HL2 Weapons

Platinum said:
so is it true that the bolts of the crossbow are physically simulated???
Meaning what? They arc slightly down?

I personally wouldn't want that.. It wouldn't be HL.

Valve themselves said the so called "physgun" AKA bluebeam AKA welder is NOT going to be in the final game.

I can't say much more without a spoiler.

To whoever posted, the manipulator is supposed to hold the object about a meter in front of you.

As in that the crossbow bolt is an actual physics object....

if it was an actual object that would be cool ... :)

it would too be half life ... its a high powered crossbow then gravity shouldnt affect it too much

I wonder if you can catch incoming rockets with the grav gun and turn them around so that they kill whoever fired them.

I really don't like the crossbow, yeah sure it's silent and all but I mean it shoots arrows for christ's sake. I'd expect more range with a 9mm than an arrow.

GuNzABlaZiN said:
I wonder if you can catch incoming rockets with the grav gun and turn them around so that they kill whoever fired them.

I really don't like the crossbow, yeah sure it's silent and all but I mean it shoots arrows for christ's sake. I'd expect more range with a 9mm than an arrow.
Not an arrow, a BOLT.

And these modern crossbows are pretty deadly. Not to mention this is 15 years in the future. (Approx.)

Now that rocket idea is COOL.

well is it known for sure that the bolts are physically simulated?

HL2 is like going to rock my socks with its awsome arsenal of a** kicking weapons!!!!!

Bolt, arrow, blah. It's still a short range subsonic projectile, you're not gonna drop anyone at 400m with it. As for the bolt-action sniper rifle in Op4, now that was awesome.

Platinum said:
well is it known for sure that the bolts are physically simulated?
I highly doubt it.

There would be no need. It would just be harder to program the hit damage and stuff.

Physically simulated as in does it pin people on to walls...

The Thing said:
Physically simulated as in does it pin people on to walls...
1. I dont think you need physical bolts to do that. I am 99 percent sure..
2. I think it would be just a tad unrealistic for that to happen.. Maybe if it was something thinner.. like a headcrab..

lol any more questions!?

They do pin people. Either one of the VALVe guys said it, or someone who played the game at VALVe said so, but I distinctly remember someone with frist hand evidence saying that they pin things.

And have you seen some of the modern crossbow quarrels? I've seen ones more than a foot long... and a good crossbow will send a bolt straight through your average garden fence...

I vaguely remember a thread where some guy swore blind he'd played/heard about HL:S's crossbow pinning characters to objects... but I'm not exactly going to put my reputation on the line based off a poor memory and a dodgy forumite.

I'd still like to see exactly how much damage the weapons inflict; I'd presume that unarmoured infantry fall pretty quickly to an SMG, but I hope that the .357 is rendered a far more potent (and therefore essential) firearm when it comes to tougher enemies.

Yes I also heard about the pinning thing which is why I mentioned it in the original post. It's supposed to work much like PK's stakegun, at least as far as the pinning goes. If the bolt actually follows a ballistic trajectory, that remains to be seen.

Oh, and I was a bit disappointed to learn that there is in fact no sniper rifle in the game. Although with the plethora of scoped weapons in the game, that is probably not a big deal.

the 'pinning thing' is in the valve email's thread. dont want to dig it out, but it is 100% in there.

Yeah, I felt slight let down about the loss of the sniper rifle; it would've just been nice to choose between various weapons, so for me a "too similar" argument wouldn't hold true.

But hey, maybe mod teams will add it in again in their quest for originality :D

...wait, wouldn't be original if they all did it, would it? Gah...

KagePrototype said:
The reviews are making out the Manipulator like it's the new Rocket Launcher of FPS weapons.

haha you're damn right, sif use rocket launchers, what efford. just launch cupboards and debris at stalkers :p

The Crossbow rocks, its a gentlemans weapon. Silent but deadly ;)

Still want to see how the crowbar is physically simulated. Does that mean projectiles bounce off it? That, if anyone ever made HL2 MP, you could thwack each others crowbars and effectively block attacks? I gather you can thwack grenades away, but I wonder if you could hit crossbow bolts out of the air, if they are also simulated... :naughty:

why would it be too difficult to calculate physics for a bolt? afterall the things that you throw with the manipulator have physics (they are affected by distance, speed, mass=energy and teh effect of gravity) so why is a bolt diffrent?

I wonder if the crossbow bolts can go through wood...that and the manipulator would make it possible to create a little hut...

I'm going to make a fort! :bounce:

Back