HL2DM map by 3D-Mike

looks great, maybe if you could combine your skills with someone who knows more complex things like, interiors and scripting it could be great.

Ive replaced screenshot 1 and 5 with more finished versions and added inside screenshots and some overviews. The overviews screenshots show the map from angles you cannot get to ingame and are just there to illustrate the floating island theme better.

The map is done now and even though the theme is not exactly HL2 I decided to sent it to Valve contest anyway. The gameplay is (in my opinion) just too interesting. Due to its multi leveled layout amost all firefights turn out both on a horizontal and on a vertical plane. Mouse speed 4 or higher is recommended! (see pic)

dm_avalon_overview.jpg

The map turned out much bigger then I thought itd be and it should be able to support up to 20 players. I realize there are complaints about HL2DM being a bit of a 'physics demo' cause the official maps contain (too) many props so I tried to change that a bit. Inside youll find enough props to toss about but less healthkits and batterys. Ive changed some of the larger props properties so a table cannot be used as a battering ram anymore. You can blast it away but you cannot carry it. Rest assured theres plenty heavy damage props left to toss about ;) Outside is where you can boost your stamina more easily. Outside youll find less props so a more old school DM style should be more appropriate. Off course one can change this by taking more props outside ;)

The map should be incredibly fast cause you can easily get to the lower parts by jumping down (jumping down up to 4 levels will only give you 10 damage). But you can also easily get back up by jumping over the edge of the map. This will not kill you but teleport you inmediately to the light at the top of the map (Same goes for any prop thats tossed into the void) In time theyll all fall back to the map from the sky (see pic)

dm_avalon_teleport.jpg

The pics: (Images are NOT filtered, sharpened or otherwise manipulated apart from being scaled down to 800x600)
dm_avalon_001.jpg

dm_avalon_005.jpg

And could someone fix it so you can edit the first post please? Or is that impossible on such a forum structure, I dont mean to be annoying or anything 8)

3D_Mike said:
dm_avalon_006.jpg

Ill release the map as soon as Valve allows it.

Oh my ...
My heart stopped for a second when seeing this screen, its just so beautiful, well done!
And what do you mean about as soon as Valve allows it? For the competition? I am pretty sure you can enter released maps.

You can release the map and enter it Mike. The rules state that maps released PRIOR to December 2004 can't be released.

Chris_D said:
You can release the map and enter it Mike. The rules state that maps released PRIOR to December 2004 can't be released.
Yeh I got that changed :D
Anyway if you're still moving your site or whatever, I can help with hosting it.

Is that so? Oooooow if thats true Ill see if i can release a beta asap! :D

~I still have to get my map to Valve before friday, lets worry about that first, its 45 Euros to Fedex it there :S Cant you change submission rules too switch? ;)

Holy crap, that is one hell of a map. I took a glance at your first few screenshots and just tossed it off as a small area of land with a house in the middle. But jesus, Mike, that electricity room and the outside screenie showing the curving up-wards terrain is absolutely kick ass. Plus I love the new gameplay features, brilliant.

Its looking bloody nice dude... Cant wait to have a bit of a demo of it, shall be many deaths apon this floating isle for sure!!

When are you gonna release a beta??

catch.

3D_Mike said:
Is that so? Oooooow if thats true Ill see if i can release a beta asap! :D

GO GO GO!!! (/me will add mirror) :upstare:

Better hurry - only 5 days left.

I could always use another map in the rotation. :)

Awesome looking map. Cant wait to play test it. :sniper:

i was goin to complain bout the lack of interior pics but...you fixed that...

So anyway...I like it a lot.

Nope :)

I wanted to make a rooftop map of a village cut out in the rock. But I couldnt find any suiting textures and I just couldnt create a nice crouded village when every house needed to be accesible without making the map way too big. So after rebuilding it for the 3rd time I decided a fantasy castle or church would perhaps be better :)

Looks lovely mike.

Have just sent you a mail. It's the one without a subject - My bad sorry :)

Wow! That map is amazing, good luck in the contest, I can't wait to play it...

Wowow, awesome looking, can't wait for release. :naughty:

edit: wait, it is out! /me downloads

Played it, loved it :D
The crossbow seems to only spawn once though

Open a new thread...I guess I'm not the only one who stops reading post with more than 3 pages of reply, and the map release might easily be missed by a lot of people. I'm sure the mods will be ok with it (*hint* :))

I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!! man that map is gonna be awesome with plenty of run-ins and rpg sniping and ragdoll a-falling and ragdolls blowing up and blood and ITS GONNA RULE!!!!!

Glad yall like it peeps. There do seem to be a couple of silly bugs like the crossbow not respawning, some prop penetration errors and some transparent faces in the map. Ill fix all and wrap it up in a final once the new weapons are released.

Ill make a new post to announce the maps been released like suggested if thats ok with the moderators here?

I have played the map for a good hour and a half so far of combined time.You have yourself a GREAT map :). I really enjoyed playing it, although it did crash on me with some kind of a memory problem. I like the fact that I have to look for the rpg and the weapon locations are in great locations. The performance was good and the graphics looked nice.

Very good looking map, I recieved a high 5:1 ratio witch means it has good use of tactics and strategy.
Great Job, thanks

Back