How did you handle White Forest (spoilers)

I hooked my A-Wing tow cable into their hulls, then I flew around it several times, wrapping up their legs so they tripped and fell down. :)

Actually, i just used the logs and the grav gun to take out the hunters. At close range you can hit them 3 times really quick, take them down, then deal with the strider.

Would be a cool scripted sequence in Ep3 to see two rebels hiding some sort of combine cable under some forest leaves and pulling it up to trip a strider or hunter...

And then get dragged about by the much heavier strider? Return of the Jedi showed why that is a very bad idea.

Running over the Hunters was fun, maybe a little too easy. I was having trouble with them until then especially at the end where you've umpteen Striders coming at you at once. The way they learnt to dodge out the way was great. I had no problems with the Magnusson's I used only one bomb per strider and I think I only missed once. The fact that the Striders don't seem to be interested in you made it that part at least a piece of cake. The problem was with the Hunters I had to take them out first or they'd shoot down every bomb before it even reached the target. I was driving around fairly frantically trying to find some Magnusson's from a shelter that hadn't been taken out yet. Good fun.

I can't wait for Ep 3. Riding in a chopper sounds fun. I wonder if we'll actually get to fight in it or whether it'll just be scripted action till we get to the Borealis?

Who said hunters were supposed to be more challenging than every other single npc in the game?

So far everyone appears to think so.

They're just highly mobile and though scouting units.

And they can bitch-slap you at close range :(

It was a really fun battle.

The easiest way to go is to just run over the Hunters and pop the Stiders (once they're close enough to the silo they won't care about you anymore).
I think it's critical to not lose the Sawmill when the second strider attacks. Considering all attacks are launched from that end of the playing field, you have to drive around like crazy to get Magnusons from any other building. Though you do usually have to return somewhere else to get some health.
I lost the sawmill in the first attack, it wasn't a big deal. Although I had to drive around quite a bit in order to find new devices.
I can't wait for Ep 3. Riding in a chopper sounds fun.
The chopper got pretty messed up by the advisors, I doubt it'll fly again without a repair.

Ok, so not 'critical', it just makes the level a hell of a lot easier to keep the sawmill protected.

The chopper got pretty messed up by the advisors, I doubt it'll fly again without a repair.
I never said that :O

tht part was unbelievable it was like a nightmare, striders + hunters= pain in the ass, but the car seems to kill those one eyed 3 legged bastards, and the great "magnuson" bombs do the trick

PS: Never try killing a hunter wit a crow bar or ull be flyin to japan

And then get dragged about by the much heavier strider? Return of the Jedi showed why that is a very bad idea.

They don't have to be holding it themselves. Plus striders have no feet, and don't look to be the most stable thing out there on one leg.

I hooked my A-Wing tow cable into their hulls, then I flew around it several times, wrapping up their legs so they tripped and fell down. :)

Actually, i just used the logs and the grav gun to take out the hunters. At close range you can hit them 3 times really quick, take them down, then deal with the strider.

This post fails. A-Wings aren't equipped with Tow Cables.

tht part was unbelievable it was like a nightmare, striders + hunters= pain in the ass, but the car seems to kill those one eyed 3 legged bastards, and the great "magnuson" bombs do the trick

PS: Never try killing a hunter wit a crow bar or ull be flyin to japan

Gee thanks! You could have told me earlier..now I have to go to White Forest from Japan..

I only realized the hitting the hunters with the car trick when I was low in all ammo. I did not expect that to be that many of them in that stage, so I tried to kill the hunters during the first few striders with all the luxury of RPG and shotgun. And that stage has become my most frustrated one in all my HL2 experience.

I completed the whole thing on hard using nothing but the gravity gun and the shotgun. I mostly killed hunters by roadkilling them to death.

Easy. Save, fire the Magnusson, if you miss, load the save file, repeat.

I just found out I posted in a thread that's older than me. I feel like an archaeologist.

I used the AR3 a lot against the hunters before going after the striders with my fists of furry :p

I didn't realize you could hit them with the car til one of my friends mentioned it.

Don't people look at posting dates any more? It annoys me when people bump threads without real reason. :hmph:

And yes, I am aware of the irony that I am bumping this to post a complaint about thread bumping. But It's not been severely bumped, that is the difference.

I made a point of taking out the last strider with my RPG.

I threw rocks at the striders as the destroyed the silo, again and again they said.

Just means you don't have two threads with the same topic in mind ;)

But if the old thread has already been forgotten then it makes no odds. It doesn't matter if they make another one then. I'd personally prefer that to threads being bumped.

Back