How do you think HL2 will have changed?

BlazeKun

Spy
Reaction score
OK all these threads questioning what HL2 was like last may are getting on my nerves. What kind of changes do you think HL2 will have made in nearly a YEAR after the vids were released? They haven't been sitting on their asses, and with all this extra time they've most likely done a LOT. So what kinda changes do you think we will see?

I am hopeful that there is a more random glass breakage effect. Every window that was the same size in the vids had the exact same breakage.

I don't think they'll be many changes to the engine itself so don't expect any fancy glass effects.

I think just the single player will be honed into a nicer experience, and there would be less bugs. It's the last part of development, they wouldn't be making any major changes.

It is an interesting question given Valve knows how their restart of HL1 was what changed it from a B-grade shooter into a GoTY and made their company a success in the first place. In this case it won't be a restart obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few features that were put on the back-burner make it in for next year... Though we can be reasonably certain that 95% of the dev time will be spent re-coding anything that was even remotely compromised by the stolen build, as well as finishing up the game, polishing and bug-fixing. It'll probably be a better game because of it. :)

Main changes would be code changes so you cant hack and stuff... thats it... and what ever they were trying to do when they delayed it.

I think they're redesigning it to be an RTS with some RPG elements, set in a fictive universe where the Borg has invaded Middle Earth, and cybernetic dinosaurs plague the world. You take the role of a US Marine on a quest to find the Allmighty Snail Stick + 10 to throw into Vesuvius, and thus vanquish all evil. Along with you is several Jedi masters, an elite squad from the Foreign Legion, a pink dragon scared of everything and a hamster named Boo.

I hope so. There are too many FPS games. That whole alien thing is way too far-fetched, anyway... and an athletic scientist? Hah!

probably just alot of polishing of things like textures and fixing bugs and playtesting and more playtesting and even more playtesting.. maybe they are working on multiplayer stuff..

They've probably fixed the MP5\MP7 visual bug, added more car models (bc on the vids there are only lk 2 or 3) and put some more window break animations sc there were only 1 on the vids.

dawdler said:
I think they're redesigning it to be an RTS with some RPG elements, set in a fictive universe where the Borg has invaded Middle Earth, and cybernetic dinosaurs plague the world. You take the role of a US Marine on a quest to find the Allmighty Snail Stick + 10 to throw into Vesuvius, and thus vanquish all evil. Along with you is several Jedi masters, an elite squad from the Foreign Legion, a pink dragon scared of everything and a hamster named Boo.

Uh, duuuuuuuuh :thumbs: :rolling:

Sprafa said:
They've probably fixed the MP5\MP7 visual bug, added more car models (bc on the vids there are only lk 2 or 3) and put some more window break animations sc there were only 1 on the vids.
I would hope those were fixed long before now... and just because there were only a couple in the short videos (which is probably enough as I didn't even notice... heh) doesn't mean that's all there is/was...

The car models are a too few and I think that in the game you would probably notice since you would see the same cars (and even persons since the Resistance all looks alike) again and again and many games hv bad reviews because of issues lk that.*cough*TC-Streets of LA*cough*

dawdler said:

Welcome to E3 2003 n00b, thanks for stating the obvious.

nothing will be changed since they had not completed HL2 by the last 30th September. When it is released it will exactly look like it would have been when released a few months ago... ok, just maybe a bug fix here and there and some more optimizations...

I'm hoping that they have introduced a more advanced ripple effect in the game. For example, a large object such as a dead body comes crashing down into a body of water, making the water ripple by affecting the way light is relecting back. Or having material that is similar the soccer goal post netting (i.e. create a mod that allows you to play soccer with your manipulator and a chair). I am hoping that, with the material properties, you can destroy half a building with a rocket, without needing breakpoints or some sort of scripted sequence (You can destroy material, but i haven't yet seen it on the scale of destroying half a building).

just a guess, but i'll say graphical polish... and lots of it... i'm thinking this, because in the tech demo (was it the last vid released?? showing source and dx9 stuff... like that antlion guard on the roof....??) there were some jaw dropping effects... and the e3 vids just didn't seem nearly as graphically awe-inspiring... i mean... that tech demo thingy is the only vid that i actually saved... (btw, i'm not entirely sure it was called "tech demo" it's the one where they show reflections on roofs... umm the antlion guard... the two disco ball looking things, one ripply one like a mirror...) so yeah, in a nutshell, i would say adding those touches... i mean... isn't that one of the later steps in all game design?

I'd be expecting that there has been a lot of polishing going on, maybe some texture updates and model tweaks. They probably have been trimming off any excess in the code also. The point of perfection constantly shifts through time.

Kadayi Polokov said:
I'd be expecting that there has been a lot of polishing going on, maybe some texture updates and model tweaks. They probably have been trimming off any excess in the code also. The point of perfection constantly shifts through time.
I say that and bug fixes.

I hope they made buildings look more like buildings and not walls with building textures on them :) lol

i hope they've added a few new things, but i'd say they've mainly been making repairs since the theft, and fixing what stuff they had to fix before release... I'm sure things are coming back on schedule for them. I just hope they added some new car models! (maybe even hands while you drive?)

EDIT: hehe i am teh antlion guard!

Back