holiday vid card

G

Gajdycz

whic is better x800pro or 6800 gt,

what are the modding abilities of each (pro to xt)

how well will they do hl2.

quality

The 6800 GT is better and from what ive heard is easy to OC to an Ultra.. the x800 Pro will require you to reconnect a few of the pipelines which is risky stuff. Both cards will be fine for HL2.

It is going to depend on your systems specs and the future. I say you should wait several months before making a decision. You never know what will happen in the video card industry.

6800gt is better than x800 in games like Doom3, in ther applications they are similar but GT has upper hand due to its extra 4 pipes.

the x800pro vivo can easily be modded to an XT by flashing its bios (it MUST be a vivo) while most GTs can be clocked to Ultra clocks

First benchmarks show that ATi have the upperhand in HL2, but both will perform very well.

I'd pick the 6800 GT. Both will serve you very well in HL2, although ATI does have the advantage there, but in most other games the 6800 GT is the better of the two. I also heard the 6800 Gt is easy to mod to ultra speeds, so I'd pick it over the x800 pro, as the X800 Pro requires some more careful modding (enabling all 16 pipelines for example)

vivo means that the card has a video in/video out port on it and a theatre chip, however what makes it moddable is the fact that the x800pro vivos are in fact speed binned XTs which were unstable at XT speeds, so all you need to do is find the right bios, maybe get a bit of cooling onto the card and there you go x800xt. Some Pros will not make xt speeds though.

If you want the fastest card for HL2 and its mods, go for the X800 PRO.
If you want the fastest card for Doom 3 and its mods, go for the 6800GT.

Actually the 6800GT will still run HL2 at max settings with 60fps or higher, so the 6800GT is still the best choice. Plus HL2 I guess will support SM3.0.

Gajdycz said:
whic is better x800pro or 6800 gt,

what are the modding abilities of each (pro to xt)

how well will they do hl2.

quality
6800 GT ALL THE WAY!!!!! :sniper:

I prefer having a faster card myself above having a noticbly slower card with a little bit of extra shadowing.

Dead-Inside said:
I prefer having a faster card myself above having a noticbly slower card with a little bit of extra shadowing.
You mean x800 pro is faster then 6800 GT
BHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA :smoking: :rolling: :upstare: :LOL:

Yes Dead-Inside. Weren't you the one that told me not to post if I don't know the facts? Now I'm telling you not to post if you don't know the facts, because the GT has proved itself the better of the two, it's also alot easier to overclock it than flashing the bios on the x800 pro. Sure the memory clock speed is faster on the x800 pro, but the 6800 GT IS better!

ASUS, GET IN HERE AND HELP ME heh....6800 GT I would say is a far better buy, because Halflife 2 is ONE game the X800 does real good in, but when compared to the GT in other games it's about even...GT is cheaper, and as they were saying easier to overclock

x800xt pe is faster than a 6800 ultra but the 6800GT is the superior card to the x800 pro in the majority of benchmarks.

The 6800 Ultra Extreme is made to handle the X800XT PE. The regular Ultra is for the normal X800XT, right?

Champ said:
The 6800 Ultra Extreme is made to handle the X800XT PE. The regular Ultra is for the normal X800XT, right?
The 499$ ATI card is the X800XT PE. The 499$ Nvidia card is the 6800Ultra.
Some companies take the 6800Ultra chip, OC them and then sell them as Ultra Extreme cards. Some with watercooling and some just with air. Gainward's Cool FX 2600 Ultra Golden Sample review (6800Ultra Extreme)

Overall, the 6800GT is quicker than the X800pro. Nvidia did not orignially plan for the 6800GT but released it as a very close performer to the Ultra to make sure it could gain market share again, lucky for us consumers. X800pro is also a great card and performs really well in HL2 and similar games while the 6800GT wins in Doom 3, OpenGL games and a few other DirectX games.

Buy either as they are both more power than you will really ever need this year. lol

Champ said:
Yes Dead-Inside. Weren't you the one that told me not to post if I don't know the facts? Now I'm telling you not to post if you don't know the facts, because the GT has proved itself the better of the two, it's also alot easier to overclock it than flashing the bios on the x800 pro. Sure the memory clock speed is faster on the x800 pro, but the 6800 GT IS better!

... IT RENDERS BETTER GRAHPIC.
Don't tell me I'm wrong when I tell you that the x800 is faster. Omfg.
And I said that *I* prefer having a faster card then a slight bit fancier graphic. It'll hold better in the long run. That's my opinion, now piss off.

Dead-Inside said:
... IT RENDERS BETTER GRAHPIC.
Don't tell me I'm wrong when I tell you that the x800 is faster. Omfg.
And I said that *I* prefer having a faster card then a slight bit fancier graphic. It'll hold better in the long run. That's my opinion, now piss off.

It isn't faster. The 6800 GT has proved itself to be the better of the two when it concerns FPS. The X800 Pro has a better memory clock speed, but the GT performs better in the majority of games. (in the benchies I have seen. It also seems like it's the general sentiment in here.)
Yes, that is your opinion but you said that the X800 Pro is faster than the GT. That's wrong. Period.

I havnt had time to really follow the new graphics Gen, with school and crap.

But i'd suggest you do what I, and most others do. Sit back, wait 6 months, proce drops 150$ and the true problems and power of each is known.

Buying a brand new card is foolish.

Champ said:
It isn't faster. The 6800 GT has proved itself to be the better of the two when it concerns FPS. The X800 Pro has a better memory clock speed, but the GT performs better in the majority of games. (in the benchies I have seen. It also seems like it's the general sentiment in here.)
Yes, that is your opinion but you said that the X800 Pro is faster than the GT. That's wrong. Period.

Give me 3 benchmarks which tells me that. You're not breaking me by saying "It's that way". lol.

Ye'll get them tommorow. It's bedtime fer me now (23:40)

Dead-Inside. Still waiting for your reply, I see you're online.

Seems to me you do not want to face the truth. You asked for 3 reviews, you got 3 reviews. No answer from ya.
Question: How does one write the noise a chicken makes?

Back