HL2 Vehicles - Bikes?

glHalfLife

Reaction score
I know vehicles and aircraft will be modelled in HL2 but what about bikes?

Um? What do you mean... are you asking about bikes in HL2.. or the possibility of modding them?

Well both really. I know that we can model anything (i.e. Motor Bikes) but does HL2 actually simulate bike movements or just cars/buggies etc...?

You're talking about bike physics? As in the angling of the bike when turning and stuff like that?
If so, I don't think this was ever mentioned by Valve, so we don't know.

hmm.... If I am correct you miss understand how your actually add vehicles. You need to program new model vehicles and if u program a bike it will work... simple.... :D all u need to do is program it, you can program it to learn etc... if u wanted it uber default u could just make it like a car but with wheels. Its proberly most definatly possible from my knowledge.

unrealistic though because the player won't be knocked off when they ram into a wall at 100 kph. You'd need to do some extensive coding.

Which happens to be exactly what our mod has been planning to try ever since day 1. I wanna ride my dreambike ingame; even if it's the last thing I code ;)

xjr.jpg

Our mod's site is being redone, it'll be back online soon with a lot of content, etc etc. (it's not at all abouu bikes, so far this is the only bike we've done, although we're talking about snowscooters too for our snow maps).

About the physics; I'm first gonna take a good look how it's done in HL2; and I'll try to find a good balance between realism and fun. But the bike is something I'm gonna put a lot of effort in (well, that and the alien AI, which will REALLY be hard).

By the way, about the player getting knocked of the bike. I'm gonna experiment with ragdoll physics for that, could be fun (well, at least experimenting WILL be fun :) )

If you did a the third person GTA 3 effect you'd be fine. I just have a feeling getting knocked off something in First Person would look wierd.

being knocked off the bike should be pretty simple. Just trigger it to have you "exit" the bike and roll around rather than the usual mount/dismount sequence. A bike in general shouldn't be all that difficult to do.

no ofcourse not, but Kyo was referring to the fact that to the player who gets knocked off, the 1st person view will be weird. Could be, but I think it would be weird too irl. The really hard part about knocking people off bikes alive, is that they have to get up again. Turning players into a ragdoll and letting them get tossed around is one thing. Going back from a floored ragdoll to a standing player model, that's where I see difficulty. Except maybe if you could make the ragdoll end in a specific pose, which I doubt.

I imagine it would be something like in the video when the ant lion queen thing whacks gordon across the room. Couldn't you just make its something like that? Keep vertical but maybe make the arms and legs flail in mid air then have him slide for a bit when he lands with some sort of stumbling animation.

Lupus said:
I imagine it would be something like in the video when the ant lion queen thing whacks gordon across the room. Couldn't you just make its something like that? Keep vertical but maybe make the arms and legs flail in mid air then have him slide for a bit when he lands with some sort of stumbling animation.
Thats what I said, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible either. Makes perfect sense to do it that way infact.

iiuc, you guys are implying a driver gets knocked of a bike at high speed, flies in the air but stays vertical, lands on his feet and slides? In a multiplayer mod? Imo that would look ridiculous :) In HL2 its not hard, it's 1st person all the way and nobody sees how weird it looks that gordon is staying up and flies at the same time. When you'd look at the same scene as a spectator, it'd look silly.

Aye, but you have to balance gameplay and realism. Having him stay vertical and flailing around and stumbling is probably about the best balance because since its an FPS game, if he went spinning around, flipping all over the place, the person playing the flipee would probably have a seizure from looking at his monitor. If you have played alien versus predator as the alien and gone sprinting around up and down walls etc. very quickly, you would see how disorientating it can get. Not to mention if someone did actually do that, chances are they probably wouldn't be getting up anyway.

Nice bike.

Regardin bike physics i HIGHLY doubt it will be possible, to properly simulate bikes you have to get into coding a whole set of new forces and factors which keep a bike on 2 wheels, unless you canned the effect like GTA3 (yes, it is canned, although very well)

RMachucaA said:
Nice bike.

Regardin bike physics i HIGHLY doubt it will be possible, to properly simulate bikes you have to get into coding a whole set of new forces and factors which keep a bike on 2 wheels, unless you canned the effect like GTA3 (yes, it is canned, although very well)
Then its not impossible. It just takes a good coder. HL2 clearly already has it in part with the buggy, extending that to bike form shouldn't be too difficult a task for someone willing enough.

if u wanna ride a bike u would probably have to animate its turning for example u hold left button for a second and the bike leans 45 degrees!!! ( i guess that would make sence )

i have a very good friend who has a PhD in physics and has developed his own physics engine for research purposes, and believe me, it takes years to code the physics for proper motorbike simulation.

Good luck with the motorbike, i hope you guys can find someone to do it.

RMachucaA said:
i have a very good friend who has a PhD in physics and has developed his own physics engine for research purposes, and believe me, it takes years to code the physics for proper motorbike simulation.

Good luck with the motorbike, i hope you guys can find someone to do it.

It's a game, not a simulator. Other games have featured motorbikes (like the aforementioned GTA) quite successfully, without them taking years to code it.

yeah, it's not the idea to simulate a REALISTIC bike here. Just look at battlefield:vietnam, they got this sweet little vespa scooter with physics that are simply ridiculous (anyone who rode it will agree). But still, it's fun as hell to chase around the map in it :p. Gonna try to do a little better than the vespa though, it all depends on how physics are implemented in HL2 and how much/what control the SDK gives us over it.

Personally I've allways wanted to create a Hover Tank of some form for Half-Life 2 and drive around in that. Killing people underneath me with a burst of pressure.

Having a first hand account of plenty of motorcycle crashes, I can honestly say you dont see anything. If you made the screen turn black as soon as he hit thewall of floor, turn the screen black then fade it back to normal after a second or two.

(Yes I realize this thread is old, but if anyone wants to do this, it's just my two cents worth.)

Some trial and error but its gonna go thats for sure, you just need a couple of new anims. I like it!

:)

it wouldn't be too hard to code, u just make it a vehicle and when a player uses it, u cant fall over. Now, if u make really steep turns at really high speeds or u hit a wall you simply state in the code to eject player

suspension of disbelief.
i think the ant lion guard 'throw' effect would work fine. btw i want to see bicycles :D like in gta sa

Didn't Valve mention at some point that they wanted to include a motorbike, but they thought it would feel strange in a first-person shooter?

Yeah, it was a jetski. They cut it because play testers got sick using it, and it was to much like running really fast since the player didnt have a decent frame of reference (unlike the roll cage on the buggy, if it has one, I have a brain spasm right now :( )

Back