Home theater system. Need help. Mainly sound system.

Asuka

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Ok so i have my TV for a while now and its time to get some sound going. Been doing my own research past few months and iv come up with this.

I need two of these: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6638677&st=6638677&type=product&id=1151658128827
One of these: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6638542&st=6638542&type=product&id=1151657261372
(pretty sure two speakers are included not 100% sure tho)

Im undecided on the center speaker (but this looks good, just looks real big for a center speaker): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6638855&st=6638855&type=product&id=1151658129072

My main concern is a receiver. Im stuck, dont want to spend a insane amount on a receiver that im not going to be using. Im a spending freak and i really need to get a hold of myself. I have two more things on my buy list that once i get over im done. Thing is i cant buy something if i know something is better, but i also dont want to spend on something im not going to use or need. I want the best for my speakers so that when i move in a bigger room i can use them at there highest power and quality. Right now i dont think im even going to be doing 20% of what these beasts can do. So help me out guys, ask your speaker savvy tech friends!

These are the receiver's iv been recommended.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7900809&st=7900809&type=product&id=1158317052448
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7698832&st=7698832&type=product&id=1151658133559

Now this is what is bothering me.

I was told if i don't get a "Good" or "powerful" enough receiver my speakers will downgrade over time.

I wont be able to use them to there full extent if i dont have a powerful enough receiver.

EDIT! Oh man forgot a big one any tips on cables will be appreciated as well, like optic cables, wiring, etc.

you bought a expesnive stuff and dont even know how to install it?

oh poor boy let the wallet find you someone to do it

****ing assholes. Don't ****ing post if you don't intend to help. People learn and i know what i want doesn't mean i should know how to install it or know exactly all the ****ing details. That's why I'm posting.

Losers.

Either google it, read the best buy articles on the site you linked or simply walk into the store to go and get educated on what you need.

Either google it, read the best buy articles on the site you linked or simply walk into the store to go and get educated on what you need.

We have another idiot...What are forums for? Let me educate you on this - Sharing opinions and asking questions.

Read the Best Buy articles...? Are you ****ing stupid? In what shape would that help me.
Walk into a store, 99% of the people in retail don't know jack shit about anything, but i guess you don't know that. Trying to point out how I'm an idiot when you clearly get ripped a new asshole while in a store, trusting and "getting educated" by a retail sales person. LOL

oh and the lovely Google post. Man are people ****ing stubborn. Why would i be posting if i can Google want i need. I'm obvious not getting good information so I'm looking for peoples opinions or people who have bought and own a setup like the one I'm buying. Is it that hard to understand?

dont buy your shit at best buy.. shop around a little and you can find the same shit for 1/2 the price. your speakers are not going to die because you dont have enought power.. thats like onlying limiting your engine to 1/2 throttle.. its not going to hurt your car.. but you wont go as fast or as loud.

i personally dont like 7.1... im a fan of 4.1 myself.
i sure as hell dont recommend buying speakers from best buy.. where you could easily shop around and buy much better shit for your $$
i bet you dont have one of these locally.. but it where i bought my audio stuff from. the second reciever isnt bad..

http://www.rexstores.com/flexon/site/Audio/Receivers/list.html

I can't help much here, but cheddarrr, under powered amplifiers CAN sure as hell kill your speakers. Only around its maximum output though (which is limited by the power supply, not the added up watts that it can do in an individual channel). When the thing reaches its maximum, the sound will distort. The wave will deform from a nice wave, to a wave with flat tip. This creates extra frequencies that were not there before, and generally these are much higher than the original soundwave. The power that went into the soundwave will not partly be put into those high frequencies. This could eaily be more than 10W that will be blasted through your tweeters. Bye tweeters.

My recommendation is to look for a good audiophile forums and hang around a bit. Join and ask questions if you can't find the answer.

woah, never saw mad Asuka before, always extremely excited Asuka.

P.S kinda scary to be honest

We have another idiot...What are forums for? Let me educate you on this - Sharing opinions and asking questions.

Read the Best Buy articles...? Are you ****ing stupid? In what shape would that help me.
Walk into a store, 99% of the people in retail don't know jack shit about anything, but i guess you don't know that. Trying to point out how I'm an idiot when you clearly get ripped a new asshole while in a store, trusting and "getting educated" by a retail sales person. LOL

oh and the lovely Google post. Man are people ****ing stubborn. Why would i be posting if i can Google want i need. I'm obvious not getting good information so I'm looking for peoples opinions or people who have bought and own a setup like the one I'm buying. Is it that hard to understand?

Asuka, while i completely agree on what youre saying (salesman 'educating' you to basically buy the most expensive thing so that they get a bigger bonus at the end of the month for having the most sales, is frankly a complete waste of time), youre needlessly slapping people for not giving advice, when i for one cant see you giving advice either?

