• JUST Counter-Strike Source

Votes: 79 23.2%
  • A Half-Life 2 themed multiplayer AND Counter-Strike Source

Votes: 262 76.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
|LGW|Mith said:
bunch of different places when the first news wave of CS source information spread earlier this summer.

Still, there was no word from valve on it. But all the different places got the info from somewhere. The news sites may have gotten the wrong impression. CS:S may be the only source port that has multiplayer

This'd be accurate since

u are quoting gaming sites as ur sources.. not strong enough IMHO.
i mean gaming sites know as much as we do about HL2's MP.
until Valve in clear terms states what the MP is.. its anyones guess what the MP will actually end up being.

i will however say that for pple who are expecting something new and unique and earth shattering at the same time... well don't.
right now i think generally pple would be happy with the SP and a simple DM/TDM mode for MP.. besides.. its well known the mods will carry HL2's MP in the long run anyhow.

I've emailed Valve on several occassions.

The fact remains that it makes absolutely no sense for them to keep HL2 multiplayer secret. The only logical reason I can think of is that there is no HL2 MP, and Valve are too arrogant to tell their fans straight out. They have dropped so many hints it's just not funny.

In my opinion, CS:S is all we're getting.

HL2 themed MP and CS:S. Why??? Because all the talk points to that it is right...:thumbs:

The biggest thing that makes me think CS:S is the only HL2 multiplayer is a statement from Gabe, it's in the Valve info thread. I can't find it atm, but when he was asked if HL2 development time would suffer from CS:S he replied with something like 'No. The work on CS:S was work we had to do regardless for the SDK documentation.'
So he basically says that for the SDK, they still needed that template for a multiplayer game for modders to start from. In HL, modders started from the HL DM code, in HL2, it's probably CS:S, like Gabe makes it sound.

To the doubters, ponder this:

Why would Valve spend 6 years innovating almost every aspect of the singleplayer game, but for multiplayer settle for port of a game they didnt even invent in the first place.

But then, maybe they are saving the good stuff for TF2...

It seems as this poll shows what people wish, not what they think.
Wasn't it the official word that HL2 would only have CS:S as multiplayer component?

- Yellonet

UKchaos2 said:
To the doubters, ponder this:

Why whould Valve innovate in amost every area of singleplayer, but for multiplayer, simply settle for a mere port of a game they didnt even invent in the first place.

You could have asked that question with HL1. A revolutionary SP, MP however was plain deathmatch.
You can say what you want, but I can guarantee you that CS:S will attract more players online than any brilliant MP by Valve would ever do.

Is it a bad MP we're getting now? No certainly not. A lot better than what we got with HL1.

Did Valve waste potential with not making an original HL2 themed MP? Yeah.

Would it be smart to make one? Making an MP takes time, a lot of time, time that could be invested into HL2 SP. And when that brilliant HL2 MP is less played than CS:S, it was a waste of time from a financial point of view.

Let's hope the majority is right this time :)

Obviously the reason to believe there is no hl2 mp is because valve said it was a secret. :p

well valve said cs:s was the official multiplayer. There is a port of HL: DM for the source engine but no specefic HL2 multiplayer.
Anyway if u all think u could have gravity gun fights ur wrong. Multiplayer physics are very limited compared to the SP physics as shown in cs:s

i dont know why so many peopel think theres another mp oh well let them be dissapointed

The multiplayer will be some kind TF2 set in the years when the Combine invaded Earth and the national armies were still fighting against them.

It will be conventional army versus Combine forces. There will be some servers connected over Steam which will represent the countries of the world and there will be great battles over those maps of those cities - the ones who were then dubbed City (insert a number here). When one of the forces will be losing they will have to retreat on the previous map of the mapcycle and vice-versa. And thus there will be the never ending, epic battle between the few armies of the world as we know it and the Combine high-tech forces.

That's how I see it. Or, it could be done in a mod. :D

HL2 does have its own multiplayer mode but it was probably the most rudimentary feature of the leak.

Rest assured, it'll be in there with CSS.

