How to set AA & AF for 6800GT

M

MellowCorn

Do you set your AA and AF in the control pannel or the video settings in the game browser?

Not sure why one would do it but what if you set 2AA and 4AF in the control pannel and then 4AA and 16AF in the games video settings? Which one would take priority?

I believe I read somewhere that you are better off using the control pannel.

Thanks.

If the game has an in-game option to use AA and AF, use the game to set those features. If the game does not have an option to use AA and AF, then set AA and AF in the control panel.

One more thing. For cs:s the AF settings in the game have -bilinear, trilinear and 2x-16xAF. If you want to run your AF from the control pannel what should you set the games video settings to... trilinear?

You can at least check "none" for the AA settings.

Not really sure what bilinear and trilinear is though.

Thanks again.

I don't understand why Bilinear and Trilinear are in the same menu as the AF settings. I assume they are the same thing. But which is best 8xAF or Trilinear?

MellowCorn said:
I don't understand why Bilinear and Trilinear are in the same menu as the AF settings. I assume they are the same thing. But which is best 8xAF or Trilinear?

Anisotropic filtering is the step up from Bilinear and Trilinear filtering. It's a different (and more modern) approach to the same problem. Therefore, 8x Anisotropic is many times better than Trilinear filtering.

I have mine set to 16x AF and 2x Temporal AA, which I like since AA usually is a big drain on FPS but with the temporal there are practically no jaggies :D

The cs:s video settings force you to choose a setting there is not a "none" setting.
So does the games settings override the driver settings in the control panel? What should I set them to if I want to use the control pannel settings?

Or should I just put the control pannel to application pref. and use the game settings?

Back