Dont shoot me down too, im just trying to defend everyone here by saying what im sure some of us are thinking mate.

And making a post asking a question and then obliterating everyone that says anything = nobody bothering to say anything at all id bet.

Asuka, while i completely agree on what youre saying (salesman 'educating' you to basically buy the most expensive thing so that they get a bigger bonus at the end of the month for having the most sales, is frankly a complete waste of time), youre needlessly slapping people for not giving advice, when i for one cant see you giving advice either?

Don't shoot me down too, I'm just trying to defend everyone here by saying what I'm sure some of us are thinking mate.

And making a post asking a question and then obliterating everyone that says anything = nobody bothering to say anything at all id bet.

You have a point and i have no reason to shoot you down. The posters above where trying to get under my skin because I'm buying something they cant. That's how i see it. Be a dick to someone you don't know just because he is spending on something the average person cant buy. I have posted in a audio forum but the reason i always post here as well is because i always seem to get good advice.

Anyway back on topic. If you have any friends or know any forums for audio /home theater please post. This is really the only one i know about. It takes forever to get a reply on that forum tho.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10485396#post10485396

****ing assholes. Don't ****ing post if you don't intend to help. People learn and i know what i want doesn't mean i should know how to install it or know exactly all the ****ing details. That's why I'm posting.

Losers.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH IT'S ON!

EDIT: Man I'm an asshole.

You have a point and i have no reason to shoot you down. The posters above where trying to get under my skin because I'm buying something they cant. That's how i see it. Be a dick to someone you don't know just because he is spending on something the average person cant buy. I have posted in a audio forum but the reason i always post here as well is because i always seem to get good advice.

True, i get it too, the whole 'oooooooooh someone's a rich ****ard' thing.

You just have to rise above it and grit your teeth. Its just jealousy.

And im sure youll get proper advice this evening when everyone is back from work/college or whatever. It seems the kids are online at the mo. SHOULDNT YOU BE IN SCHOOL!?!?!?!

We have a home theater system. It's pretty nice.

Don't forget about the subwoofer, Asuka!

Are you that retarded? Since your such a rich asshole why dont you go and pay someone to build it for you? You come here asking us how to spend your thousands of dollars and how to hook it up. YOu refuse to use the vast resources already online and refuse to go to people who know what they are talking about. Yeah they will try to sell you shit but if you go there to get educated they do know what they are talking about. Better than we do here as none of us have a degreee in home theater systems. Why don't you do something yourself for a change.

You cant tell but im trying to ease the tension by mooning you guys...

Are you that retarded? Since your such a rich asshole why dont you go and pay someone to build it for you? You come here asking us how to spend your thousands of dollars and how to hook it up. YOu refuse to use the vast resources already online and refuse to go to people who know what they are talking about. Yeah they will try to sell you shit but if you go there to get educated they do know what they are talking about. Better than we do here as none of us have a degreee in home theater systems. Why don't you do something yourself for a change.

So he has a few thousand dollars to spend on a speaker system, what is the big deal? For the record I can't afford such a setup either but I don't call people an asshole just because they can afford something I can't.

People come in here all the time and ask for opinions and advice, I don't see what the problem is.

Idiot. You cant build a receiver, and you obvious never went to a retail store to shop. Considering i work in one i think i know what I'm talking about. Oh and i am getting someone to install it, doesn't fix my problem. Nice Try. Just please don't waste any ones time again, with your pointless posts.

Anyway back on topic, I'm not going to reply to any of these low life's again. Anyone who is willing to give some useful information please do and it would be appreciated.

omfg I suck cuz I cant buy a home theater! omfg I must end my life!

Well i guess no one here can give me some useful information. Thanks to all the people who tried you have helped. If you know of any forums for audio please let me know.

I've had a few problems myself with my Sony surround sound stuff, nothing related to receivers though.
ROFL post 4

only in hl2.net can a forum about sound systems become a flame war.

KILL!!!!

So he has a few thousand dollars to spend on a speaker system, what is the big deal? For the record I can't afford such a setup either but I don't call people an asshole just because they can afford something I can't.

People come in here all the time and ask for opinions and advice, I don't see what the problem is.

I did offer him serious help on the first page and he flamed me back. If he is too ignorant to find help on his own outside of asking a bunch of kids how to spend his money then that is his own problem. Just because we aren't all experts on home theater systems doesn't mean he needs to be a dick to people who tried to help him.

Are you serious dude? You must be confused about what help means. Re read your post and tell me in what way, shape or form that helps me.

Anyway the same time i posted here i posted in the AVS forum and iv gotten some better info there, it just takes forever for people to reply on that forum.

Here is the link again: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10502176#post10502176

Asuka, find your own god damn help, this isn't Helplife2.net

**rimshot**

If i were to post about computer help none of you would have a problem helping. Why is it that just because I'm posting about something else everyone is going in flames about helping me.

