Votes: 79 23.2%
  • A Half-Life 2 themed multiplayer AND Counter-Strike Source

Votes: 262 76.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thadius Dean

Reaction score
i'm going to try to get a near exact view on the community's beliefs of hl2s multiplayer. this is not which one you want, but which one do you think it will come with. thanks!?&

I hope an HL 2 themed mp too, but I doubt it. So I voted CS Source only.

A Half-Life 2 themed multiplayer AND Counter-Strike Source

I think Cs: s will only be for the CE. (you'll be able to buy it seperatly)

it's already been stated

CounterStrike: Source is the official and only multiplayer mode shipping with Half Life 2.

CS:S comes with all versions of half life 2. Not just the CE..
bottom line: CS:S = HL2 Multiplayer :thumbs:

if it is only CS:S id be VERY curious as to what valves reply would be when asked: what about all those weapons in HL2 that people want to frag each other with? or what about all those cool locations that would be good for MP?

all ive gotta say is that if there is no hl2mp, they better release the SP map source files along with the sdk for us to mod from.

Nah, I think that we will see a HL2 themed death match mode. It wouldn't be too hard I'd imagine. Heck, I'm sure that some of the singleplayer maps would be suited perfectly for some multiplayer mayhem.

I think we can expect an additional type of multiplayer. But we won't really know until it ships/ when Valve tells us. Personally, I think the former is most likely to happen.

there just might be an official HL2-themed multiplayer later on (Combine vs. Resistance) but i dont think it'll be @ launch.

|LGW|Mith said:
it's already been stated

CounterStrike: Source is the official and only multiplayer mode shipping with Half Life 2.

That's pure BS.

im sure that if there isnt a half-life themed multiplayer it could be made easily, its just that there would probably be a lot of attempts at it, so which one would become standard? also its just such a nice feeling knowing that your playing the game and those awsome maps from the great guys at valve ;)

oh and 300th POST! :cheers: :thumbs:

no one knows wot or even if there is multi player yet. so dont believe any 1 till the game comes out

The main menu of HL2 has a "Multiplayer" option on it, if it was just CS:S then I don't think they would have given it a general "Multiplayer" title. This is known from Planet Half Life when their guy went over and play tested HL2.

Besides Valve said that they were planning on porting Half-Life deathmatch over to Source as well, so I would assume that will be the actual multiplayer.

Headwires said:
no one knows wot or even if there is multi player yet. so dont believe any 1 till the game comes out

You really should brush up on your HL2 news. CS:S has been confirmed to ship with HL2. As for another multiplayer component, no one knows for sure just yet. I think there might be another addition, but I know jack squat, and so does pretty much everyone else in the forum.

there is no comfirmation that css will be hl2's only mp, that is such bs, where did u get that from? ur bs friend?

ktimekiller said:
there is no comfirmation that css will be hl2's only mp, that is such bs, where did u get that from? ur bs friend?

he probably got it from the csnation interview with cliffe:

csnation said:
CS-Nation: Is CS: Source the only multiplayer game shipping with Half-Life 2?

cliffe: Half-Life 2 will come with CS: Source. Right now, we do not plan to include any other multiplayer games with Half-Life 2.

ktimekiller said:

Some guy named Doug Lombardi. Yea, he's some BS n00b. But I think he may work for Valve...

Have you finalised how CS Source will be distributed?

Lombardi: It will be included with all versions of Half-Life 2, and made available as a stand alone purchase.

I'm hoping with all my might that HL2's multiplayer actually ends up being something revolutionary, but I'm reserving myself until HL2 is actually released. I don't want to get all excited about driving Striders and using the crane to crush people, and then have the MP turn out to be CSS.

Bait said:
Some guy named Doug Lombardi. Yea, he's some BS n00b. But I think he may work for Valve...
err... The quote you gave confirmed that CS:S will be included in all versions of HL2, not that it will be the only multiplayer.

bunch of different places when the first news wave of CS source information spread earlier this summer.

Gamespot said:
CS: Source is a remake of the classic Half-Life mod and will essentially be the multiplayer portion of Half-Life 2, since the two games will ship together.
VE3D said:
Counter-Strike: Source is the official (and only) multiplayer mode in Half-Life 2.

