How would one go about...

R

rosales.r

Greetings,

I would like to know if anyone on this forum can give me information regarding the creation of entirely new vehicle types, such as mecha, landing craft, helicopters...etc. I would like these new vehicles to be usable in a single/multi-player mod of HL2.

I have looked up various resources regarding the creation of new "wheeled" vehicles, but as of yet, cannot find anyone who has created new types.

Thank you for your time.

If you want helicopters and things like hovercrafts, you will need to code them in C++. For a mech walker type thing, one already was made for Garry's Mod in a mini-mod called "VMod" search it.

Thank you very much for this information. I believe this is a great place to start.

in this thread. im gonna build a walker to ! ill build right now !

wtrtitle.jpg

jezus, im good.

-dodo

Dodo said:
in this thread. im gonna build a walker to ! ill build right now !

wtrtitle.jpg

jezus, im good.

-dodo
:p :LOL:

Yea VMod is full of vehicles. Great examples. Just note, the settings folder is specific to Garry's Mod and doesn't have anything to do with the vehicles. The important folder for the vehicles is the scripts folder. The second most important folders are sounds, models and materials.

Another vehicle add on mod for Garry's mod that you may be interested in is GMOW (Garry's Mod On Wheels).

You're allowed to script in custom vehicles without modifying the DLLs...

Raeven0 said:

In Garry's Mod only or in the SDK in general? If its the second one, I'm listening :D.

i think you meen can rather than allowed lol. i dont understand what you meen. sure you can make a car or hoverboat as you will be using existing code and replacing models. thats not the case for more complex vehicles though is it.

Ah, yes... I missed the requirement of making non-wheeled vehicles when I read the OP.

You can MAKE, not only modify vehicle entities in the scripts folder. I think for the most part it is really straight forward. Set things like horsepower, speed, reverse speed, sounds, models, shift timing, ammount of wheels on vehicle, vehicle weight, etc.

Yea, I was thinking of doing a tank-like vehicles sorta along the lines of the multi-ped tanks from the Ghost in The Shell series, like....

haw114.jpg

And new helicopter designs too. I was just curious about where to start. Most of this feedback was helpful. Thank you all very much.

OOO that would be cool! If you do that post it here, I wana see how that turns out.

well you will need to create lots of bones which will be defined in the qc file. if you dont want it to be playable then i think the easyest way to do it would be to create it as an enemy character and just animate it as a machine.

Ahh make it an npc and a vehicle. lol thats were the coding starts... lol :p

NPC or vehicle is exactly what I wanted to do. School just started back up, so there might not be much progress on this for a while.

Thank you all for your input.

do you know anything about coding? i think this would be pretty hard if you dont.

I know C++ very well. But I need to study the HL2 SDK a lot before I will be able to pull anything like this off. I am fairly certain that the source engine can handle systems like this, but I agree with you, it will take a lot of know how and understanding of some of the deepest part of the code.

Never said it would be easy...just a cool result...hopefully.

i think its a perfect idea. the mecha from ghost in the shell is cool.

-dodo

Back