Hl3 on Source engine?

Why not just start speculating about the VR helmets for Half-Life 5? I'll be fumming if they don't exist by then!

Originally posted by frog
Processor speeds double every 18 months, computers will be alot faster in 5 years.

no, thats impossible
if it kept going like that they would use so much electricity that the electromagnetic field would give the user brain tumors

Originally posted by El_Chi
Is internet2 a hypothetical thing or...? What would be the difference? And am I making a fool out of myself by acting like a gullible moron?

/me pisses himself laffing

too bad broadband doesnt double every 18 months.. maybe in 5 years it will be a little better?

It's more than slightly out of the scope of this forum but internet2 is in dev and will hopefully be put into use in parallel with the current system and will gradually replace it. A whole new network and hardware and systems etc. Phenominal transfer speeds "equivalent of approximately one feature-length DVD-quality movie every 36 seconds" is the current "i2 land speed record".

http://lsr.internet2.edu/

Mojo that is a bit misleading, if you scroll down the page you will see that the IPv4 (ie. the existing internet) landspeed records are actually faster by almost 4 times.

I don't think that IPv6 brings anything much in terms of performance gain; performance is more of a hardware thing. The IPv6 standard simply increases the number of available addresses and provides a few extra features to improve apon the flaws in IPv4. It also provides a mechanism for transporting IPv4 packets within IPv6 for backwards compatibility.

The main problem that most of us have today is a bandwidth one, my DSL only goes at 512Kb/s, which given the current state of technology is a bit disappointing really.

Read Ray Kurzweil's Age Of Spiritual Machines, it explains in great detail where computing is probably heading. By current figures, in 2020 Moore's Law will basically run into a brick wall. Transistors (I think that's the term) will become so small that they will be within three microns of each other. Then being prone to something crazy happening with electrons jumping around or something (Haven't read it in a bit, can't remember exactly) and people will be forced to redesign the way computing works.

Some have thought of DNA computing and Crystallized computing as a means for going around that, but we'll see what happens when we get there. An interesting non-related figure, by Moore's Law the average home computer will be as powerful as the human brain by 2019, the average supercomputer by 2009.

As for Half-Life 3, I'm going to go with the theory that they'll do the same thing they did for Half-Life 2, wait for the Half-Life 2's community to begin to dissolve and then slam us with media of the new engine. :cheers:

Originally posted by CapGinyu
Read Ray Kurzweil's Age Of Spiritual Machines, it explains in great detail where computing is probably heading. By current figures, in 2020 Moore's Law will basically run into a brick wall. Transistors (I think that's the term) will become so small that they will be within three microns of each other. Then being prone to something crazy happening with electrons jumping around or something (Haven't read it in a bit, can't remember exactly) and people will be forced to redesign the way computing works.

Some have thought of DNA computing and Crystallized computing as a means for going around that, but we'll see what happens when we get there. An interesting non-related figure, by Moore's Law the average home computer will be as powerful as the human brain by 2019, the average supercomputer by 2009.

As for Half-Life 3, I'm going to go with the theory that they'll do the same thing they did for Half-Life 2, wait for the Half-Life 2's community to begin to dissolve and then slam us with media of the new engine. :cheers:
Yes and according to stupid beliefs before the year 2k
we should all have flying cars, and have sex slave robots who cook and clean while they pleasure us by now

Originally posted by FAK3R
Yes and according to stupid beliefs before the year 2k
we should all have flying cars, and have sex slave robots who cook and clean while they pleasure us by now

so true so true:cheers:

and we are living on mars:borg:

Originally posted by FAK3R
...and have sex slave robots who cook and clean while they pleasure us...

What? None of you guys have this?

Back