How do I enable Parallax Mapping?

Tyl3n0L

Reaction score
Hello there,

How Do I enable Parallax Mapping in CS:S. If you look at the Stress Test result file in the \cstrike\results folder it says:

"EnableParallaxMapping" "0"

I know there is a command to enable it in the console but I can't remember it.

try mat_parallax or something if those other ones dont work.
if its not a mat_blah command it'll be an r_blah command.

So when I get CS:S I have to enable it if I want it?
Why wouldn't it be enabled?

Screens

These are great differential screenshots whoeing what parallax mapping is. These are from Doom3. However it should do practically the same thing in Source.

Attachments

• 29475_1.jpg
    29475_1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 905
  • 29475_2.jpg
    29475_2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 905
  • 29475_3.jpg
    29475_3.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,006
TheEdge|Jinx said:
These are great differential screenshots whoeing what parallax mapping is. These are from Doom3. However it should do practically the same thing in Source.
how do ya do it in d3?

The D3 method isn't proper parallax mapping, just a neat trick someone did with the maps/shaders that gets it almost like it, does look nice in game but its a very subtle effect.

nope, i cant see one bit of difference

strange commands:
mat_normalmap (says no cheats are allowed if u try 2 enable it)
Mat_normal (ditto)
Mat_norenderer (if set to one completely messes and freezes the game up.)

i think if it will work it will kill performance pretty much

Milo 7 said:
i think if it will work it will kill performance pretty much
When I got it for D3, it didnt make a bit of a difference in preformance, but it looked great.

For those who don't see a difference, you must have AA on, VSync on, and a high brightness, at least, this is how I saw it, and wow, I was astonished.

yeah - paste some screens!

is parallax mapping a dx9 only effecT?

DirtyApe said:
you sir are blind...check the first page of this thread.

I think he means screens of Counter-Strike: Source comparing Parallax mapping to non-parallax mapping.

I just tested it on some de_dust walls using the flashlight... it kinda looks like it's already there without it enabled... and enabling it does absolutely nothing... I tried taking off bumpmapping too just for kicks... WOW, that makes a difference. :O

I took a few pics on office with it on and off, but when I compared them, I could honestly see no difference, so couldnt be arsed to host them.

RipperRoo said:
I took a few pics on office with it on and off, but when I compared them, I could honestly see no difference, so couldnt be arsed to host them.

Thats propably, because it doesnt work. I tried it too and didnt see any diffrence.

well that was dissapointing.

*Goes off to play Doom3*

As far as I know, it's not possible to enable it on-the-fly, you have to restart the game first.

Ultimape said:
isn't a paralax map a diffrent texture?

It is, well, you also need a grayscale heightmap.

About parallax mapping:

Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 1:18 PM
To: Yahn Bernier
Subject: RE: Parallax mapping

Parallax mapping isn't supported. I'm not sure if/when we are going to support it. HDR will be supported in a future update.

Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 1:16 PM
To: Gary McTaggart
Subject: FW: Parallax mapping

Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 12:49 PM
To: Yahn Bernier
Subject: Parallax mapping

Hi Yahn,

Don't know who to send this to, sorry if you're the wrong guy for this =)

I had a question about parallax maps on Source. Is this at the moment possible to do? Obviously, there is the command 'mat_parallaxmap 1', but that doesn't do anything on itself (at least it seems) but now I've found a texture called concrete/concretefloor19a which has a VMT which refers to a parallaxmap (a heightmap) with:

"$parallaxmap" "concrete\concretefloor019a_height"
"$parallaxmapscale" ".1035"

That texture doesn't exist, so I tried making it, a simple grayscale heightmap. But it did nothing in game (of course, the texture worked, normal mapped too), are there some kind of parameters you need to set in a txt file like with normal maps ("normal" "1") when you compile the tga to vtf? Or is it simply not enabled at the current time?

Would be great if you could resolve this issue for me. Thanks in advance.

Good luck with Valve's future products!

PS: Are there any plans to enable HDR rendering in a future update?

Back