How to make skies on DM maps

lordbotulor

Reaction score
I am extremely new to the mapping scene (like as of 2 hours ago), and I was wondering if anyone could point me to a tutorial, or explain to me how to add a sky to a map. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, you can take all of the vertical sides of your map, plus the uppermost horizontal side and apply the skybox texture. Then goto map properties and specify a skybox name. You can find the names within Hammer or at www.interlopers.net . Hope that helps.

Do I need to create really big vertical and horizontal sides to the map, surrounding the map I have already made, and then apply the texture to the uppermost portion?

select the skybox texture, make a box surrounding the map then hollow it =]

Is there any particular size or ratio the big box should be in? Also, when I try to apply a skybox texture to one of the walls of my cube, it looks kinda distorted, like all the color is in a stripe in the middle, and the rest is a light blue. What am I doing wrong here?

You need to apply the tools\skybox texture to it, not the sky texture itself. Then you need to click on the "map" menu at the top , select map properties, then select the skybox keyvalue, and in the empty field on the same window enter the sky texture you want it to apply to your skybox. You dig?

No, he means the actual 'skybox' texture. On the right-hand side of your Hammer window, underneath the 'current texture' drop down menu, there's a 'browse' button. Click it, then next to filter type 'skybox'. Scroll down until you see a bright blue texture with the word skybox on it. That's the texture you'll be needing.

EDIT: Whoops, Bleeder got there first...

Back