How about a light-hearted RPG mod for a change of pace...

WaterMelon34

Vortigaunt
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe it would be possible to make a Zelda mod for HL2, I know it may sound stupid but think about it.

Have you ever thought about beating Ocarina of Time with about 6 other people (more than 10 would make it a huge mess)? I mean, I think personally it would be awesome to go searching for mini-games, side-quests, and heartpieces with a few other people. There would be a whole bunch of weapons, but not like Long Swords or Maces or Flails but some more mystical names and attributes to keep you interested like a normal weapon you could buy would be a Deity Sword (Destruction sword) but it would be one of those higher class weapons you could only find in Curiosity Shops or other "illegal" store.

One problem would be to actually save your inventory but it can't be too hard, just tweak HL2's save system to make it only save items you have for online play.

I would like to have a whole bunch of islands (as in series of maps chained together with some loading time like changing a level without leaving the server or making everyone else change to the same level) all set in the middle of a huge ocean with a tropical style, pirates, smugglers, the works. There would be dungeons, fairy caves, poe hunts, races, duels, all that stuff you'd have in a Zelda game.

There would also be trophies for beating certain dungeons or doing certain quests to make you stronger to be able to do more things like use a bow or a hookshot. So there would be a type of leveling but not exactly.

If you had all of the best things it wouldn't matter because there would be new islands to explore all the time and new things to get(updates).

I still didn't think of everything I probably would want but I'll stop here because I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time or actually doing something right.

Comments please. Thanks.

what about an rpg mod that has barney replaced by that guy who always followed you in ultima 7... the one with the crossbow...

thanks for the great idea :frown:

Yah, I think you're right though. I'm high on Zelda toxins.

Nevermind about this idea it's crap

Obviously I'm not around Zelda fans...

I'm doing something like this. The mod is called Malin, it doesnt have a site yet (more than www.malinmod.com ) but will soon (we just need to get some graphics done).

The mod is set on 4 islands (more places will be included but i cant talk about them since it will screw the storyline), and you will be able to do side-quests and stuff you wrote about.

Malin will be a single player, 3:rd person, light hearted RPG. More info later (or you can PM me about it and I'll tell you alittle more about it). :)

I'd actually like to see a light hearted mod similar to the Zelda series. However, theres no way you could get away with a Zelda mod without Nintendo stepping in.

I can change all of the names and looks as long as it has that Zelda feel.
I didn't think anyone would like my idea lol.

Hey majestic that sounds pretty cool. When will the site be up?

EDIT: Oh, it'll be up soon. Nevermind.

EatChildren said:
I'd actually like to see a light hearted mod similar to the Zelda series. However, theres no way you could get away with a Zelda mod without Nintendo stepping in.

(If you refer to my post)

It wont be any problems at all, Malin and Zelda dont have anything in common with each other. I used Zelda to give you a hint at what im doing.

Dont worry :)

Sorry about the double post. It won't let me edit.

Ive thought of some stuff for the mod. I also changed the name...

Mod name - Masks of Elements
Mod type - RPG
Multiplayer or Singleplayer? - Multiplayer

- There is no Link (you can't play as Link)

- Save only the items you carry (they also define your attributes (ex. Stone tunic gives you stronger defence))

- Many different islands (worlds) to explore

- Up to 8 people on a server

- Heart pieces

- Normal weapons you can buy, steal or find

- Extraordinary weapons you can buy, steal or find

- Different colored tunics for higher resistances and new abilities

- Different races to choose from

- Selectable classes and looks

- Mini-games

- Towns

- Side-quests

- Dungeons

- Mask system (Mask of Truth, Suns Mask, Moons Mask, Stone Mask) < type of leveling

- Dueling

- NPC's

- Monsters, characters, creatures, spirits, the works

- New islands, items, creatures on updates

- Light-hearted humour and style

- Competitions every once in a while like horse races, and ghost hunts

- The Zelda feeling

- Actually fun

- Website for community

- Guilds, clans, clubs

- Levels linked together to create worlds

- Tons of Masks that all manipulate your character (Water Mask makes your mana go up and allows you to breathe longer underwater)

- All set (Stone Mask, Stone Tunic, Stone Boots, etc.) masks comes from oracles (Mask of Truth comes from the oracle of purity, Liars Mask comes from the oracle of darkness, Fire Mask comes from the oracle of earth)

- Dungeons based on the elements (Temple of Darkness, Temple of Purity, Stone Temple, Fire Temple, Water Temple, etc.)

- Different accesories like boots, gloves, belts, and other things that you don't wear like a book

Ive had some ideas for something like this kicking around for a couple of weeks. But i plan on making it SinglePlayer, based in a large city (all i can say). :)

although this is most likely to be a solo project, to impliment coding, modelling and graphical skills may release it if its any good i suppose, should be pretty fun to develope ;)

It sounds interesting. What kind of interaction would there be between players aside from dueling?

Co-operating. They would help each other beat dungeons and there would be puzzles where atleast 2 people would need to do together. You would be able to sell an item for a certain amount of gold coins. You could also go to race tracks and race on horses or whatever there's to race.

WaterMelon34 said:
I was thinking maybe it would be possible to make a Zelda mod for HL2, I know it may sound stupid but think about it.

Have you ever thought about beating Ocarina of Time with about 6 other people (more than 10 would make it a huge mess)? I mean, I think personally it would be awesome to go searching for mini-games, side-quests, and heartpieces with a few other people. There would be a whole bunch of weapons, but not like Long Swords or Maces or Flails but some more mystical names and attributes to keep you interested like a normal weapon you could buy would be a Deity Sword (Destruction sword) but it would be one of those higher class weapons you could only find in Curiosity Shops or other "illegal" store.

One problem would be to actually save your inventory but it can't be too hard, just tweak HL2's save system to make it only save items you have for online play.

I would like to have a whole bunch of islands (as in series of maps chained together with some loading time like changing a level without leaving the server or making everyone else change to the same level) all set in the middle of a huge ocean with a tropical style, pirates, smugglers, the works. There would be dungeons, fairy caves, poe hunts, races, duels, all that stuff you'd have in a Zelda game.

There would also be trophies for beating certain dungeons or doing certain quests to make you stronger to be able to do more things like use a bow or a hookshot. So there would be a type of leveling but not exactly.

If you had all of the best things it wouldn't matter because there would be new islands to explore all the time and new things to get(updates).

I still didn't think of everything I probably would want but I'll stop here because I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time or actually doing something right.

Comments please. Thanks.

come to #HLMedieval .... we are changing our name soon/getting the site/domain up

basically it's a medieval themed mod with knights, horses, thieves, and wizards

not a lot i can tell you, it's rpg'ish and team based

dassbaba said:
come to #HLMedieval .... we are changing our name soon/getting the site/domain up

basically it's a medieval themed mod with knights, horses, thieves, and wizards

not a lot i can tell you, it's rpg'ish and team based

I thought it was Attack/Defend style?

Six Three said:
I thought it was Attack/Defend style?

confidential and like most mod plans should be, subject to change

and yes it is, it's complicated and once again confidential for a while

Back