Hmmm.. Didn't Valve say..

Ghoti

Reaction score
...that they'd be saying something about the HL2 multiplayer "not long after E3"? So far, about the only things they've said about multiplayer are:
  • There will be multiplayer with HL2
  • Said multiplayer will not be TF2
  • TF2, in fact, will be a separate product
  • Authentication, messaging, server browsing, et al., will take place over Steam
Not exactly what I was hoping for. Anyone think that Valve will break their status incommunicadum on the HL2 Multiplayer facet?

That said, I'll be playing the single-player game before MP, though I will be hosting a server for you cart-before-the-horst types out there :)

scrayN that was entirely unessesary. I hope somebody slaps you for that one.

I doubt they will say anything. If they do, it will be but a week before release.

Did I say something to offend you, scrayN? If so, what?

they have to tell ppl about the multiplayer before they buy it ... they just have to

Originally posted by Ghoti
Did I say something to offend you, scrayN? If so, what?

Yeah, hah, that came out of nowhere

And im hoping there will be something at the alcatraz publicity show :D

Why does it bother you that they're not saying anything? Don't you like to be surprised? :E

its the nature of society today, people like to know everything before the fact, ie everything about games, movies spoilers etc, no one likes to be surprised anymore

well they've got to give something to magazines to review,

the latest pc zone - which was released a few weeks ago - said that valve said to expect something next month, possibly for them to review, who knows

Whether or not they actually say anything, I do hope that the multiplayer is more interesting than straight deathmatch. Or has at least a mode that is such.

Straight deathmatching tires me quickly. I have all these visions of beautiful moments in MP taking the physics into account though.

Whether or not they actually say anything, I do hope that the multiplayer is more interesting than straight deathmatch. Or has at least a mode that is such.

Straight deathmatching tires me quickly. I have all these visions of beautiful moments in MP taking the physics into account though.

HL1 came with just straight DM and like 8 (?) levels if I remember correctly, so Im not ecpecting anything huge from HL2.

There will be no demo before the release date. That is certain! :D

The first rule of Half-Life 2 multiplayer is you don't talk about Half-Life 2 multiplayer

Originally posted by Bass
HL1 came with just straight DM and like 8 (?) levels if I remember correctly, so Im not ecpecting anything huge from HL2.

lol. That was then, this is now. If it was just that, they would have said it already. It's going to be something special- at least Valve thinks so. I mean, it could suck, but Valve certainly thinks it kicks ass.

But I think it's reasonable to think it will also come with a standard DM too :O

Who said anything about a demo, Slash?

Anyhow, I'd be quite suprised if there wasn't a straight DM mode, but I'm really hopeful that there's at least something else in the mix; even CTF would be nice.

I'm really hoping that Valve's silence is covering something spectacular, kind of like what they did with HL2 itself.

Originally posted by Slash
lol. That was then, this is now. If it was just that, they would have said it already. It's going to be something special- at least Valve thinks so. I mean, it could suck, but Valve certainly thinks it kicks ass.

But I think it's reasonable to think it will also come with a standard DM too :O

They do? I dont remember them saying it kicks ass, in fact I dopnt remember them mentioning it at all.

once we see real box-shots we'll know whats going on with MP...they can't release a game and not have a MP description on the back of teh box, can they?!

we'll see boxes once they stock the shelves with it in the stores :|

I have this feeling that they will include CS2 with HL2 as a free mod. After all, the development costs on CS2 have probably been pretty low since they have had only one person working on it more or less (Gooseman) so they wouldn't lose too much money on it. And Gooseman is by nature a mod maker. I think Valve wants to convert the CS community over to CS2 as far as possible, and they will probably be able to bring over a larger portion of the community over if CS2 is included as a free mod than if they release it as a separate product. "Transfering" the community over to CS2 will make for a more happy customer base since Valve will be able to better update the game and release anti-cheats and such stuff more often. I'm not saying that the entire CS community will go over of course since there will always be stubborn bastards who hate all changes whether good or bad. Well, we'll see in just under 29 days. :)

I think claims that CS2, TF2, or DoD2 will be the MP portion of the game are ludicris, and that people are getting their hopes up for nothing.

Well, they had no idea how successful HL would become, especially the multiplayer part of it. I am expecting some amazing new game types that have not been done before, along with standard DM and who knows what else.

