How would this run hl2?

CatBOne

Reaction score
Contrary to my last thread('Change Of Plans') I will probably be able to get a gfx card this xmas. :bounce:

So will this card be any good? - 'HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon 9550 256MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-010-HT)' I can get it quite cheep.

My specs are:

Pentium 4 1.8 ghz
512 RAM
Not sure about power supply, can some1 tell me how to find out?

thnx

no that card is a pile of crap and wont last you six months, get a radeon 9800, gfx cards are expensive but you gotta live with im afraid.

EDIT- that processor is a bit crap too, get an AMD 64 2800 which is pretty cheap , im afraid u cant be a cheapskate when it comes to gaming pc's, you have enough ram with that though

LOLLERSKATES EDIT- wigan! whatever you do dont talk about graphics cards to anyone where you live, unless you WANT to get beaten up for being a "dirty greebo"

You might get it even cheaper with 128mb. That card won't use 256mb.

As far as HL2 performance is concerned it will run it fairly well at low detail levels.

For nearly the same price, try searching for a 9600 or 9600 Pro. They probably will be close to the same cost but provide a dramatic jump in performance.

It is disappointing that with the dramatic jump in the performance sector of video cards, we have yet to realize any real performance gains on low-end cards.

Lol R9550 is still a quite nice card and can be OCed to smthin like R9600pro. Check AnandTech for the GPU comparison using HL2. For DX9 levels this is better than GeForce 5900XT!

I'm running HL2 on a GeForce 4 MX 440 preety well (I know it's dx7 mode) but looking at what you call crap you may not believe me I can run WinXP in 1024x768 :]

stinger.aim92 said:
Lol R9550 is still a quite nice card and can be OCed to smthin like R9600pro. Check AnandTech for the GPU comparison using HL2. For DX9 levels this is better than GeForce 5900XT!

I'm running HL2 on a GeForce 4 MX 440 preety well (I know it's dx7 mode) but looking at what you call crap you may not believe me I can run WinXP in 1024x768 :]

I think the GeForce 4 MX 440 is a great card for general usage and even really light gaming. In fact the 2D engine on most video cards are almost identical (except for resolution support) to each other. That means the 2D picture in windows is going to be the exact same thing on my X800 Pro as your GF 4MX 440. However, when you get into 3D applications...

I personally would still go with the 9600 just because it has more pixelpipelines than the 9550. Those pixelpipelines will become critical for a low end card as more advanced games come out.

my desktop with gf4 mx440 runs cs source fine, i expect hl2 to do the same? ( i havent tried) only complaint is that once u look at water, it looks like crap. Looked like gray land to me in de_aztec but got decent fps at med settings and AA and AF off.

related...
isnt the 9600xt similar to the mobility 9700? i have it and it runs hl2 fine at med settings with AA and AF at 2x. i could probably do on high settings but the loads time sux at that detail level on my crap 5400 rpm hard drive.

The 9550 is a good card (underclocked 9600) although you can buy a 9600 (Pro or XT) online from places like newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com for the same price the 9550 costs in Retail stores (Best Buy/Compusa).

CatBOne said:
Contrary to my last thread('Change Of Plans') I will probably be able to get a gfx card this xmas. :bounce:

So will this card be any good? - 'HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon 9550 256MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-010-HT)' I can get it quite cheep.

My specs are:

Pentium 4 1.8 ghz
512 RAM
Not sure about power supply, can some1 tell me how to find out?

thnx

Not sure about the card. I'd think that it might be a bit outdated. I hear 9600 xt's are good for a low budget.

Your cpu though, it seems like a HUGE botleneck.

Back