How about the graphics?

New Graphics

• Love em

Votes: 199 92.6%
  • Hate em

Votes: 16 7.4%

• Total voters
If it looked realistic, it'd probably just be written off as a BF2 clone. With this new art style, TF2 looks like something original, fun and cool as ****.

I can't imagine how this is actually gonna play.

Cartoon characters are all based around emotion.

Unless they can somehow make the models change facial expression depending on the situation, then I doubt this'll be good :/

The graphics conceptually are amazing. Beautiful, even. But what will be most important is how they compliment the gameplay and how they move. We are all used to shooters looking stiff and industrial. This could change that. God willing, the game animates like it looks, with vibrant colors, exhaggerated explosions, and whimsical chaos. Can't wait.

Well said. With this new look comes new expectations.

I'll be interested to see how physics are used in TF2, and whether they'll play an important role in the gameplay. Other than this, I can't wait to see TF2 in motion or how well the maps compliment the player models.

Why do I have this mental image of some sort of acid trip where the colours are whacked up, and so are actions. I can just see myself throwing a grenade and the explosion is blocked out by massive capital letters screaming out "BANG!"... flying out in a comic-like fashion.

I can just see myself throwing a grenade and the explosion is blocked out by massive capital letters screaming out "BANG!"... flying out in a comic-like fashion.
That would be fantastic :D

Err... I personally hope it doesn't go to that extent.

Stylized, yes. But I don't want to feel like I'm playing GI Joe.

Err... I personally hope it doesn't go to that extent.

Agreed. I don't want another xiii.

TF2 doesn't look cell shaded either, at least from that pic. Simple and stylish.

TF2 doesn't look cell shaded either, at least from that pic. Simple and stylish.
Agreedx2. They seem to have created a great balance between cartoony and just plain awesome.

I love them.

At least we won't have any CS players stating that TFC is so unrealistic. It's not meant to be realistic, morons.

And the slightly funny models bring TF back to his Quake roots.

I love the new look. If they put enough effort into it tf2 might just be one of the best looking games ever. The fact that they are bundeling it with ep2 is a little disappointing though. I would rather have a trippleA-tf2 released alone for USD 40 than a singleA-tf2 bundled with ep2 for USD 20.

Ofcourse, Valve could be making it trippleA _and_ releasing for cheaps because of their success with the hl-franchise (16M units sold? my god) and the added financial boost from steam. That would be extremely un-capitalistic of them, though, so I kinda doubt it.

At any rate I am glad that they ditched the "realistic modern war"-theme they had going. I mean, it looked teh shiznitz back in 99, but we are in 06 now, and time has changed. The toonification of tf2 is definately for the better in my book.

.bog.

[edit]
Ofcourse, the good thing with this bundle is that it will make the game available to both fans of tf _and_ owners of ep2, most of which would probably never try tf2 if it wasn't bundled.
[/edit]

If it were like GI Joe, every weapon would fire a laser. Shotgun? Fires a laser. Rocket launcher? Fires a laser. Flame thrower? Fires a laser. Engy railgun? Fires a...well, that always fired a laser. And the lasers would be blue and red, respectively.

I love the new look. If they put enough effort into it tf2 might just be one of the best looking games ever. The fact that they are bundeling it with ep2 is a little disappointing though. I would rather have a trippleA-tf2 released alone for USD 40 than a singleA-tf2 bundled with ep2 for USD 20.

Ofcourse, Valve could be making it trippleA _and_ releasing for cheaps because of their success with the hl-franchise (16M units sold? my god) and the added financial boost from steam. That would be extremely un-capitalistic of them, though, so I kinda doubt it.

But... Valve's Back Catalog (lots of games back there) and Source games (before Episode One) up for only USD $60 is not capitalistic, too. Bear in mind that that bundle (the former Silver Pack) was up on Steam around HL2's release. I would say that that was a very un-capitalistic move by Valve. I mean, HL2 could sell for USD $60 alone. But it makes fans happy, so yay.

