How Will Aftermath End?

Enough with the trains. I doubt Valve would show something from the end of the game.

605Scorpion said:
Enough with the trains. I doubt Valve would show something from the end of the game.

How to get a large number of civilians away from a city in a hurry, when the roads are utterly wrecked and filled with monsters and the only working vehicles are Combine APCs, anyway? By train, that's how.

Who's to say anybody knows how to work a combine train? Gordon and Alyx could just be hitchin' a ride out of the Citadel as far as the train goes. It could go to Zimbabwe, it could go 5 feet outside the citadel, it could go to Zen. No one knows.

I think the game will answer some questions, but will end in another cliffhanger, keeping the fans screaming for the next episode, and the next one, and the next, and the next

605Scorpion said:
Who's to say anybody knows how to work a combine train? Gordon and Alyx could just be hitchin' a ride out of the Citadel as far as the train goes. It could go to Zimbabwe, it could go 5 feet outside the citadel, it could go to Zen. No one knows.

Guess what?

THE TRAIN STATION WHERE IT ALL STARTED FROM, NOT SOME SILLY COMBINE TRAIN

605Scorpion said:

Who cares where the train goes, as long as it's away from City 17? Also, you seem to forget that this is computer game. Someone is bound to know, how to operate the train and Gordon will most likely have to solve a puzzle or several to get it moving.

Or can you imagine a better method of evacuation, keeping in mind, that the rebel teleports can only move one person at the time and reliably only to another teleport?

605Scorpion said:

Yeah, we do know. We've seen Citadel screens. We've seen the train in the trailer. We've seen City 17 screens. Obviously the train takes them a little bit out of the Citadel. But I'm actually pretty certain it crashes.

Samon said:
Yeah, we do know. We've seen Citadel screens. We've seen the train in the trailer. We've seen City 17 screens. Obviously the train takes them a little bit out of the Citadel. But I'm actually pretty certain it crashes.

Well, in the Gamespot interview with Robin Walker, he stated that it will "take place entirely within the walls of City 17", So unfortunately that rules out any trips to Xen.

How does that apply to my quote Max? :p
Unless you are referring to Scorpion and his xen comment.

I was referring to the limitations of the train's route. I was agreeing with you in the fact the train stops a little bit outside of the Citadel. Scorpion said it could go to Zimbabwe, I stated why that was hogwash. The Xen comment was just an addition. And....I'm tired.:imu:

I wasn't 100% serious about Zimbabwe, Xen etc. I figured that would've been obvious. [sigh]

Samon said:
Exactly.

I would not be surprised if some Strider just pops up from under some bridge and you and Alyx have to jump off.

605Scorpion said:
I wasn't 100% serious about Zimbabwe, Xen etc. I figured that would've been obvious.

Well, obviously, I didn't think you meant Zimbabwe or Xen specifically. I simply meant it in a general sense, that the train couldn't leave the City 17 area because it is set entirely within C17.

We´ll have a better glimpse of the whole picture, we´ll finaly understand the reason behind the Combine invasion, and Gordon will finaly begin to understand who is G-man, his reasons for saving Gordon from death when teleporting him away from the Nihilant´s chamber and keeping him away from the horrors of the "Portal Storm" and the "7 hour War".

The Resistance will have sparked several succesful revolutions troughout the "Combine occupied" Earth becoming, in that way, a force to be reckonned and feared by the Overwatch forces.

Max35 said:
Well, obviously, I didn't think you meant Zimbabwe or Xen specifically. I simply meant it in a general sense, that the train couldn't leave the City 17 area because it is set entirely within C17.
Nova Prospekt isn't in City 17, and Alyx hitched a ride on a train to get there

Uh...I meant in Aftermath, and we can't go back to NP in AM because it is a large crater by now, or so I would assume.

Max35 said:

Uhh...Have you played the game? Actually played? Did you notice, that there is an actual trainstation, right in the beginning, with huge billboards to show several destinations in other numbered cities? Not to mention that the people in the station talked about relocations, as well as City 14, like they'd just come from there?
Also, did you pay attention to that huge railroad bridge outside the city, that you had to cross with your buggy? The one, where you almost get run over?

*sigh*

Learn some attention, people.

Wow.....I meant Aftermath is set entirely inside the walls of City 17, the train in the Citadel won't make it outside the walls of the city. Maybe the train used to escape at the end or whatever will. But all of the game except the ending no one knows yet, AM is all about C17, read in Gamespot interview. Didn't mean to be vague, I didn't mean the train is limited in it's route worldly speaking. I said that the Citadel train at the beginning won't leave City 17 because of what Robin Walker stated in the interview, some other event has to happen to prevent that, or AM would be pointless. That's why I referred to Samon's quote.

Max35 said:
I said that the Citadel train at the beginning won't leave City 17 because of what Robin Walker stated in the interview, some other event has to happen to prevent that, or AM would be pointless. That's why I referred to Samon's quote.

