Honest Question: Do you realize that Half-Life 2 is just a game?

Well?

• Yes, it's just a game, I should get all horny.

Votes: 86 52.4%
  • No, Half-Life 2 is my new God, Mom, Goat and Penis

Votes: 78 47.6%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Tredoslop
Your mom's life
-or-
Half-life 2 with a
P5 4.7 Ghz
500 GB ram
Radeon 9800XT PRO 512 MB RAM
21inch screen
Creative Labs Audigy 2

Well that's just wrong...anyone who would give their mother's life away for a video game and computer is sick in the head...or just really hates their mother

I wonder why I see "IAM GONNA HAVE SEX WITH ALYX" Threads:p
Oh, and dis, mine got lost in a Crowbar factory fire.

Your mom's life
-or-
Half-life 2 with a
P5 4.7 Ghz
500 GB ram
Radeon 9800XT PRO 512 MB RAM
21inch screen
Creative Labs Audigy 2

how about i give up my life instead for my mother :borg:

People are expecting too much of it, don't do it, you'll be disappointed.
Some people expect the game that changes our vision of gaming, the game that inspires the world for world peace, the game that will make sharon and arafat buddy's, the game that will cure cancer and aids.

Originally posted by PvtRyan
Some people expect the game that changes our vision of gaming, the game that inspires the world for world peace, the game that will make sharon and arafat buddy's, the game that will cure cancer and aids.

but dude, it says so ON THE BOX

I mean, honestly, you guys are asking to make a national holiday for a video game, that happens to be on a disk, which happens to be plastic, and if you shine some light on it--it becomes really shinny.

what are u 13? :flame:

Re: Re: Honest Question: Do you realize that Half-Life 2 is just a game?

Originally posted by ||Diablo||
what are u 13? :flame:
What does that hafta do with anything?

Originally posted by pHATE1982
It doesn't cure cancer?

shit

It's a design decision, not a technical limitation.

It's a design decision, not a technical limitation.

Thank god! So I can always mod it then. I KNEW my expectations weren't to high!

Bloody filastines!!!!! (spelling?)

My expectations for the original Half-Life were succeeded by and far when I played it...and I had been following its preview coverage for some time before it came out---I knew it was gonna blow away everything.

It took Valve two years to make the original Half-Life (one if you count the restart point as the beginning of the build we all have now). If its taken them five to make the sequel, I know it won't disappoint.

EDIT: Oh, and just from the E3 vids I know it won't disappoint...I mean who here actually believes it'll suck?

nice backgrounds i put #2 on my desktop.

like i said before though(yes im a broken record), its not halflife2 so much as it is the veins of games that will spring forth from it. there will be so many good mods, unless ALL of them fail, hl2 will be worthy of its hype.

Originally posted by spitcodfry
My expectations for the original Half-Life were succeeded by and far when I played it...and I had been following its preview coverage for some time before it came out---I knew it was gonna blow away everything.

It took Valve two years to make the original Half-Life (one if you count the restart point as the beginning of the build we all have now). If its taken them five to make the sequel, I know it won't disappoint.

No but the advantage of not expecting much is that you'll never ever be disappointed, and probably will be amazed :p
I've had my share of disappointments, with games B&W was the worst :(
I expected SO much and got SO little. And it was made by a respected company by a game designing legend and had a lot of developement time, yet it disappointed 95% of the people.

Hypothetical Question:
If I we're to give out free copies of Half-Life 2 under one condition, such as give up your girlfriends, would you do it?

Nope. If HL2 could keep me warm at night, and comfort me when I'm feelin' blue... Then maybe.

Oh wait, maybe it can! The Source engine solves all of life's problems! Yay!!!!!!11

Originally posted by poseyjmac
nice backgrounds i put #2 on my desktop.

like i said before though(yes im a broken record), its not halflife2 so much as it is the veins of games that will spring forth from it. there will be so many good mods, unless ALL of them fail, hl2 will be worthy of its hype.

Thnx :)

But the first total conversions like the last great war won't be there until Q1-Q2 2004, until then we'll have to do it with HL2

And out of all singeplayer mods for HL1, no mod has beaten the experience of HL1.

I mean, honestly, you guys are asking to make a national holiday for a video game, that happens to be on a disk, which happens to be plastic, and if you shine some light on it--it becomes really shinny.

yes and this disk happens to be the most advanced computer game ever created.

the hours of pleasure and enjoyment i get from computer games far outwiegh most other "phenomenon" like the milenium, sure we whent all 2000ish but that was it..... and the world cup, sure it was fun but it only lasted a few weeks.

whereass a truly great video game can last a lifetime.

