How many spawnpoints I need?

jan1024188

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am making HL2:DM map and I am wondering how many spawn points should I have?
Also, do players always spawn at same point, or does server randomize on which spawn point will they spawn?

You will spawn in a random spawn point.

There's no such thing as too many spawnpoints (though you won't need more than like 32) so you should just go ahead and place them all around the map until you reach about that many.

I'm a pretty rusty mapper though and someone might have a better opinion.

have a look at the example map in the SourceSDK and see how many spawn points it has.

lol crash!
jk put in as much as you like :)
like Vegeta897 said you will randomly spawn in these spawn points.
so if you like to have 2 spawnpoints go ahead, or 32 your choice where they may spawn ^^

You need to decide the optimum amount of players for your map. The total number of spawnpoints should equal or exceed that amount. I.e. if you think your map will play well with roughly 12 players, make 12 or more spawnpoints. However, if 16 players spawn at the beginning of your map, 4 players will be instagibbed since there won't be enough spawnpoints. It's better to have too many spawnpoints than too little.

A good number of spawnpoints in a range of different locations will eliminate the problem of spawncamping or players spawning very close to someone with superior firepower. Try to situate spawnpoints close (but not very close) to at least 1 weapon if not 2 weapons, or other important pickups. This is very important in deathmatch games. Players must be able to kit up quickly when they spawn.

Try to avoid placing spawnpoints near to very powerful weapons. E.g. If you put spawnpoints next to the rocket launcher you're just giving the player with the RL a lot of easy kills and making the map unbalanced.

Finally, avoid placing spawnpoints next to walls or other major obstacles. If you spawn you should be able to move left, right, forward or backwards to avoid enemy fire. Give the player choices, do not restrict their ability to make judgement calls.

That's my general opinion.

Back