Originally posted by LoneDeranger
The first rule of Half-Life 2 multiplayer is you don't talk about Half-Life 2 multiplayer
lol :)

Originally posted by Kuros
I have this feeling that they will include CS2 with HL2 as a free mod. After all, the development costs on CS2 have probably been pretty low since they have had only one person working on it more or less (Gooseman) so they wouldn't lose too much money on it. And Gooseman is by nature a mod maker. I think Valve wants to convert the CS community over to CS2 as far as possible
Woah, you think they paid one man to make a sequel to the biggest multiplayer game EVER?!? We have seen Gooseman working on it but it would be crazy to think he didn't have a team of people working with him. They HAVE to have a team of professional mappers... CS2 environments will have to be much more detailed than CS1 maps, and therefore will require a ton of work to perfect. Also, I really doubt CS2 would be released until a while after CZ comes out. They aren't going to throw that away just yet.

Bass, I don't claim anything, I just theorize [is that a word?] about it.
Anyhow, could you elaborate why you think the "claims" are ludicrous? Just stating your opinion isn't very constructive. :)

I wasnt meaning to criticize, I just feel a) the developers of these mods have not been working with valve this whole time, and as such havent been working on CS2, DoD2 etc for years and years, and b) valve/sierra/VU would be giving up a potential cash cow by giving up CS2/TF2/DoD2 for free, sorry for coming off like a dick

Personally, I'm not much of a CS fan, and unless it's gotten very different, I really hope that CS2 isn't the HL2MP. I'll at least get a little something of a headstart, as they usually release the server software before the client. I don't know if they'll do this for HL2 though. Hmm, sounds like fodder for an email to Gabe :)

Personally, I'm not much of a CS fan, and unless it's gotten very different, I really hope that CS2 isn't the HL2MP. I'll at least get a little something of a headstart, as they usually release the server software before the client. I don't know if they'll do this for HL2 though. Hmm, sounds like fodder for an email to Gabe :)

Same here, apparently were the only 2 ppl who dont want the HL2 MP to be CS2.

Originally posted by LoneDeranger

Too much Fight Club m8 :)

i think it's possible tf2 will be released with hl2, because that was valve's product all along, i remember seeing the pics and videos back when i bought hl, and wanting to get it so bad, and being so dissapointed when it never came out.. i have friends who lost their full preorder money, just because the game never came out.

i believe hl2 will have multiple modes of multiplayer which reside in the hl2 universe, and then in addition might or might not include team fortress 2.

Out of CS2, DoD2, and TF2, I WOULD have to say that TF2 would seem the most plausible to be included with HL2.

Well, Gooseman has been working on CS2 for more than two years already - he even talked about it on some TV show a while ago. Gabe also confirmed it around May 2001.

The biggest argument against CS2 being included as a mod is that they might earn more money from it by releasing it stand-alone. But then again, having it included with HL2 will make HL2 more attractive and will lure more people into buying it.

I argue against that Bass:
1. Valve stated several times that TF2 will be stand-alone.
2. Valve has had a huge-ass crew working on TF2 for a long time, I hardly think they will want to release it for free.
3. CS2 has only had one person working on it (and he is a mod-maker)

All Valid points, and truthfully none of us will know until the 30th. You could be 100% right, or I could be right, or valve could dupe us both and have the MP be Survival of the Fittest, pitting zombies versus headcrabs ;) Sept. 30th should be fun.

Same here, apparently were the only 2 ppl who dont want the HL2 MP to be CS2.
Make that 3 ppl :D
Although I like CS, I don't really want it to be the hl2 mp. I want something that is new and original, something that nobody has seen before that will blow our minds when we first see or hear about it.

Hopefully the mods that have been announced as stand-alone games will be done for the most part as they are now: free mods with the option of buying the game in a store for people that have a slow internet connection... though, I have a feeling that they might not do this.

If the mods are free and people could download them anyway it would make sense to pack one of the better mods with the game (like they did with TFC in the GotY edition) to sell extra copies.

The CS team (yes, there is more than just Gooseman) has also been part of Valve long enough for them to have made a new mod (because Valve took over the patches/updates of the original CS) with the assistance of other Valve employees.

HL2 will sell well even if it only has standard DM and TeamDM... but it will sell incredibly well if they bundle something like CS2 with it.

I would rather see something new, but CS2 would appeal to all of those rabid CS players out there... and would make Valve a lot of money.

The one thing we do difinitively know is that TF2 will not be shipped with HL2 as the MP component, with the one possible exception being that Gabe may have simply said so to throw us off the trail.

How cool would that be?

In the Valve info thread didn't Gabe already say that the multiplayer won't be CS2 or TF2? Personally I hope it's something new.

Back