How do I import Halflife 2 Models

Reaction score
Im making a CS:S map, but Im running out of a variety with stuff like trees or bushes (only one model for a bush). Is there a way to import Halflife 2 Models and perhaps even HL2 textures for use with CS:S maps?

you could copy them from the half-life 2 folders but that would mean that everyone playing your map would have to do the same

batchetska said:
you could copy them from the half-life 2 folders but that would mean that everyone playing your map would have to do the same
Doesnt they only have to download his finished map?

good question... theres a lot of good stuff in the hl2 folders :)

anyone know?

I think that all of the HL2 content is locked in those .gcf files. I would really, really like to use some HL2 models and textures in my CSS map. I know there are alot of talented hammer editors out there who read these forums. Please, someone must know how to do this.

I would love to hear darkelf's thoughts on this. He seems to be the wiser right now.

People are going to keep asking this question I guarantee it. Maybe this deserves a sticky when answered

I have GCF scape as well. However, Im not sure if I import models that any player of my map would have to do the same or not.

Triggerhappy41 said:
I have GCF scape as well. However, Im not sure if I import models that any player of my map would have to do the same or not.

you would have to distribute your map with the related models etc, everything that was non standard would need to go with your map. Eg's are around now..

an example map distro would be like this..
HL2\
...Maps\
- ...mymap.bsp
...Textures\
- ...tex1
- ...tex2
...Models\
- ...model1
- ...model2

(ignore the "-"... stupid layout glitch ;))

Thanks for the info guys. the link to GCF scape is down though. Can anyone host it or e-mail ([email protected])it to me? I promise that I will make a kickass map for all to play. Thanks.

wait so bliink do you mean that the models would be in the bsp file itself? Or just people have to download them with the map as a package, put them in the correct places, and run it?

Back