HL2 Weapons

footsteps

Reaction score
I'm so glad the .357 has returned! That was my favorite weapon in HL1; one headshot in medium difficulty = dead grunt. And I pissed many a player off with that thing in hldm back in the pre-CS days.

And the sniper lovers now have two choices! I remember when HL1 was released many people criticized the xbow and cried out for a classic sniper rifle, whereas others preferred it because it was more original. I'm not too crazy about scoped weapons, but it will be fun pinning things to the wall a la PK!

The best thing is that there seems to be a weapon for everyone's tastes (unlike doom3 which has the most boring weapons in any fps I have ever played).

Don't forget the manipulator! (had to mention it) :D

The reviews are making out the Manipulator like it's the new Rocket Launcher of FPS weapons.

KagePrototype said:
The reviews are making out the Manipulator like it's the new Rocket Launcher of FPS weapons.

Yes they are :)

i wonder if any other fps's in 2005 will have a manipulator style weapon. remember that hl2 is NOT the first fps with this style of weapon.

footsteps said:
(unlike doom3 which has the most boring weapons in any fps I have ever played).

I couldn't agree with you more! :cheers:

Dr0ndeh said:
i wonder if any other fps's in 2005 will have a manipulator style weapon. remember that hl2 is NOT the first fps with this style of weapon.

Which other game? And what about the "Giant Pachinko Machine" Shown in the e32003 demo when demonstrating physics? Is that gonna be in the final game? I hope so. Slapping around aliens with dead combine units could be fun!

that weapon isnt called the "Giant Pachinko Machine", the "Giant Pachinko Machine" was the barrel psychics simulation. The blue beam thingy might come as an upgrade to the manipulator.

EVIL said:
that weapon isnt called the "Giant Pachinko Machine", the "Giant Pachinko Machine" was the barrel psychics simulation. The blue beam thingy might come as an upgrade to the manipulator.
I'm sorry sir, but your panasonic wireless bluetooth beamupgrade wont work with you sony ericsson manipulator.

hm, doom3 weapon's are quite solid, what did you expected from a sequel? okay, i missed an oldschool pump-action, but the biggest problem for me have been the sound-effects from pistol to machine-gun(really boring, should fire their sound-engineer). with the gatling the sounds become quite impressive.

my 2c.

the sounds that trent did where superb.. Damn id for letting this guy slip

Dr0ndeh said:

What other game has it? Just wondering.

Raziel-Jcd said:
What other game has it? Just wondering.

not really specificly a 'weapon' to pick up items, but there are several fps now where you can pick up items and throw them, either with your hands or with your mind. thief3 and psi ops immediately spring to mind.

Dr0ndeh said:
not really specificly a 'weapon' to pick up items, but there are several fps now where you can pick up items and throw them, either with your hands or with your mind. thief3 and psi ops immediately spring to mind.

Its not really the same then, there are plenty of games where you can pick stuff up and move it but you cant launch it across a room into some ones face and they die in a very nice fashion. I believe you can also pick up in HL2 as well so its got the best of both worlds not that picking up really means an awful lot.

The thing i hated about doom3 was that i never seemed to have ammo for anything else but the shotgun, maybe that is what the hard difficulty did to you. I never played it on anything else because there wasnt much point.

Some things I like about HL weapons:

The rocket launcher really is a rocket launcher!
There's no straight sniper rifle.
Crowbar.
The MP5/MP7 comes with a mounted grenade launcher.
The shotgun secondary fire is incredibly satisfying.

I think that was just specualation. I read recently that the crowbar is the only scoped weapon.

subtlesnake said:
I think that was just specualation. I read recently that the crowbar is the only scoped weapon.

:LOL: Yeah, that crowbar will come in really handy in the middle of a sniper fight. :D

Seriously though, it's pretty well known that hl2.net peoples get quite a bit of info that we don't (e.g. Combine Elite), so I don't see it as speculation. But meh, it could be either way really.

ViolenceJack said:
Its not really the same then, there are plenty of games where you can pick stuff up and move it but you cant launch it across a room into some ones face and they die in a very nice fashion.

actually, you can do that in psi ops. and you can pick THEM up and fling them across the room. its very fun.

Dr0ndeh said:

Thought you meant there was another game that had a GUN that pull objects and through them.

Raziel-Jcd said:
Thought you meant there was another game that had a GUN that pull objects and through them.

does it really matter that it isnt a gun? it does the exact same thing.

When I saw the barrel being picked up in the video, I thought was some kind of manipulator bug, the barrel is held about 1 metre in front of you!

Dr0ndeh said:
does it really matter that it isnt a gun? it does the exact same thing.

Sure it does it matters a great deal.

Having powers to throw stuff
Being able to pick things up with hands
Having a gun that drags things to you then throws them

3 very different things.

About D3 having boring weapons, I always thought the chainsaw added a pretty nice touch to the game.

I liked doom3 and its weapons etc. Its a REMAKE of doom that was there main goal.

About weapons i think Unreal 2 and Painkiller had the best weapons of all time.

Raziel-Jcd said:
Sure it does it matters a great deal.

Having powers to throw stuff
Being able to pick things up with hands
Having a gun that drags things to you then throws them

3 very different things.

they dont seem like 'very different things' to me.

Dr0ndeh said:
they dont seem like 'very different things' to me.
I concur. Mostly, the end results are the same. The difference betwwen hands/mind/gun is appearnce. However the manipulator does have a certain functionality that those others do not (such as increasing/decreasing the beam lenght without letting go), and the implimentation in HL2 is bound to be superior.

f|uke said:
I concur. Mostly, the end results are the same. The difference betwwen hands/mind/gun is appearnce. However the manipulator does have a certain functionality that those others do not (such as increasing/decreasing the beam lenght without letting go), and the implimentation in HL2 is bound to be superior.
I agree, HL2s' technique is way superior, looks cooler, and is much more satisfying/effective.

Also they've mentioned a few times that the manipulator can be used to "weld" objects together to create structures.

Can't do that with any of the others.

There is a sniper rifle in the game...or at least there was when I played it...

Lanthanide said:
Also they've mentioned a few times that the manipulator can be used to "weld" objects together to create structures.

Can't do that with any of the others.
That's the physgun which may or may not be included in the final game.

whoa ... bliink's around ... thats good to know ... i think the crossbow is a sweet weapon ... especially since the bolts are "physically simulated" ... pretty sweet

The manipulator has already been kinda ripped off for Timesplitters 3.
Only it's a magic power glove or something. :p

Regarding the sniper rifle, the PC Gamer US review says that the crossbow is the only sniping weapon ; 3rd line down on page 60 or page 6 of the review "a crossbow (your sole sniping weapon)".

when i read this i was a tad dissapointed. I dont have anything against the crossbow but i was looking forward to using both.

Fuzzy-_-Muff said:
Regarding the sniper rifle, the PC Gamer US review says that the crossbow is the only sniping weapon ; 3rd line down on page 60 or page 6 of the review "a crossbow (your sole sniping weapon)".

when i read this i was a tad dissapointed. I dont have anything against the crossbow but i was looking forward to using both.

as has been said before, it can always be modded in, though i'm with you, i'd like a conventional sniper rifle

so is it true that the bolts of the crossbow are physically simulated???

Back