hl2 - way better than you all think

lol just joking, cool down...
actually i wouldn't even want to beta-test the game because i would kinda spoil the game for me wouldn't it?

Of course we will or VALVe would have wasted all that time created a perfect model :)

But if we don't.. :sniper:

Well if you know the story, when valve had the game near complete they were simply not happy with the work they had done. So they scrapped almost all of thier work and started again... the game took a further one and a half years to complete which is why it looks so different!!!

Valve will not make the same mistakes again.

but still.. the game will look much better then the 6 month old e3 demo and the screenshots.

About reflections..

In the video with Alyx and the scientist...when Gordon knocks over the screen and all the geeks in the background burst out in laughter (goddamn it's annoying).. well before that you can see a small reflection of the room in the screen.

Which is btw, impressive, but does it show Gordon? No.

If it will be like that with every reflecting materials I'll be kinda disappointed. But still...just a minor flaw.

Maybe Valve will implement the mirror image till September?! :D

I doubt it. Unlike many games, Gordon isn't a person to be 'seen', he's one to be 'experienced'. Seeing Gordon's reflection would ruin the illusion of you actually being there. "Hey, I'm not the bearded freak!". If you haven't noticed, much of HL2 is about giving you the feel of being in the game. Most people wouldn't concentrate enough on the reflection of a computer monitor for this illusion to be ruined. However, seeing this weird bearded guy in a hazard suit swinging a crowbar does. Just my two cents, though.

-Vert

^^^Maybe for half life 3 you will be required to scan in a picture of yourself and a voice sample, thus truly imersing yourself in the game.

Originally posted by Dax
About reflections..

In the video with Alyx and the scientist...when Gordon knocks over the screen and all the geeks in the background burst out in laughter (goddamn it's annoying).. well before that you can see a small reflection of the room in the screen.

Which is btw, impressive, but does it show Gordon? No

They were lauging at the scientist, as that scene was displaying how the AI will respond to something you do, which you didnt really need to do. If he hadnt pushed it over he wouldnt have said anything. I think they laughed too as it was a line that guy said in HL1, like "oh very well".

Originally posted by Dax
About reflections..

Which is btw, impressive, but does it show Gordon? No.

If it will be like that with every reflecting materials I'll be kinda disappointed. But still...just a minor flaw.

Maybe Valve will implement the mirror image till September?! :D

dax u know just because ur in a video gaming industry dosnt mean ur a 'geek'. and anyways i bet those 'geeks' make more money in 5 years then you will make in a life time.

Originally posted by simmo2k3
What was valve thinking!?!?! about giving him that hairstyle...to make us laugh ? :D hehe

dont diss elvis.

Oh and btw. When those screens up there are of hl1 ALPHA. What we saw was after 4 years of developement and 4 months from release. Far past aphas and betas. Altho i heard somewhere that the build used for the E3 demo dates all the way back to summer of 2002. But im not sure about that shit.

Originally posted by [Hunter]Ridic
dax u know just because ur in a video gaming industry dosnt mean ur a 'geek'. and anyways i bet those 'geeks' make more money in 5 years then you will make in a life time.

Geez Ridic, you're just an angry guy looking to argue about everything aren't you? All he did was make a harmless comment about how all the spectators laughed when they saw part of the video.

Did anyone ever see those HL1 videos that were on the Diablo: Hellfire expansion CD? Those were what got me interested in the first place.

Anyhoo, I think it makes more sense to be able to see Gordon in mirrors etc. You ARE playing the role of gordon freeman. However, it would kinda suck if you looked into a mirror and just saw a boring face staring back at you...maybe he could have some kind of "mirror idle" animation where he starts flexing his muscles and such :p

Also, someone said that mirrors weren't necessary. Obviously they aren't...neither are any of these crazy effects that they are putting into HL2...but they just make it look so much sexier!

I doubt mirrors would be hard to add, considering they have that video camera they showed in the E3 demos. They'd just need to make a decent Gordon model.

they have a very decent model of gordon it's on a magazine cover, but people mistake it for a cg image

i doubt the reflection on that monitor was an actual reflection. i think it was a cubemap.

and the scientist said "oh do be careful" :p

---
edit: btw, how much money someone makes is not any indicator of someone's success in life, their contribution to society, or their worth as a human being :|

Originally posted by Sparky the Fox
i doubt the reflection on that monitor was an actual reflection. i think it was a cubemap.

and the scientist said "oh do be careful" :p

---
edit: btw, how much money someone makes is not any indicator of someone's success in life, their contribution to society, or their worth as a human being :|
no it wasn't a cube map, this isn't unreal tournament kid.

