how do i keep faces in detail

mad max 6

Reaction score
when your up close the faces are very detailed, but as you move away they get less detailed. is there a way to stop this, mabey in the cfg file?
thanks

well the further away from someone you are the smaller her/his face gets, and the smaller the face gets, the lower the resolution of the face, and the lower the resolution of the face the less detailed it is.

mad max 6 said:
when your up close the faces are very detailed, but as you move away they get less detailed. is there a way to stop this, mabey in the cfg file?
thanks
Buy a better graphics card?
EDIT: I think he's referring to faces becoming fuzzy if you move away from them, not exactly realistic.

its called level of detail and if hl2 didnt use it, youd probably get about 1fps even on a 6800gt

Cons Himself said:
its called level of detail and if hl2 didnt use it, youd probably get about 1fps even on a 6800gt
I have a 6800 and the faces never get fuzzy. :)

ye 16x too, i think iv got lod diabled in the cfg file. lod_Enable "0"
but they still get fuzzy

Lol, first time I read title of this thread I read "How do I keep feces in detail" :p

its actually faeces, but yeah thats quite funny :D

in that case, if you have lod turned off, the faces get fuzzy not because of bottlenecks on your PC, but because of a bottleneck on the number of pixels on your monitor :D

imagine at close range you are displaying the rendere face on say, 10,000 pixels, but then at long range you are displaying it on 100 pixels...youre never going to get the same level of detail displayed :)

Well I have cataracts in my eyes so Things DO get fuzy if I move away from them.

Dude.....joking (delivered it wrong) but thanx for caring that someone has cataracts.

mad max 6 said:
ye 16x too, i think iv got lod diabled in the cfg file. lod_Enable "0"
but they still get fuzzy
lod ???
could some one explain please ^^

level of detail means the models in the game world get less detailed the further away you are from them.

r_lod 0
(default = -1)
this tells what level of detail it should render, 0 means always render best detail... it stops it from bluring!! (-1 = dynamic)

You might want to try this tweak guide for CS:S.

It says that r_lod shoud be at -5.

Then again, I'm a total newb at this and these commands might only work for CS:S.

It's worth a shot though.

with r_lod at 0, the model is always at highest settings from the looks of it, they don't change at all even from halfway across the map and walking toward the.

model may be at highest settings but it wont be displayed that way due to monitor resolution restrictions...

Back