HL2DM Custom Map: DM_Datacore

Hmm already? shit i dunno...dose it work for you Metal?

The archive needs to rename the "hl2" folder to "hl2dm"

where are the freaking toilets?!?!!

j/k

but seriously it could use some more toilets ;)

Meh... it's just a stright port of the HL1 version.
They didnt even bother to add stuff to use the grav-gun on...

Uploading the fixed version now

I want someone to put it on a server to see if it plays well.

I'm not all that psyched about these sorts of ports. The gameplay in HL2 is different enough that the maps probably just aren't going to be balanced correctly (for instance, not large enough for physics objects and gameplay). And without physics, the weapon selection in HL2 is so boring compared to HL1 that I don't think it'd be all that fun.

I do think teamplay on crossfire would be pretty darn fun though. But we do need:

-retexturing (wouldn't be very hard at all)
-some extra geometry complexity (harder, but keep it simple and still not so hard)
-adding physics props that make sense for the map (like broken jet plane or helicopter pieces in the runway in crossfire)

at a bare minimum for a map to be worth downloading and playing.

Uhoh, I hope we don't end up in the same situation as with UT2004 where people would just import old UT99 maps and convert the geometry without taking advantage of the new engine and movement and everything...

:S

Exactly.

Why would I want to play an old ugly map.

You might like to play it because it's available now?

I'm sure the community will make many excellent custom maps. Just give the mappers some time though, please? Sheesh, there's no pleasing some people! ;(

Duh!!, this is a port ?

com on thread starter do something cool please, nice map (I agree) but with HL2 texture. SDK is out.

MetalliMyers said:
Check it out, just like the original
hehe no sh*t. I would've been better if you actually took the time to recreate the map instead of porting it over, but cool notheless I guess.

maybe you should redo the textures and add more fun stuff to throw.
otherwise, looks good

Back