How do I install HL2 on downstairs PC?

Apollo 13

Reaction score
Can I do it this way.....hook up my cable modem to downstairs PC and download Steam and sign in with my name, then download HL2?
I noticed that I can play HL2 in offline mode on my upstairs PC, so I should be able to do it with the other PC right?

1) Unless you have them networked no need to drag the modem downstairs, you could just copy the hl2 from the upstairs after you install steam.
2) And yeah your way would work, but i would just copy the stuff from the pc upstairs, saves you downloading the 4.*GB's again.

Cheerios,
Rad

install steam downstairs, share the folder (right click>properties>sharing) go upstairs go into the steam folder (C:>progfiles>valve/steam) find the hl2 folder, drag and drop it into the shared valve folder.

what mega said.

but it will only work if you have a network setup at your place.

p.s. if you do have a network setup, all the network shares will be under the network neighbourhood under your workgroup.

alternatively you can just brun the files on the a DVD in you have one, copy them onto a protable hdd... the list is endless.

just tell us what you have and well give ya a hand

don't have a network. I have DVD-Rs and a DVD drive. I will install steam on downstairs PC, but how do I get the files on a DVD? and when I do get them on DVD where to I put the files?

Burn them with Nero or whatever you use to burn DVDs, basicaly you would want to make a backup of the entire Steam folder under the Valve folder (by default) .. once thats done just copy them back off the DVD on the PC downstairs to the Steam folder.

So can I right click the steam folder and compress it to make it fit on DVD? because my steam folder is 5.66GB.

I think you'll need two IP addresses and two accounts to play against the other computer though...you'll only be able to play on your home network one computer at a time.

just make sure you copy it all and dont compress the acctual steam folder ... you only really need some of the gcf's in the steamapps folder under the steam folder have a look.

steam uses the gcf's and extracts the game content to /steam/steamapps/username/gamename have a look there, you might just be able to copy the hl2 in that folder and see i it will run after you installed steam on the pc downstairs

just ake sure you copy the steam files as well other wise steam will not see the hl2 files that you have just copied ...

Sickmind .. he doesnt even have a network. so it doesnt apply here.
and he could still have a LAN game regardless

The problem is I can't copy the steam folder because it won't fit on DVD because it's 5.66GB. I need to know which files I can delete so I can copy on DVD.

ok 5.66GB .. what other gamse you have off steam?
like i said keep it all but the /steam/steamapps/<username apollo 13 for example>/<gamename>
because once you copy the reguired GCF's steam will extract them again

you can just split the folder and make 2 DVD's also

use winrar or equivalent and split the rar file .. done

I have HL2, HL, HL:S and counterstrike source. If there is a way to erase them let me know.

You can safely trash the Directory with the games under /steamapps/<your prfile>

And keep all the GFC's as thats all you need after you install steam downstairs, if you dont need the other games (tho i suggest you keep them) you can delete them once logged into steam by right clicking the game and chosing the "delete local content" option ..

But like i said ... just download winRar if you dont have it allready and just compress the steam folder ( Winrar has an option to split the file after a certain size .. like 4.37 so the first half will fit on the DVD)
WinRar
http://www.rarlab.com/

Cheerios,
Rad

So if you use the steam file backup thingee, it'll just use 2 dvds. I think that would be easier than compressing w/ winrar.

I deleted my games by going to properties in the my games section now I have enought room to fit it on DVD.

all you had to do was go to your play games list under steam, right click on the game you want like hl2 then click backup game files and it will ask you if you want to split the files to dvd or cd then it makes the backup files in your steam folder under backup and it also makes a nifty exe so that all you do is double click on the exe backup and it automatically downloads the gcf files to the right folder on your pc and there your game is backed up just save the exe to a dvd and now you have the retail version of the game on dvd. Hhaha retail suckers.

Back