How Difficult is MAking Mods... and what is involved?

coolUK007

Reaction score
Hi, althoguh i have been playing 3D games since Wolfenstein 3d, i never really looked into making Mods...... Until now.

What is involved in making one? I would really like to make my own mod, just a map with a few streets, and maybe some new character models. I will probably take phtos of texures to use of buildings etc......

I see people needing programmers what they used for?

Looking at most mods, seems as if it takes a lot of time and effort, with teams of people working together.. do you think i could possibly make one on my own?

If you could also tell me the different things one needs to know. IE modelling? USing 3d packages? If so what?

I am going to be starting a Computer science degree in Oct, will anything in that course be good in relation to mod making?

Thanx for your help!

I've worked through many mods (mostly Unreal Warfare engine ones) and its pretty much a painstaking process where an aiming system is a galore and a new model a happy surprise.
When making mods, we have to constantly think of creating something new, something exciting and looks good. Something that would be thought of as fun.

Managing the team is the hardest part, without proper leadership, nothing can be done and the mod would lead to nowhere. models and maps take weeks to finish sometimes. The team's morale has to be up, or they won't bother working. The website also makes an impression of what the mod would be like, and a good choice is always to stay away from black on your main site except as a background (although there are still negative thoughts when it is used as a background)

Media always has to be updated thoroughly.

Saying that "o this is just an alpha" or "unfinished work" is total BS, and provides nothing and ends up getting the mod nowhere. Us mods have to provide something full and something thats catching to the eye.

These are basically some of the basic steps that mods gotta go through and to ensure stability in the mod. Its a painstaking process, but if we succeed, then thats our reward...and we'll know we did something right.

What is involved in making one? I would really like to make my own mod, just a map with a few streets, and maybe some new character models. I will probably take phtos of texures to use of buildings etc......

You need good leadership, and media to hire those folks in your mod. Showing unfinished work is ok on forums, but not ok on gaming news sites. Best to advertise good ideas, and you'll see members roll on in.

I see people needing programmers what they used for?

Without programmers, models, sounds would have nowhere to go. They basically form the basis of the mod; getting everything in (except maps). They're the ones who make new aiming systems, adds new features, adds particles, adds the gameplay, adds the weapons. They're one of the main important roles in making a mod. Its hard to find them or get them to work for your mod, but not impossible.

Looking at most mods, seems as if it takes a lot of time and effort, with teams of people working together.. do you think i could possibly make one on my own?

Yep, its a hard process. If your team works well and you don't have any slackers, then it'll turn out a ok. If you can get a team and get everyone to work together well.

If you could also tell me the different things one needs to know. IE modelling? USing 3d packages? If so what?

You can learn any skill you want. If you love eye candy, then 3d modeling and 2d texturing is the way to go. If you like maps, then mapping. If you wanna add unique stuff into a game, then its coding. Just remember, you cant' be a leader without any skill, it'll most likely end up that the other members will vote you off the team.

I am going to be starting a Computer science degree in Oct, will anything in that course be good in relation to mod making?

Since that can lead you to programming, webmaster, etc, it helps your mod.

Back