How do I get it to work

M

Makalazito

I really need to know how to get Half Life 2 to work without getting on steam. Every time I try to play I am automatically sent to my steam account. How do I avoid this. P.S I tried to activate the game on Steam, but it said my cd key was already activated with someone else. HELP ME, PLEASE!

You can't. Half- Life 2 runs on steam. Says so right on the box. Cd- Key already active on your account? 1.) Means you bought a pre-owned game.
2.) you gave the game to another person
3.) you illegal recieved the game.

If you bought a pre-owned game you should return it to the store.

Preposterous!

What, my friends brother got to work without steam, We cant reach him, and if we could we wouldn't be in this predicament. I dont know what he did exactly, but he said to us he didn't register! There has to be a way

than he got the illegal version i guess...
run the goverment is coming !

Indeed, the versions that run without Steam are illegal. You can't run the legal version withouts Steam unless you rip it quite apart.

The sad thing is, it's also conceivable to legally buy the game and have your CD key taken, in case someone at the store wrote it down and used it for himself.

Best bet (assuming you got the version of hl2 legally) is taking it back to the store and complaining i suppose, however if you got it brand new and opened it already which it sounds like you have, then there is f*** all you can do about it unfortunatly.

Makalazito said:
AAAHHHHHHHHHHH! I'm GOING FOR THE HILLS!

No, when the water is coming is when you go for the hills when government is coming you go for the airport.

Barney Fife said:
No, when the water is coming is when you go for the hills when government is coming you go for the airport.

No, no, no! For Angry Lawyer stalks the airport!

Then I would suggest he heads for the railways. Avoid stations eight and twelve though.

or people could start offering helpful suggestions rather then simply spamming the thread ?

Drackard said:
...however if you got it brand new and opened it already which it sounds like you have, then there is f*** all you can do about it unfortunatly.

A common misconception. The thing to remember is that there are legal requirements regarding exchanges and refunds. In a nutshell, if something does not work, the place that sold it to you have to exchange it for the same or similar product, or if they cannot, then they must refund the money to you. This is regardless of the packaging, in fact, you do not even need the packaging as long as you have the actual product

Its only if the product is not faulty that you would want to keep the packaging, as the company is under no obligation to replace or refund a non-faulty product.

If the CD Key does not work, it counts as a faulty product, so you can exchange it. However, taking it back to i_crack_warez_and_get_virii.com will probobly not work, so the thread starter may be out of luck :)

Makalazito said:
What, my friends brother got to work without steam, We cant reach him, and if we could we wouldn't be in this predicament. I dont know what he did exactly, but he said to us he didn't register! There has to be a way
It's the illegal version that does not run on steam. People download it. You can't play it online usually though.

Link said:
A common misconception. The thing to remember is that there are legal requirements regarding exchanges and refunds. In a nutshell, if something does not work, the place that sold it to you have to exchange it for the same or similar product, or if they cannot, then they must refund the money to you. This is regardless of the packaging, in fact, you do not even need the packaging as long as you have the actual product

Its only if the product is not faulty that you would want to keep the packaging, as the company is under no obligation to replace or refund a non-faulty product.

If the CD Key does not work, it counts as a faulty product, so you can exchange it. However, taking it back to i_crack_warez_and_get_virii.com will probobly not work, so the thread starter may be out of luck :)

how would the store know that the cd key dosent work? hmmmm

giant384 said:

Good Question.
Stores usually will take back a defective game and swipe with the same item. But under any circumstances you do not want to buy a used game specially HL2 and specially if your intention is to play online.
You do not have to have HL2 CD in the drive to play. Every times you want to play HL2 steam will launch it for you, validate it for you, connect you to the halflife account. One can take the game resale it but keep the actual game in the PC and play since you don't need HL2 CD to play.

giant384 said:

Thats is the stores problem, either they can contact valve and check, or take your word for it. Up to them.

Barney Fife - True, though again, it won't work, so you would be required to refund the guy, or go buy him a working copy. And even if he didn't come back to you, if he went through valve and verified it as his CD key, it would be removed from your account, so you would lose money unless you sold it to him at retail price.

Back