Horrible lag for no apparent reason

lordbotulor

Reaction score
I used to play Counter-Strike Source and HL2 Deathmatch often, usually on local servers with a ping of about 30-70. At that point, nothing seemed terribly laggy. After not playing the game for a few weeks, I decided to play. However, whenever i join a game, even if i have the lowest ping in the server (around 30-40), I get horrible lag, and i cant see anybody because they jump around on the screen (although i'd bet they could see me, as they did not have any difficulty in killing me). I was wondering if this is a result of a recent update or something, or if anyone else has experienced a similar problem. I tried reinstalling, but that has not worked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

do you have any anti-virus or anti-spyware software installed on your computer that's running during gameplay? I know that when AVG Anti-Virus is doing a scan during gameplay...it's really choppy.

might wanna check yourself out for spyware too. something like Spybot Search & Distroy works a treat.

Check what else is running when you start the game. Virus checkers, firewalls, anything that might slow it down. Might be something youve installed recently.

If you share your connection with any other computers you might wanna see what they are doing too. I usually have to yell at my dad to get him to stop his bittorrent downloads :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Well, I regularly check for spyware, so i don't think that's the problem. Also, I use Norton Antivirus, but I never have it running in the background, or in the system tray. My brother is using the internet some of the time, but I turned off his computer, and the game was still laggy, so I dont think it was that. I do have a hardware firewall, on a router, so that may be a problem, although it has been there since i started playing, and i had no bad lag like this...

Hmm CS:S seems to have a problem with firewalls, I can't play it without horrible lag with ZoneAlarm running so I have to shut that down.

Also, while in the game, type in the console "cl_smooth 0" :)

Hope this helps :D

Have you checked what internet connection setting your Steam is on? I set mine, but after the bot update, it reset again and I was getting terrible lag from steam thinking I was a 56k modem - Not funny.

Have a check on there.

HOLY SHIT, THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS GUYS. Sorry, im just excited having found out that Steam was set on 14.4k modem settings... Thanks once again for the help.

lordbotulor said:
HOLY SHIT, THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS GUYS. Sorry, im just excited having found out that Steam was set on 14.4k modem settings... Thanks once again for the help.
Hehe, no problem :). Glad I could help actually.

Have fun playing CSS, and come on our server sometime.
-Dekstar

No idea what it's actually meant to do, but if your getting weird lag, like jumping about every 5 seconds - cl_smooth 0 pretty much sorts it out. :)

JiMmEh said:
Hmm CS:S seems to have a problem with firewalls, I can't play it without horrible lag with ZoneAlarm running so I have to shut that down.

Also, while in the game, type in the console "cl_smooth 0" :)

Hope this helps :D

dekstar said:
Have you checked what internet connection setting your Steam is on? I set mine, but after the bot update, it reset again and I was getting terrible lag from steam thinking I was a 56k modem - Not funny.

:sniper: I have turned off my Firewall, Nortan Anti-Virus, typed in "cl_smooth 0", & checked my internet connection setting in Steam. Same old stuff...HIGH PING!!! :flame: :rolling:

Any more suggestions?! This only happened after the "New Update". If this is the latest & greatest, give me back the OLD ONE!!! :angry: :eek:

What's your internet connection speed?
Also, what general area servers are you trying to connect to? If you live in the UK, and try to connect to an Australian server, you're bound to get terrible Latency.

dekstar said:
What's your internet connection speed?
Also, what general area servers are you trying to connect to? If you live in the UK, and try to connect to an Australian server, you're bound to get terrible Latency.

I have Comcast Cable w/ a T3 connection. No Bandwith issues. I live in the US and am only trying to connect to East Coast Servers. My ping to the servers are from 15-30 ms. When I connect is when I start sing the lag. My pings shoot up to 300-600 ms. Thas only been since the "Update" to Source w/in the past 2 weeks. Prior to that, everything was fine. I have NOT installed anything new. I just ran Spybot & all is ok. I made sure that I disabled my Windows Firewall as well as turning off Norton all together....

I have noticed on some of the servers that I get onto, that I am not the only one having this issue... Any more suggestions?!

Are you just trying to play on high settings??? mabey someone switched them on you....

Back