Who can say no to running over countless Gordons with buggies?

P.S. AI - Your idea rocks.

My idea is from now on © :D Anyone wants to make a mod with me?

PvtRyan said:
The biggest thing that makes me think CS:S is the only HL2 multiplayer is a statement from Gabe, it's in the Valve info thread. I can't find it atm, but when he was asked if HL2 development time would suffer from CS:S he replied with something like 'No. The work on CS:S was work we had to do regardless for the SDK documentation.'
So he basically says that for the SDK, they still needed that template for a multiplayer game for modders to start from. In HL, modders started from the HL DM code, in HL2, it's probably CS:S, like Gabe makes it sound.

That, the fact that CS:S is being used to test HL2 & the source engine, the fact that physics are very limited in multiplayer, the fact valve has said nothing about HL2's multiplayer other than CS:S all is really adding up.

CS:S is probably HL2's only MP.

I've seen no solid information pointing to an HL2-themed multiplayer, so I'm voting for Only CS Source right now since that seems pretty realistic to me.

But I would love it if I was wrong.

|LGW|Mith said:
it's already been stated

CounterStrike: Source is the official and only multiplayer mode shipping with Half Life 2.

CS:S comes with all versions of half life 2. Not just the CE..
bottom line: CS:S = HL2 Multiplayer :thumbs:

How can people pass off this kind of bullshit so authoritatively?

I believe there's also a HL2 themed multiplayer, not just Counter Strike: Source

theres been a ton of hints & indication that HL2's only multiplayer is CS:S, to go as far as it's been stating CS:S is "CounterStrike: Source is the official and only multiplayer mode shipping with Half Life 2."

Theres been NO hints that there is a HL2-themed multiplayer, valve has said nothing, and already announced CS:S as a multiplayer element shipping with ALL versions of HL2 (both normal, and CE)

Maybe it's taking so long to release the game because Valve realized they had no HL2 themed multiplayer...so now they're making one

|LGW|Mith said:
Theres been NO hints that there is a HL2-themed multiplayer, valve has said nothing, and already announced CS:S as a multiplayer element shipping with ALL versions of HL2 (both normal, and CE)
There are little bits of hints that would say there is a HL2 themed multiplayer though, a general "Multiplayer" option on the main menu, the fact that CS:S will be released as a stand-alone product as well as being with all of the other versions of HL2, and the fact that HL1 was well known for its Death Match and the developers have stated that they will be porting it over to Source as well.

Computer Games Romania: Does Half-Life: Source include multiplayer as the original Half-Life did?
Doug Lombardi: Not at launch.

HL:Source multiplayer doesnt mean anything @ this point. The multiplayer option on the main menu also doesnt mean too much. It could mean anything.

The Mullinator said:
There are little bits of hints that would say there is a HL2 themed multiplayer though, a general "Multiplayer" option on the main menu, the fact that CS:S will be released as a stand-alone product .

Yeah, those two are the strongest hints of a Half-Life 2 themed multiplayer. Someone pay a visit to Valve, and when you're testing the game, quicky click the "Multiplayer" option before they tell you not to.

ME Is there multiplayer in HL2?

Gabe No but im sure a mod could do it.

THAT SUCKS cs;s better not be the official MP

that would be just as bad or unoriginal as doom3's mp. a 5 year old mod.......wtf valve.

We WILL have a co-op mod for HL2 (thank you Sven co-op team, good job:thumbs: ) which will be lots o' fun!!! I do not know much about the MP but I have heard a few things that points to an MP for HL2 from VALVe. 2o3, how can we know that you are not some lying drunkass that hijacked a computer on a public library? NO offense meant.:)

|LGW|Mith said:
theres been a ton of hints & indication that HL2's only multiplayer is CS:S, to go as far as it's been stating CS:S is "CounterStrike: Source is the official and only multiplayer mode shipping with Half Life 2."

I think the exact quote was

"CS-Nation: Is CS: Source the only multiplayer game shipping with Half-Life 2?

cliffe: Half-Life 2 will come with CS: Source. Right now, we do not plan to include any other multiplayer games with Half-Life 2."