Seriously, its a forum that has many members, some are bound to have some information that doesn't have anything to do with HL2 or computers. Now please you have no point and no bases for a argument. So can we please stick on topic. If no one knows anything about audio let the thread die away. But for now i will KEEP asking for help no matter the subject.

In the mean time im making progress on the AVS forum. Its looking like im going for the Denon Receiver.

Check out some AVR recievers...they might be better than the Denom. Look at this page to see some specs:

http://www.harmankardon.com/category.aspx

I have a cheaper AVR reciever that cost me about $1000. I never heard sound so good. Get a good comparison between the ones you want.

Also, all that stuff you are going to buy is worth nothing if you don't have decent speaker placement. This is extremely important. I have a 7.1 surround system and just by putting the speakers in the optimal position in the room (depends on your room dimentions), I drastically changed the sound quality. If you want help setting up yout Home theater system, you can ask me anytime. I love this stuff. :thumbs:

Check out some AVR recievers...they might be better than the Denom. Look at this page to see some specs:

http://www.harmankardon.com/category.aspx

I have a cheaper AVR reciever that cost me about $1000. I never heard sound so good. Get a good comparison between the ones you want.

Also, all that stuff you are going to buy is worth nothing if you don't have decent speaker placement. This is extremely important. I have a 7.1 surround system and just by putting the speakers in the optimal position in the room (depends on your room dimentions), I drastically changed the sound quality. If you want help setting up yout Home theater system, you can ask me anytime. I love this stuff. :thumbs:

Wow, thanks a lot. About speaker placement i was going to have someone come over and do it for me but any heads up would be great.

The room I'm doing it in now is a alright size. Ill take pictures later. I'm just planning ahead. Once i get a bigger place etc. I should have the pictures by tomorrow morning.

If i were to post about computer help none of you would have a problem helping. Why is it that just because I'm posting about something else everyone is going in flames about helping me.

Seriously, its a forum that has many members, some are bound to have some information that doesn't have anything to do with HL2 or computers. Now please you have no point and no bases for a argument. So can we please stick on topic. If no one knows anything about audio let the thread die away. But for now i will KEEP asking for help no matter the subject.

In the mean time im making progress on the AVS forum. Its looking like im going for the Denon Receiver.

The reason we would help with computers and not AVS crap is that we all know about computers and there are a lot of people skilled with computers here. There is no reason for you to suspect that any of us would know anything related to AVS as we are all gamers and don't have the money to buy expensive speakers and the like. All we can do is point you to google and flame you. Which we did...a lot.

The reason we would help with computers and not AVS crap is that we all know about computers and there are a lot of people skilled with computers here. There is no reason for you to suspect that any of us would know anything related to AVS as we are all gamers and don't have the money to buy expensive speakers and the like. All we can do is point you to google and flame you. Which we did...a lot.

Very mature and you make soooooo much sense. Nice stereotyping..."as we are all gamers and don't have the money to buy expensive speakers" WTF! Does gaming have anything to do with speakers or income? Gaming computer's range from $2000-$10000. This is a forum full of people and last time i checked just because this is HALFLIFE2.net doesn't mean we aren't normal people with OTHER INTERESTS besides Half-Life 2 and gaming/computers. I expect that some people would know about Audio/HT and i was right. It would have been much nicer without any of the idiot posts. Your posting like i haven't gotten one good reply yet i have a few and some very helpful. So again you people have no argument, no bases, no point.

Lets see the come back.. In the mean time ill have those pictures of the room by Tomorrow. Speaker placement is something i didn't think about until you pointed it out. I'm relatively sure it's a big enough room but i really don't know where to put the things.

To: dream431ca

Very mature and you make soooooo much sense. Nice stereotyping..."as we are all gamers and don't have the money to buy expensive speakers" WTF! Does gaming have anything to do with speakers or income? Gaming computer's range from $2000-$10000. This is a forum full of people and last time i checked just because this is HALFLIFE2.net doesn't mean we aren't normal people with OTHER INTERESTS besides Half-Life 2 and gaming/computers. I expect that some people would know about Audio/HT and i was right. It would have been much nicer without any of the idiot posts. Your posting like i haven't gotten one good reply yet i have a few and some very helpful. So again you people have no argument, no bases, no point.

Lets see the come back.. In the mean time ill have those pictures of the room by Tomorrow. Speaker placement is something i didn't think about until you pointed it out. I'm relatively sure it's a big enough room but i really don't know where to put the things.

To: dream431ca

Good point. I think I might have cancer so I should porbally go post on a car repair forum because, you know, they are normal people too and might be able to diagnose me over the internet instead of going to a doctor and doing things myself.

Thank you for confirming your a moron, now please stop flooding my thread with your idiocy.

Back