Ahh...This kind of misunderstandings are rather easy in the 'Net, when you are vague on what you're talking about. And I get sarcastic when people are missing the obvious. Sorry about that.

Yes, most likely something stops the train from the Citadel. However, I'm fairly certain, that the game will end in the evacuation of the city and the only feasible way I can think of is by train - not neccesarily the same one, though.

How can you missunderstand that he is talking about aftermatch/episode.1?
Check the tiltle of the thread, cheeck the previous posts. 20 minutes before you posted he said

Max35 said:
Uh...I meant in Aftermath, and we can't go back to NP in AM because it is a large crater by now, or so I would assume.

You should pay more attention before being sarcastic.

*Bangs head on wall.

Its pretty obvious Max meant that the train you see in the Aftermath in the citadel will not take you anywhere special and will infact only be your ticket out of the citadel and onto the city streets.

The only escape route I see, is the Borealis.

Rizzo89 said:
How can you missunderstand that he is talking about aftermatch/episode.1?

Quite easily, I'm afraid. It was this quote, that did it:

I simply meant it in a general sense, that the train couldn't leave the City 17 area because it is set entirely within C17.

Since he did not specify what train and in what situation and I had been constantly talking about a possible train in the end of the episode - and rather clearly, at least IMO, I misunderstood his message to relate directly to my meaning.

Check the tiltle of the thread, cheeck the previous posts.

I did read the entire thread before making a single post, as I always do in discussions such as this. The quote you gave didn't really relate to the matter in any way. He simply stated, why Nova Prospekt wouldn't be a possible place to visit in Episode 1 and I had no disagreement, there.

The Borealis was an ice ship. I forget the details, but I think you take it back to City 17 or you take it from City 17 to the Nova Prospekt/Air Exchange part.

Don't take thatseriously, I'm pretty sure I'm half wrong :)

The Borealis was an icebreaker ship that was mapped several times for different purposes. At one point it was ice locked in the ocean, and upon arrival with Odell you find the entire place deserted - inhabited only by Combine and Stalkers.
Another time you took it to the Kraken, though I'm pretty sure its the same thing - you took the submarine to the Kraken, yeah thats it. And its most recent version was where you began on it, before it was replaced with the train.

I loved the Borealis, as I like levels with some isolation, and the fact that it was in the middle of the sea was even more awesome.

Samon said:
The Borealis was an icebreaker ship that was mapped several times for different purposes. At one point it was ice locked in the ocean, and upon arrival with Odell you find the entire place deserted - inhabited only by Combine and Stalkers.
Another time you took it to the Kraken, though I'm pretty sure its the same thing - you took the submarine to the Kraken, yeah thats it. And its most recent version was where you began on it, before it was replaced with the train.

I loved the Borealis, as I like levels with some isolation, and the fact that it was in the middle of the sea was even more awesome.

what the hell?

Yeah, i gave it a serch on the forums... downloading now.
damn i missed so much! When in game is this suppodsed to have occuerd? Some where along the cost?

Samon said:
And its most recent version was where you began on it, before it was replaced with the train.
I'm pretty sure that was the first usage for it, and putting it as transportation between air exchange / kraken came later. Don't have RtB with me to check it though it's worth considering that the version in Missing Information is based on the 2003 leak and that's evidently from the inter AE / Kraken version. The Train Journey was already in the 2003 beta version as well.

Samon said:

Wasn't it zombies? One of the shots of the Borealis that isn't part of the leaked game (its up on HL2.net somewhere) showed what looks like a zombie on the decks. Could be mistaken, but it looks like a zombie anyway. I also remember reading somewhere it was an infected area.

Also, in some of the leaked shots that someone posted here once (quickly snipped, mind) showed broken glass, trails of blood, smears and handprints of blood on windows/walls and the sillouete of a headcrab inpaled by a spear in some sort of frozen freezer type place of the ship. Possibly kitchen area.

Actually, now I think on it, there were some shots that showed you with a crowbar facing a zombie on a catwalk above machinery that was on fire - which can be seen in the leaked shots.

I've rambled, sorry.

Combine, Stalkers and zombies, to be precise. What difference it makes, I've no idea :p

Would of been intresting to watch the fights the 3 types of enemies create, mind. That is, if the Stalkers do try and attack the Combine if they see that they have their guard down and such.

What where the 3 doing on the ship anyway? Ship transporting Stalkers (like the trains), then shelled by headcrabs therefore a Combine clean up team is sent in or what?

wow... Imagine. A Zombified stalker! A fast one!

No, they were simply originally used as enemies. The ship was a resistance ship, a science vessel. The stalkers are never given a chance to take on the Combine but its doubtful they would.

Yeah but you can't deny that watching the differen't type of enemy's have some huge battle wouldn't be cool :p

Back