How important is the FSB?

C

Curl

My intel p4 2ghz has only 100fsb. I've heard of up to 1000fsb, is my computer really that lame?

1000 fsb is news to me

and yes, it is that lame ;)

Noooo! i know people at this forum will kick my ass for asking this but...

Will i be able to play at max or atleast very good qualety?
Plz dont kill me for this.

OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!
/me gets the shotgun
GRRRR.... huh
/me looks at post again
well.... he said please....
/me puts down gun
/me pats curl on the head
...ask god child, because none of us have the game to try it out

This important component is essential to speedy PC performance. In essence, the bus is a pathway over which data travels between various internal system components. The front-side bus (FSB) is the segment of the system bus that carries data between RAM and the CPU; it generally has the greatest effect on overall benchmark performance. A system with high-performance processors and other components should also have a fast front-side bus. The budget Athlon XP, for example, is paired with a 266MHz or 333MHz FSB, while the faster Pentium 4 uses either a 400MHz or 533MHz or 800MHz system bus. In practice, the FSB will be an issue with only hard-core applications, such as digital video.

this is taken from CNET because i am too tired to type it out myself.

its very important.

my p4 rig is running at 1000 FSB (200X4 for the 800MHZ + 50mhz overclock [250X4=1000])

I also have a 2.4c@ 3.0/1000FSB. Your CPU is an old northwood "A" CPU, with a 400FSB. The "B" P4 CPUs have 533FSB. The "C" P4 CPU has an 800FSB. All of intels FSB's are quad pumped, so really the A is 100mhz, B 133mhz, and C is 200mhz. The C P4's are fairly overclockable, ESPECIALLY the 2.4C. By OCing the "C" you can reach 1000FSB.

well unless im mistaken, a 1000FSB would only be useful if you were using PC1066RD RAM, like i am. alas i am stuck with my 533FSB

Originally posted by |CC|Hudson
well unless im mistaken, a 1000FSB would only be useful if you were using PC1066RD RAM, like i am. alas i am stuck with my 533FSB

No, i already explained P4 CPUs are quad-pumped. So in reality the real FSb speed is 250mhzx4=1000mhz. If you have PC4000 RAM you could run in a 1:1 ratio, but i run mine in a 5:4- which is 200mhzx2=400mhz for the RAM.

Back