Horizontal Lines on Menu

Z

zookeeper

I have had this problem before with Team Fortress and I never ended up trying to resolve it, I'd forgotten all about it until now.

Basically, when I try to run Half Life 2, nothing is displayed except for a series of horizontal lines of various colour taking up the whole screen. If memory serves, the lines are roughly the same colour as the start menu... but I could be wrong.

I have played Half Life 2 before on the same PC with no problems so I'm not sure why I can't do it now.

Usually this problem means that my computer does not respond to anything, so I have to turn it off at the button which isn't great. Also, because of this I was not able to get a screenshot. But after i used the -novid command to skip straight to the main menu, I've been able to Alt-Tab out of my horizontal line nightmare and get a decent screenshot.

Trouble is, the screenshot shows the menu as normal. No lines at all!

Without the -novid command, I can hear all the right sounds such as the creepy noise that plays over the valve logo... but no actual valve logo.

I'm afraid i'm not too hot with computers so i'm not sure what specs you might need to solve the problem but here are a few:

RAM: 512 MB
Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce FX 5200

I'm not really sure what else is needed but I can find out... Also, I attached the redundant screenshot for what it's worth.

P.S. Graphics drivers are up to date.

Attachments

• screenie.JPG
    screenie.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 138
After playing around I found that forcing it to run with an older version of DirectX seems to fix the problem.

"-dxlevel 81" worked for me.

Back