This would incline you to believe that CS:S was the only multiplayer mode of HL2. HOWEVER, Cliffe (or another Valve employee, I forget) later backpedaled to clarify that he was only talking about separate multiplayer games (i.e, TFC, DOD, richochet, etc). The very fact that there was some backpedaling there inclines me to believe that there IS as HL2-themed mulitplayer included. Why even bother to clarify if anything else was the case?

YamatoTwinkie said:
I think the exact quote was

"CS-Nation: Is CS: Source the only multiplayer game shipping with Half-Life 2?

cliffe: Half-Life 2 will come with CS: Source. Right now, we do not plan to include any other multiplayer games with Half-Life 2."

This would incline you to believe that CS:S was the only multiplayer mode of HL2. HOWEVER, Cliffe (or another Valve employee, I forget) later backpedaled to clarify that he was only talking about separate multiplayer games (i.e, TFC, DOD, richochet, etc). The very fact that there was some backpedaling there inclines me to believe that there IS as HL2-themed mulitplayer included. Why even bother to clarify if anything else was the case?

yet you didn't quote their backpedaling. do you have any proof?

Dident Gabe said a long time ago that he was enjoying the multiplayer part... I'm sure that was before they said andthing about a cs:source or hl:source.. so either:

They have removed hl2- multiplayer
or
He was refering to cs:s which was secret atm
or
there is a hl2- multiplayer which is secret

(im sorry but i dont have a link to this, but im sure he said that

poseyjmac said:
yet you didn't quote their backpedaling. do you have any proof?

do you need any proof,.. ? people enjoyed classic HL deathmatch in HL1, a sensible mans guess is that HL2 will include the same.

people are being too pedantic

clarky003 said:
do you need any proof,.. ? people enjoyed classic HL deathmatch in HL1, a sensible mans guess is that HL2 will include the same.

people are being too pedantic

huh? why are you being so general? im talking about proof for the backpedaling about cliffes comment.

VALVe have kept the HL2 multiplayer under locks, i beleive they could have a very good suprise for us :)

poseyjmac said:
huh? why are you being so general? im talking about proof for the backpedaling about cliffes comment.

my point is there isnt any official proof, so as far as facts are concerned you can only be general about it.

clarky003 said:
my point is there isnt any official proof, so as far as facts are concerned you can only be general about it.

so someone just 'heard' from someone that someone at valve backpedaled about the CS:S is the only mp game comment? thats not very credible

geez, i cant beleive that some people here dont beleive there will be a multiplayer with HL2...
this is valve we are talking about! who do you think they are?

they give it 101%, and its that little bit extra that makes these games super!

you should be ashamed of yourselves.

I just stated it before but it was completely ignored. cliffe said only game not mode. game its a totally different thing. How can you quote the interview question which clearly says its the only game and then say it looks like hes saying its the only mode.

Where has it been stated that CS:S is HL2s official MP. Its not even related to HL2

CS:S is just a quick slap together that there gonner throw in with HL2 its a seperate product that you get with it. Its like buying a gfx card and getting a free game with it. its a thing to get more people to buy your product. The whole idea of valve throwing this peice of crap in with HL2 is to sell more copies.

All the people who think HL2 will have no multiplayer answer this. What was the multiplayer valve were playing before CS:S had even started.

Another question, will mp be strictly online or will it include a bots option? I think it'll be straight online/lan with no bots which kind of sucks imo.

Well how about the time either Gabe or Doug (don't remember) said "Alot of people have been wondering about HL2's multiplayer. We decided to port Counter Strike over to source," or something to that effect. The fact is that we have no proof either way, but it certainly looks to me like CS:S is it.

Well if it werent for the fact that gabe himself said that he wanted to keep MP a secret a year ago and that he plays it everday in the alcatras video, I would definitly think css is the only MP however he did say what he said and I dont believe that css was even a glimir in there eye at that point in time... which kinda keeps things up in the air till we hear otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back