means that Vivendi would most likely end up getting didly squat for revenue since most of it would go directly to Valve. I don't think they would like this AT ALL, and is why they don't like Steam in the first place. Anyways, I think the Valve HAS to do this in order NOT to piss off Vivendi anymore by actively trying to cut into its store retail sales.

Oh, and finally, stop complaining about it being only $50 bucks. Over here in Canada, the average game costs $75-80, and thats not even for anything special! Just plain vanilla. And on average we get payed the same wage as the guy over in the states who is doing the same job. So the price increase over here is not solely because of our weak dollar.

hmm i suppose its pretty fair.

although since valve delayed the game, we should be allowed to delay our payment. no money down for 1 year!

Its a fair price even with bronze you get two games. I like the pricing. Silver or gold for me.

It's an outrage after so long for them to charge those prices over steam. Not that I will buy over steam.

You cut out the middle man and it's still $50! Pound sand is what I say!

Not to mention that the other packages are rippoffs. But no one will care. They get to play CS:s right away, (WOOP DEE DOO!) I think this whole thing stinks and I will find myself the best price for HL2 MY SELF.

i'm actually surprised at the cost of the gold package. 90$ translates into about 630 norwegian kroner. Last time i bought an xbox game it cost me 600kr. So i am actually pleased about this...i was expecting it to be a bit more expensive.

I forgot to include shipping and handling, so its probably be about 700kr for me to buy. Even thought that might seem like alot of money, its actually quite cheap for such a kickass package IMO

wonkers said:
EX-F'n-ACTLY.

How come most of the fools here dont understand this?

I thought the HL2 community had smarts.

f|uke said:
EX-F'n-ACTLY.

How come most of the fools here dont understand this?

I thought the HL2 community had smarts.
Didn't someone already say the situation with Vivendi? They can't undercut retail...

I see what you're saying, but it just can't be done yet... they'd have to ditch the publisher altogether and go Steam-only...

Letters said:
Didn't someone already say the situation with Vivendi? They can't undercut retail...
Is this verified? Is this fact? If so I will be more accepting... and pray that their future contracts with publishers are far less constrictive.

Still it seems that many of the voices here think $50 via Steam is the same as $50 via Retail, and do not see the huge difference between how the pie is sliced.

Spiffae said:
here's my guess. valve cannot undercut Vivendi by selling HL2 in any form for less than vivendi is selling the standard retail package. they probably would like to sell for less, but that would be sneaky business practices, and is probably detailed in their 2001 agreement.

That seems like the best guess to me as well. Surely their contract has something written about this.

I think the pricing is fine and I'm actually surprised the silver and gold aren't a bit more $$ considering what they come with.

wonkers said:
It's an outrage after so long for them to charge those prices over steam. Not that I will buy over steam.

Not to mention that the other packages are rippoffs. But no one will care. They get to play CS:s right away, (WOOP DEE DOO!) I think this whole thing stinks and I will find myself the best price for HL2 MY SELF.

EXACTLY WHAT I SAID!

f|uke said:
Is this verified? Is this fact? If so I will be more accepting... and pray that their future contracts with publishers are far less constrictive.

Still it seems that many of the voices here think $50 via Steam is the same as $50 via Retail, and do not see the huge difference between how the pie is sliced.

It hasn't been confirmed, but I would bet money on the fact that Valve would not be able to undercut retail price, if they have to release it at the same time as retail, why would they be allowed to undercut the price? It makes no business sense. If Vivendi did not inculde a clause like this in their contract I will be enourmously surprised.

On second thoughts, I might buy silver.

It's valve's tactic to make us buy that version in particular as they know it's:
1) Better than Bronze
2) Seems as a fairer deal
3) They'll get $10 more - and the fact that two more games are included (HL:S and DOD:S) extra will be more than compensated with the ammount of silver packages sold.

and tbh, it's working on me. :p

Bandwith does cost some $$$ and 4.5 gigs is alot when you got alot of people dling

Valve Doesn't deserve special treatment because we like their game! And no one else cares about cost because it's not their money being BURNED.

I will buy the same thing you will for less at future shop the day it comes out just like I did for UT2k4. I got it for cheaper the first day than it is now.

They lower the price for hot games the first day. Samething for DOOM3. So go ahead and waste your money on steam. I will get a hard copy for less then SCAN MY RECETE for you. Hows that? would you like to see that?

the prices came in exactly as i thought they would.
i expected to pay $US90 for gold and so it is...

consider also the Steam deals are targeted internationally, in every country except America games are very expensive, in Australia Bronze steam works out much cheaper then HL2 retail will be (assuming it will cost $A90+ like most AAA new releases)

I don't think Valve has any control in the situation, especially since there is already a lawsuit underway. If the price was less, then it coiuld be argued that they had done so intentionally, in order to screw Vivendi in sales.
Steam is required just to activate the game, whether retail or not, apparantly, so why do i want a cd? So i have to put it in every time i start the game? If anything, STEAM versions are better. If you don't need the cd after activation with retail, however...