Thnx :)

But the first total conversions like the last great war won't be there until Q1-Q2 2004, until then we'll have to do it with HL2

And out of all singeplayer mods for HL1, no mod has beaten the experience of HL1.

ah, i never tried any SP mods, i guess im talking about all the MP Mods. thats what kept in into hl for so long, and i actually just completed halflife1 for the first time last night.

Its just a game your very correct.
but
This is a new experience, means your getting a new information and new type of pleasure something similar to sex.

ya halflife 2 is a game, just its the best game ever, thats why we crazy around here :p

Originally posted by poseyjmac
ah, i never tried any SP mods, i guess im talking about all the MP Mods. thats what kept in into hl for so long, and i actually just completed halflife1 for the first time last night.

Yeah what I was saying is that IF (purely hypothetical speaking ofcoz :p) HL2 singeplayer sucks then the chances are that we'll never see a sp mod beat the experience of HL1.

Hypothetical Question:
If I we're to give out free copies of Half-Life 2 under one condition, such as give up your girlfriends, would you do it?
it would depend who my girlfriend was. If i had to give up anything else of the same calibre. i.e. my turntables. definately not, its just a game :)

Honest Questions:
- Do you understand that Schindler's List or Godfather or Memento are just movies?
- Do you understand that Lord of the Flies or 1984 or Catch 22 are just books?
- Do you understand that Beethoven or Mozart or Tchaikoskvy are just composers?
- Do you understand that the Mona Lisa is just a picture?

I hate posts like this. Computer games are just another form of art. Just because they're new and are able to be enjoyed by a larger range of people makes people think that they're less deserving of our time or attention, and that it makes people juvenile or immature to be interested in them.

Sure, maybe Half-Life 2 isn't comparable to the works I listed above. But in the realm of things in the gaming industry, it's on the same level. How excited do people who are in the film industry get when Stephen Spielberg is coming out with a new movie? It's the same thing.

its not just a game, it is The game. and it will be for a while. and i havnt been this excited about something for a very long time

Hypothetical Question:

That would be like saying my gf is worth $50. I know I've spent a shitload more than that on her. Ergo, it would a complete waste of an investment to give her up for HL2, when I could buy it.

Of course, there are addition, non-quantifiable reasons, too....

Originally posted by nostgard
Honest Questions:
- Do you understand that Schindler's List or Godfather or Memento are just movies?
- Do you understand that Lord of the Flies or 1984 or Catch 22 are just books?
- Do you understand that Beethoven or Mozart or Tchaikoskvy are just composers?
- Do you understand that the Mona Lisa is just a picture?

I hate posts like this. Computer games are just another form of art. Just because they're new and are able to be enjoyed by a larger range of people makes people think that they're less deserving of our time or attention, and that it makes people juvenile or immature to be interested in them.

Sure, maybe Half-Life 2 isn't comparable to the works I listed above. But in the realm of things in the gaming industry, it's on the same level. How excited do people who are in the film industry get when Stephen Spielberg is coming out with a new movie? It's the same thing.

HERE HERE

:cheers:

I'll have to agree with this.
Well said.

Would you guys get this excited for a movie of the same status?

hah! Of course. Your acting like it's abnormal to get really excited for anything in life! Is your life really dull? The Matrix Revolutions comes out 11/5/2003 :cheese:

Duh! :dork:

Is there any answer besides Yes and No ? lol I don't like my choices here, i need a third.

I don't understand this. Someone mentioned an example about football earlier and I agree with him. Right now my dad is very nervous and excited about the Bufalo/Miami game. He is on the edge of his seat, biting his fingernails in anticipation. If I were to go up to him and say "You know dad, this is just a game" he would rip out my heart in anger (maybe a little extreme for an example, but who cares). To him it's more than just a game. It is his escape from reality. He sinks time and effort into football, he loves it and it gives him happiness to watch it. Telling him it's just a game is an insult. It applys to gamers as well. Gaming is my escape, it's vital to my well being believe it or not. That goes for every human on this planet. We all have our little escapes, and they are all equal in importance. We would all be raving lunatics without them.

I, of course, understand that Half Life 2 is just a game. But I've been playing games my whole life, I've seen the invention and the revolution of the first person shooter, of 3d graphics, of story based gaming. And through all this, no game I've ever looked forward to has actually met my expectations. In my childhood, I'd look towards a game and imagine infinite detail, characters with human-like intelligence, the ability to do anything within the game world; I was always disappointed.

I don't expect Half Life 2 to meet these expectations either, but from what I've seen, it's taking us one big step closer to finally meeting these expectations. Isn't that worth getting excited over?

Much better reason to take the day off then Star Wars : Episode 1 was and look how many people did.

Back