How much fps?

stewe231

Reaction score
How much fps would I get with 2gbs of ram, 2 nvidia geforce 8500 512 mb, and a intel core 2 duo 2.0 ghz at 1024x1012 (I believe thats right)

And how much fps on your current computer do you get in Half-life 2? I get like 20-30 On my computer right now on medium.

Run Lost Coast and do a Video Stress Test. That's the way I do it.

And I get about 88-89 FPS on average at the highest settings, around 100 on the lowest. I've got a 2.16 GB processor, 2 GB of RAM, and a NVIDIA 7900 256MB.

The thing is, I don't have my new computer yet, I'm just woundering...

Dude, you will get a lot with that. I just bought 2 more GBs of RAM giving me 3, a NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GS, and a new power supply which I need for the card.

what computer do you have right now? also you will get great performance for what you just said.

I have a ati radeon 9200 and 512 mbs of ram on a 2.1 Ghz single core.

I get around 30 on a good day, staring at the sky...

I need a new graphics card... integrated graphics sucks balls.

ya you will notice a hugeeee improvement over your current one. also i recommend you go with 8600gts sli instead of 8500.

I don't think I need to be spending any more money, thank you. :p

I'm also getting my own compy...

But i heard Source games are sensitive to overclocking?

I get 55-60 FPS on high @ 1280x1024. AA and AF is handled by the graphics card so no FPS drop with it.

How much fps would I get with 2gbs of ram, 2 nvidia geforce 8500 512 mb, and a intel core 2 duo 2.0 ghz at 1024x1012 (I believe thats right)

And how much fps on your current computer do you get in Half-life 2? I get like 20-30 On my computer right now on medium.
You would get about 120-130fps.

With 1gb of ram , intel duel core processor, 8800 gts Gforce i get around 60-100 FPS
BTW im getting 2gb of ram in a week.

Well Having fps 120 is stupid if your monitor doesnt support refresh rate like that..

Quick question. How do you measure FPS in HL2 or Episode One?

Use net_graph 3 for multiplayer, as it shows your ping as well.

net_graph 1 does also. i believe 1-3 are just different locations and if you put 4 then it shows like some bar graph.

higher rates than 25 fps are bullshit; your eyes are limited around 20-25 fps, so trying to get higher fps is absolutely a HUGE waste of money!

higher rates than 25 fps are bullshit; your eyes are limited around 20-25 fps, so trying to get higher fps is absolutely a HUGE waste of money!

Point taken, but many will try. :cheese:

:) You de better invest in a few extra monitors....
awesome gameplay @ 3072*768:bounce:

Yes it is FALSE. The other day I was playing Q3 arena(which regurarly runs at about 90-100 FPS), and because I was running another program at the same time which uses up memmory, the FPS sometimes dipped to 40 or 50 and the difference was instantly noticeable.

Yes it is FALSE. The other day I was playing Q3 arena(which regurarly runs at about 90-100 FPS), and because I was running another program at the same time which uses up memmory, the FPS sometimes dipped to 40 or 50 and the difference was instantly noticeable.

Well... nothing beats the emperical evidence, so you must be right. Thwe only thing is that the measurement of the framerates in the games must be faulty, because it is simply physics that a human eye is bound to max 20-25 fps.

The human eye works at about 60 FPS, but that doesn't mean that higher FPSes than 60 aren't noticable - the higher the FPS is, the less the chance of the eye updating out of sync with the game.

Dips in frame rates are very noticeable. For instance, the beginning of Urban Flight in Episode One will have a very noticeable dip in framerate thanks to the falling ash, the Strider, the Citadel, and especially the Kleinercast.

The human eye works at about 60 FPS, but that doesn't mean that higher FPSes than 60 aren't noticable - the higher the FPS is, the less the chance of the eye updating out of sync with the game.

in my opinion that almost correct; the eye works up to 50 Hz, and thats equivalent to 25 frames per second (see the Wikipedia); but I dont want to get a "right or wrong game" here. Its my experience that above 25 fps the images are fluently enough to play smoothly. That is my experience in Flightsimulator; maybe in this sort of games it works differently?

in my opinion that almost correct; the eye works up to 50 Hz, and thats equivalent to 25 frames per second (see the Wikipedia); but I dont want to get a "right or wrong game" here. Its my experience that above 25 fps the images are fluently enough to play smoothly. That is my experience in Flightsimulator; maybe in this sort of games it works differently?

25 fps isn't 'fluent' at all. Compare the difference between 60 fps and 25 fps, 60 is much more smooth looking than 25.

umm some of you dont understand that its best to have high fps so if you go into a area which will bring down your fps or if you get into a firefight then the fps wont be as unplayable as it would if you only had 25fps.

In my opinion the subject is more complicated than we think. Wikipedia talks about motion blur, afterimage separation, camera shutter and so on. TV/film and computer generated images are different and human eye seems to react in different ways.

The eyes work in a stream, and it's never been thoroughly tested on what the eye can or cannot see (in terms of difference in fps)

If you're playing a slow game, you'll need less fps for smooth gameplay- if you're playing in a fast paced game like Q3 CPMA, you're going to need a higher fps for it to be smooth.

50Hz means 50 cycles per second, so wouldn't that mean 50 frames per second also? Not half that number? There is definitly a noticeable difference between 25fps and 50fps anyway.

Edit: [grammarnazi]The title of this thread should be "How many FPS?"[/grammarnazi]

Back