Still won't affect my purchase tho...still going to buy what i orinally intended.

wonkers said:
They lower the price for hot games the first day. Samething for DOOM3. So go ahead and waste your money on steam. I will get a hard copy for less then SCAN MY RECETE for you. Hows that? would you like to see that?
I doubt anyone gives a shit...

Look at it this way--at least you won't have to put in the CD/DVD while playing!

its too pricy
i'd expect this price for a boxed version but no way for an online distributed game

Personally, I'd rather have the money go to Valve than Vivendi...Valve has been done with the game since September 15th. If it wasn't for Vivendi we'd have the game right now.

Screw Vivendi, give the money to Valve.

overall, I dont like the "pay for it now, and you can have it when it is done" deal Valve are doing right now.

we have absolutely no clue what DOD:S is besides its dod ported over.. they said CS:S was the only one they were putting the most effort into didnt they?

buy silver, you can play cs:s now, and when hl2 becomes available (up to six months) you can play it THAT SECOND!!!!!! (omfg!! wewwwtszz!!!11one)

not only that, but if/when we slap DOD:S together you can wait for that one too!!!!!!! and play it the second it is dela- err released.

I would rather the money go to Valve too.. but perhaps its all spinned media, why the hell do we like Valve?
marketing strategies, and pr bullshit.

For me here in the UK, prices seem fair. For Silver (which will have more than the retail version in the shops) comes to about £28, which is the around what you pay for a game here anyway, ok so it doesnt have manual / CD but you get HL S & DOD S thrown in as well (which arent included in retail version)

Gold comes to £55 which isnt too bad for what you get. Personally I might go for gold, depending on what the shipping costs are gonna be.

As for the complaints from people, noone is forcing you to buy it, off Steam or in the shops. If you are that bothered about $10-20 what not wait a year until it goes to budget? Then it'll be even CHEAPER and you can scan us another copy of your sales receipt.

Im pretty sure what other people have said is true. Valve wont be able to undercut the retail prices set by VU, otherwise they would sue their asses off. Im would think VU would have set up that clause in the contract when they gave Valve online distribution rights.....this is a multinational company we're talking about here, they wouldnt have been so stupid not to put a clause in about online pricing set by Valve....

Bronze version vs boxed standard:

1. support Valve over VUG!

2. you pay $50...if you pre-order you pay $55+tax in store or $55+shipping online. That is almost $60 in store and at least $60 online!

3.You get to play CS:S right away compared to late Nov...Dec...whenever!

No contest!

er guys

Steam costs money to operate. Yes its fair. It actually works out cheaper in the UK.

why the hell do we like Valve?

Lets see um.. heres 1 reason:

HALF-LIFE 2

hiln said:
All is far in love for money.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I haven't read this thread yet, I just saw your sig and thought I'd commend you for listening to such an amazing band. You like The Decemberists? Very similar

I'm wondering that if i buy silver or gold on steam, whether they will write up some instructions or have a program to burn the game onto a disc

I don't want to have to re-download everything everytime i reformat (4-5 times a year). So me wants hard copy, but just burning the cache ain't really all that great.........

but just burning the cache ain't really all that great.........

whats wrong with burning the cache onto a few CDs?
buy it from a shop u just get CDs full of cache files + steam installer.

How is it fair to pay the same ammount for a product they dont have to ship, print, package, or anything of the sort? maintaining steam is a ine item compaired to shipping a game. This is bullshit quite frankly, and I wish I could say I wouldnt be buying it. I would like to revise my previous stance on an issue.

**** vug, those greedy bastards

is now

**** vug and valve, those greedy bastards.

That said, if I feel rich enough I do intend to buy it, just because I hate vug slightly more than valve. and by the way, why the **** do I have to pay 60 bucks to get dod:s? anyone?

IonizeMyAtoms said:
I haven't read this thread yet, I just saw your sig and thought I'd commend you for listening to such an amazing band. You like The Decemberists? Very similar

Of cource. I have to say The Decemberists are my favorite band right now (since they have 2 albums and two EPs that are some of my favorite music of all time, and they're still making great music, while NMH will prolly never make another album). In an aeroplane will probably always be my favorite record of all time though.

I think the only similarity with the decemberists is in the way they sing, but that's about it in my opinion. The decemberists are more advanced instrumently, and they are more structured and go more towards pop. The decemberists also have the most greatest lyrics I've ever read, I love the stories.

Spiffae said:
here's my guess. valve cannot undercut Vivendi by selling HL2 in any form for less than vivendi is selling the standard retail package. they probably would like to sell for less, but that would be sneaky business practices, and is probably detailed in their 2001 agreement.

The way I look at it, I'm getting three top-tier professional games for 60.00, plus mods, plus hl:source, plus all of valve's old games. Just those three games alone (HL2 CS:S and DoD:S) are each worth $20 to me. They are even worth $30 each to me, so i'm probably going to buy gold.

It's a high price, but it's a good product.

yeah, I agree. Valve probably isnt allowed to tell it for less than vivendi or else vivendi will be REALLY pissed b/c so many people would buy it from steam instead of VU and then they would be making less profits. More of the same problem.

Back