Still, there was no word from valve on it. But all the different places got the info from somewhere. The news sites may have gotten the wrong impression. CS:S may be the only source port that has multiplayer

This'd be accurate since

4. Computer Games Romania: Does Half-Life: Source include multiplayer as the original Half-Life did?
Doug Lombardi: Not at launch.

stigmata said:
I'm hoping with all my might that HL2's multiplayer actually ends up being something revolutionary, but I'm reserving myself until HL2 is actually released. I don't want to get all excited about driving Striders and using the crane to crush people, and then have the MP turn out to be CSS.

I wouldn't expect HL2 multiplayer to be revolutionary. But don't worry, I'm sure there are going to be some high quality mods that will really blow us away. Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing some other third party mods getting ported over to source.

cliffe: Half-Life 2 will come with CS: Source. Right now, we do not plan to include any other multiplayer games with Half-Life 2.

Cliffe meant that other than HL2 and CS:S, they're not shipping any other multiplayer games (TFC, DoD) with HL2. He never said there's no HL2 MP.

Plus...
In the HL2 leak, there's a "Multiplayer" option in the title screen, along with New Game, Load Game, Options, etc."

FoB_Ed said:
Plus...
In the HL2 leak, there's a "Multiplayer" option in the title screen, along with New Game, Load Game, Options, etc."
You don't have to put it in spoilers, HalfLife_84 from PlanetHalfLife playtested the game and reported seeing the Multiplayer option as well about a month ago.

I've read some places there will be more then Just CSs and I've read that CSs will be the only one I guess all we can do is just wait and see.

The very idea of not taking advantage of all of the nifty features in Half-Life 2 SP, and then porting them into an MP mode, just seems ludicrous to me. I expect Valve to have more sense than that.

lol, now ive seen the question that cliffe answered its totally clear. Loads of people have taken it out of context. It says multiplayer games, not modes, games. that means no other games eg DoD, HL, etc.

There is plenty of evidence out there that shows there is a HL2 multiplayer. There was one interview ages ago, before E3 2003 i think with gabe saying somin like he was having fun with the multiplayer of the game. Now considering they didnt start the CS port till january this year can some one tell me what he was playing.

Valve have been very quite about the HL2 multiplayer, maybe they are glad that people have misread stuff and started thinking there is only CS:S with it cos they will get a suprise with an actual decent multiplayer with the game. I mean why would valve keep quite about multiplayer if it was just DM ofcourse there could be special bits in the DM. This was all way before CS was ported and if the mystery thing was CS:S then they kind of spoilt the suprise, well more like disapointment.

I think they may have somin special all though im not betting on it. I mean it would be nice for them to have some suprises with the game. Also its looks poor effort on valves part just slapping on a rehashed game. Remember they just basicly redone models and maps so there wasnt a massive ammount of effort put in, personnally i would like to see soming made for multiplayer not ported.

Has anyone Emailed Valve/Gabe and asked this?

If no, I probably will.

UKchaos2 said:

If no, I probably will.

I'm sure hundreds have done so in the past, I doubt you'll get a straight answer out of him. :)

UKchaos2 said:

If no, I probably will.
I have 18 times. Never got a response.

And if you ask anyone who's visited Valve if there is a HL2mp, they'll dodge the question. Most recently was a HL2-world.com member, when asked if there was such a mp he didn't answer. Ask schmozy or merc and they'll tell you nothing.

I cant beileve people think hl2 will not have its own multiplayer, so so stupid.

The title of this thread is so horribly ironic.

poseyjmac said:
if it is only CS:S id be VERY curious as to what valves reply would be when asked: what about all those weapons in HL2 that people want to frag each other with? or what about all those cool locations that would be good for MP?

all ive gotta say is that if there is no hl2mp, they better release the SP map source files along with the sdk for us to mod from.

Amazing, you think exactly like me

I hope there is a standard DM that comes with every FPS. But as good a single player game as they can make, I wouldn't put it past them to be such tunnel visioned idiots in them thinking everybody just loves cs:s and cs:s alone. thankfully dod is also coming in source. how can they make such a sweet gaming world but not include it in a form for us to fight each other not just the AI single player enemies, when all the nifty features and environmental possibilities with the grave gun? Can't they picture the mode where there is one manipulator in the level and we all chase down the one guy who has it? but the guy who has it has lots of things he can use with it to have the advantage? that would be sweet. or manipulator jousting, where you pick up a pole with it and run at each other.

i think their definatley will be a half-life multiplayer
Counter Strike has NOTHING TO DO with the half life universe, and halflife has a completely different style and feel to it, and not including a half-life universe based multiplayer would be silly

believe it or not, there are people who dont find CS appealing but love halflife, and only having CS:S would be screwing those people over multiplayer wise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back