lol...U think Unreal tournament sucks !?, urm...yeah is does

Originally posted by EVIL
but still.. the game will look much better then the 6 month old e3 demo and the screenshots.

well you never know, i mean the game has been under developement for 5 years almost. And what has been done in 5 years im sure wont change that much in a few months.

and so will unreal 2k4
its just more of the same old shite....
honestly better gfx doesnt always equate to making :THE SAME GAME: better....
anywhoo cant wait for HL2
Doom3 Im less excited, if excited at all... it just doesnt look impressive anymore, they shoulda released it long ago (in recent e3 videos it looks identical to the leaked alpha shots I saw) anywhoo not that, that has any relevance its just sad.
and now that they lost TRENT REZNOR.... I dont give a shite either way if it ever gets released.

Originally posted by Mr. Redundant
and so will unreal 2k4
its just more of the same old shite....
honestly better gfx doesnt always equate to making :THE SAME GAME: better....
anywhoo cant wait for HL2
Doom3 Im less excited, if excited at all... it just doesnt look impressive anymore, they shoulda released it long ago (in recent e3 videos it looks identical to the leaked alpha shots I saw) anywhoo not that, that has any relevance its just sad.
and now that they lost TRENT REZNOR.... I dont give a shite either way if it ever gets released.

Doom 3 will be just like unreal2 probably. Good graphics, ass for gameplay and story.

I think DOOM³ will be a great and scary game. I like its concept and I still play doom classic. however. I think that the feeling is gone. its not the same anymore. I dont fee the same with doom3 as I do with doom classic. Its not style but more the feeling I get when I see everything and play the alpha.

Originally posted by ub3rbr0k3
D3's not multiplayer, no reason for me to buy it.

but that still doesnt leave no reason for you not to DOWNLOAD it.

Originally posted by THUGENSTEIN
but that still doesnt leave no reason for you not to DOWNLOAD it.

Hahaha, a triple negative. Evil. :devil:

Yeah, I'm still going to buy it from Mr. Juarez... It's still a work of art (like Splinter Cell)

Hahaha, a triple negative. Evil. :devil:

Yeah, I'm still going to buy it from Mr. Juarez... It's still a work of art (like Splinter Cell)

didnt you just say that you WERENT gonna buy it? Dont let that schitzophrenia get to you sonny.:bounce:

didnt you just say that you WERENT gonna buy it? Dont let that schitzophrenia get to you sonny.:bounce:

Buying it from "Mr. Juarez" means downloading it via "warez"... Sorry the saying was a little foreign to this forum.

Buying it from "Mr. Juarez" means downloading it via "warez"... Sorry the saying was a little foreign to this forum.

ooohhh. i dont know about that warez crazy talk.. btw, you like my thuggin' avatar? drew it myself.

ooohhh. i dont know about that warez crazy talk.. btw, you like my thuggin' avatar? drew it myself.

Nice avatar. I suck @ drawing stuff, so I have resort to stealing other people's art :p

Nice avatar. I suck @ drawing stuff, so I have resort to stealing other people's art :p

thats ok. That marshmellowy poke-dude is coo

Why dont you take that lil cute jumping bunny thingy? as an avatar? :imu: I had it as an avatar once.. but it was way to EVIL for me :)

Why dont you take that lil cute jumping bunny thingy? as an avatar? :imu: I had it as an avatar once.. but it was way to EVIL for me :)

im assuming that was a joke....

ha..ha...ha...ha... :afro:

I don't see why anyone would buy doom3. Just play the demo when that comes if ya want to see the graphics...maybe they will release the demo but limit the graphics somehow (like less detailed textures) so dumbasses will still buy it...

Doom3 ownz.. its going to be a great game with a great story (for id standards :)) I will enjoy doom3 singleplayer and multiplayer whise (raw DM hiding in shadow action) and yes.. you can have more then 4 players. 4 is just the default. you can have more like 16)

Doom3 ownz.. its going to be a great game with a great story (for id standards :)) I will enjoy doom3 singleplayer and multiplayer whise (raw DM hiding in shadow action) and yes.. you can have more then 4 players. 4 is just the default. you can have more like 16)
doom 3 has no multiplayer

up to 16 players......you would need a fat friggin pipe for that

Doom3 has multiplayer. there was a interview on gamespot with tim willits (one of the id software team members) on how great the doom3 multiplayer is etc. the interview was like 2 weeks before the e3

Back