How do you do "alveolar trill" and "uvular trill"?

bbson john

Tank
Reaction score
Where should I put my tongue? And how can these two consonants be actually made out? And when I do uvular trill for several times, my throat is a bit hurt. :(

With a paper bag over your head.

Actually I have absolutely no idea what aleveolar trill is and uvular trill without looking it up. Is that bad?

What is it? Trill is something in music or communications(language) that I know.

Is that the same as the spanish language, when they roll their R's? I do it by curling the end of my tongue up to the roof of my mouth at the front near the top row of my teeth, and blowing out. The way I blow out is by having my lips slightly pursed, but not puckered. Then once the air is coming out around my tongue and sending it vibrating, I tweak the sound with my vocal chords.

I'm sure someone else can explain it better, if I even know what you mean. I don't know if the rolling R's is the same.

EDIT:can't look at the sound files. and my sound is fubared at the moment.

When I do it, my tonque only fall dow to my lower jaw and no vibration take place.

How large do your mouth opened?

When I do it, my tonque only fall dow to my lower jaw and no vibration take place.

How large do your mouth opened?

Actually I realize it's not so much the lips, but the teeth that need to be relatively close. Also, I made a mistake, don't move the tongue first, use it to tweak the vibration once you are blowing air around your tongue.

Is that the thing you were talking about though? The rolling R's in spanish?

When I first read your post I thought it was a sexual kissing technique or something.

I was never able do this :(
Still can't...

*tries*

DRRRRRRRLLLL...

RRLLLRRLRR...

RLRLLLRRRAAAAAAWR I CAN'T DO IT! D:

When I first read your post I thought it was a sexual kissing technique or something.

oral sex techique.

No, of course not.

p.s. Alveolar trill is the "rr" sound in Spanish. And normal r in French (I quess). Tried rrrrr for several hundreds times, I find myself a bit dizzy.

Well whatever.. I can only do the one with my throat. I've tried days and nigts to do it with my tongue but I just can't do it...

LATE EDIT: Goddamnit I just figured this is my 2000th post.

Me too, or either. I think the throat one is uvular thrill, which makes your thoart painful and stimulates the secretion of phlegm.

I'd like to think so, yes.

edit: ?!?!? what the hell is this?

Me too, or either. I think the throat one is uvular thrill, which makes your thoart painful and stimulates the secretion of phlegm.
That's correct, if the uvular is the French - it really needs to come from the back of your throat, while the alveolar is from the tongue. Some people just need to practice them, while others can just do it straight off. Guess I'm lucky :p

Back