Graphics reminds me movie "The Incredibles":

incredibles.jpg

Of course, TF2 looks better :)

I really like the new graphics in TF2. They are similar to the film The Incredibles.

I don't think we have to worry - the pyro's flamethrower is spitting mean looking fire, not an orange blob with BURN!! printed in yellow letters on it

It looks like the style of game you would see on a nintendo system. For a military type fps I find it a bit obsurd. However, Im sure the nintendo fanboys and halo fans will love it.

Imo it belongs on the wii not pc with graphics like that.

Graphics reminds me movie "The Incredibles":

incredibles.jpg

Of course, TF2 looks better :)

i think they were heavily inspired by that, even the animation and music is remeniscent of that film. i think it looks great personally.

It looks like the style of game you would see on a nintendo system. For a military type fps I find it a bit obsurd. However, Im sure the nintendo fanboys and halo fans will love it.

Imo it belongs on the wii not pc with graphics like that
Yes, because PC games should only be allowed to look like this :sleep:

The TF scenario is absurd. Realistic military sim it isn't.
Embrace the silliness I say :D

Imo it belongs on the wii not pc with graphics like that.

well, it sounds like youd rather have another shit BF2 clone then. Don't even bother buying TF2 if you feel that way.
TF2 is not a hardcore lets-be-as-realistic-as-****ing-possible militart simulator. Its a game that is going for actual fun.

Smacks post should be completely ignored..... although Valve should put TF2 on the Wii to. Try and get 360, Pc, and Wii players to be all able to play togeather.

Do competitions! Wiimotes vs Mouse vs Analog Controller

Do competitions! Wiimotes vs Mouse vs Analog Controller

If everything was equal, there'd be no competition. Keyboard + Mouse is lightyears ahead of anything else for FPS gaming.

If everything was equal, there'd be no competition. Keyboard + Mouse is lightyears ahead of anything else for FPS gaming.

I wouldn't call it light years ahead....I would just say it works perfectly and it is what everyone is used to....

I think the Graphics style is awsome, this game will be awsome and have tons of laughs im sure.

I think it's great, looks a lot more fun than it would if "realistic" graphics.

It makes a nice change from the usual post-apocalyptic industrial warfare setting of TF games, I can hardly watch the trailers without laughing. If it's as fun as it looks, it'll be great.

I love the look of the game, makes me think that it will be focused almost exclusively on gameplay rather than realism. It reminds me of XIII, but more so if Oni, anybody remember that game? graphics were alright, but it was focused entirely on gameplay, and it remains one of my favorite games to date.

L-l-l-LOVING SPREE.

Uh, yeah. They're pretty cool.

V-Man's opinion on the graphics of Team Fortress 2

In my honest opinion I think that more games should look like this because, let's all be honest here, who hasn't had some part of the gameplay screw up on them to make something totally unbeleivable and funny happen?
I know for one thing that in real life if you shot a bazooka at a guys feet he'd probably half (or maybe all) of his limbs blown off, but in Day of Defeat Source they just fly through the air without a scratch on them other than a missing helmet. This shouldn't happen because Day of Defeat Source is the most realistic and technologically advanced Source engine game out on the market to date, and they were going for the realistic look.

Let's look at Team Fortress 2.
They know before hand that the original game was ridiculously unbeleivable in physics. For instance most people use "rocket jumps" (if you don't know what that is look it up) to get around. I can promise you that this would never happen in real life.
Because of this Valve decided to go with that ridiculous theme and use it to their advantage and make the entire game like a cartoon, and look at how many votes are in the love it section.

I rest my case.

P.s.
If you don't like the graphics just stick with Fortress Forever you un-fanly fanboy.

I love em. Initially I did not care for them, but that did not last too long. I am quite happy with the direction that Valve is taking this game. Can't wait to play it !

Back