How to make striders attack?

• Thread starter eXtreme Reviews
  • Start date
E

eXtreme Reviews

Hi,
I want to make a HL2DM map, with a strider in a cage, but i want the strider to fire at the players outside - how on earth do i do this? I have the cage, and the strider...but all it does is stand there...any help would be greatly appreciated!

eXtreme Reviews said:
Hi,
I want to make a HL2DM map, with a strider in a cage, but i want the strider to fire at the players outside - how on earth do i do this? I have the cage, and the strider...but all it does is stand there...any help would be greatly appreciated!
It'll fire at players automatically (the suppression gun requires extra work) but its cannon works even without the nodes for moving about. Check you haven't set something that pauses it.

Sounds though like you've got ai turned off in HL2DM, if not then its not in coop mode (needs to be in coop 1 or AI wont run)

How do i turn AI on or off? and how do i check if its in coop mode also?

(sorry, i guess i'm a n00b)

eXtreme Reviews said:
How do i turn AI on or off? and how do i check if its in coop mode also?

(sorry, i guess i'm a n00b)
HL2DM IIRC starts up by default as deathmatch 1 which is DM mode and ai is off.

You need to type coop 1, then run the map. ai_disable toggles ai but you shouldn't need to use that as coop1 should work, just remember to add nodes if you want things to move around properly, though they seem to be fine moving generally, just not as intelligent without the hint nodes.

how do the nodes work? are they just there to show general directions the ai can or cant go, or are they like waypoints?

I tryed that but no joy

Assuming you type it in console before the map command.
Ive been tring to find out for days how to enable the AI but there dont seem to be much available on this subject.
can anyone else help?

Psychx said:
how do the nodes work? are they just there to show general directions the ai can or cant go, or are they like waypoints?
pretty much like waypoints.. there's nothing to them than placing them where you want them to go.

What I did was place the strider ground nodes (just regular nodes and set the strider part to them) then copied those, pasted in place, moved them up to the height of a strider, changed them to air nodes (with the same strider node setting) then ran it and bobs yer uncle. Fiddle around with the flags for the strider gets different results, and of coruse you can use the input/outputs to get them to do different things, ignore the player, have no collisions etc. to fit the way you want them to behave in your map.

ok...yea, seems a lot of people are struggling with the AI - does anyone know of a tutorial for AI?

This is what I did, and it doesn't work - create an entity .. npc_strider .. default settings, it sits there and does nothing...messed around with settings, it still sits there and does nothing.

I tried giving it a 'target_path_track' and it didnt even walk to the target entity.

i have created a ground node and an air node - they just sit there, dont know what im supposed to do with them?

So now what? by the way - coop 1 is on now..and nothing happens :(

inputs and outputs - looked at these...is this what i need to do, so it attacks players? if so - how do i give it the target of 'player'?

A strider will attack the enemy automatically, but it wont move without ground/air nodes setup as strider hints.

ai_disable toggles ai on/off

deathmatch 1 should be deathmatch 0

coop 0 should be coop 1

don't change these when the map has loaded, it wont make a blind bit of difference, change them before loading the map or type restart after its loaded and you've changed them, or set them in the correct config file.

It'll work then.

The Dark Elf said:
pretty much like waypoints.. there's nothing to them than placing them where you want them to go.

What I did was place the strider ground nodes (just regular nodes and set the strider part to them) then copied those, pasted in place, moved them up to the height of a strider, changed them to air nodes (with the same strider node setting) then ran it and bobs yer uncle. Fiddle around with the flags for the strider gets different results, and of coruse you can use the input/outputs to get them to do different things, ignore the player, have no collisions etc. to fit the way you want them to behave in your map.

Another thing for Striders: the info_node_hint has a Hint that's called Strider node, not sure what it does.

PvtRyan said:
Another thing for Striders: the info_node_hint has a Hint that's called Strider node, not sure what it does.
scroll up + check my other thread ;)

this really sucks...

i tried starting from scratch, made a plain map, ground, sky, 1 strider - nothing added to the striders properties...i spawn, and the strider is there, swaying to and fro...

what could be wrong!? im creating this map in the hammer editor for HL DM - maybe it only works for the HL2 editor? i have no ideas...u say it should automatically attack u by default, but it doesnt!!

ok...if i cant get it to attack, at least, could u show me (in detail if u have time) how to make it move from one place to another.

sorry for the hassle, but i'd really like to get this working.

i just noticed something....RPG rockets go straight through the Strider..unless they hit the legs!?

what could this mean?

eXtreme Reviews said:
i just noticed something....RPG rockets go straight through the Strider..unless they hit the legs!?

what could this mean?
maybe its ****ed lol

I dont think they have all of the support in for this yet... I wish they would release info on everything - every new sdk update or release is always lacking "just enough" information :/

Shady said:
I dont think they have all of the support in for this yet... I wish they would release info on everything - every new sdk update or release is always lacking "just enough" information :/
It's far better than last time. I remember help on the majority of entities were lacking for HL1, and especially Op4. Lists on them were often incomplete, nobody really knew what everything did, this was after a few years too. We've got way more info this time.

Generally you just see an entity with an interesting name, put it in a testmap and build around it until you've got something that works... That's I'm about to do with this env_player_surface_trigger I just stumbled across, which seems to fire two different outputs each time the player steps on and off the specified material... Sandtraps remake anyone?

I'm having this problem right now...

has anyone found a good tutorial on making enemies attack/move to path pts/do anything except just sit there? I can make a node where they just keep respawning, and then I get to kill mindless NPCs who don't do anything all I want...

that interlopers site isn't working... anything else? /me criez =P

yeah i have had huge problems with AI even in SP maps...doesnt help when a site goes down that seems to have had a lot (i never got to see it :( ). Hopefully info and tutorials will pad out.

Back