HUGE Arguement At School About...

1/3 = 0.333 repeating

1/3 * 3 = 3/3 = 1 = 0.333 repeating * 3 = 0.999 repeating

No, it is not equal to 0.999(etc.).
You're simplifying the equation to compensate for the infinity.

If all of the infinite decimal places were taken into account, the answer would be one.
But since you cannot take them all into account (because they are infinite) you simplify the solution down to simply multiplying 3 by 3 a couple times and tacking an (etc.) onto the end.

The difference is utterly negligible, because no brain can calculate infinity. But Ronny the Ruler proves there is a difference.

so what if 0.999... = 1? how does it fit in the grander scheme of things and who the **** really cares?

Waiddaminnit. Can that be done with any old number?

A mate of mine said that 4+4 can equal to 5. Apparantly the equation for working it out takes up an entire white-board HAHA! :p

A mate of mine said that 4+4 can equal to 5. Apparantly the equation for working it out takes up an entire white-board HAHA! :p

I don't see how that is possible. I have 4 apples, I add 4 more. I have 8.

Apparently his math is wrong :p

0.999... = 1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999...
http://www.math.fau.edu/Richman/HTML/999.htm
Or just google 0.999 = 1

Inside Group Educational Resources? Presents:

Ronny the Ruler!

There you have it, folks.
The end!
Your patronising 'proof' fails because it can't 'zoom' to an infinite number of 9's.

1/3 = 0.333 repeating

1/3 * 3 = 3/3 = 1 = 0.333 repeating * 3 = 0.999 repeating
Nail on Head.

There are a lot of math jokes which show things like this. They usually work by hiding a mathematical error somewhere like taking something that should be undefined (like 0/0 or 1/0) to be something else. I'd say your friend has been sucked in :(.

2+2 = 4

Call me the mathwhiz!
You are the mathwhiz :p.

Well, 0.999... and 1 debate seems to be problematic.

Always take extra-note on the assumption a proof made beforehand.
The first assumption of Ronny da' Ruler is that, at the very beginning, there is a gap between 9.99... and 10. Hence, whenever you zoom, there is a gap between the two numbers. If the assumption is correct, the prove is correct. However, there is no gap between 9.999... and 10, so the prime assumption is incorrect. The proof is already meaningless at this point. There is no gap between 9.999... and 10 after all.

inane01ty8.png

I have corrected the assumption.

inane02el6.png

There is to this one. Because there is a one on the end.
There is one to this? Are you out of your mind? The definition of infinity is "there is no end". There is no exemption seems it is the definition. Any number violates the statement is not infinity but something other. It is the definition that there is no end, as a matter of fact.

A huge argument at school turns into a huge argument on the forums o_O

There is one to this? Are you out of your mind? The definition of infinity is "there is no end". There is no exemption seems it is the definition. Any number violates the statement is not infinity but something other. It is the definition that there is no end, as a matter of fact.

If the number is 0.000...01 where ... is an infinite number of 0s, the ...01 is still on the end.

If the number is 0.000...01 where ... is an infinite number of 0s, the ...01 is still on the end.

If Mechagodzilla's thesis is correct then every single number (OMFG) would be capable of equalling the number directly above it (eg: 1234.56 = 1234.57 OMGOSH!)

But BBJosh totally blew that outta the water. Good one man :D

No, it is not equal to 0.999(etc.).
You're simplifying the equation to compensate for the infinity.

If all of the infinite decimal places were taken into account, the answer would be one.
But since you cannot take them all into account (because they are infinite) you simplify the solution down to simply multiplying 3 by 3 a couple times and tacking an (etc.) onto the end.

The difference is utterly negligible, because no brain can calculate infinity. But Ronny the Ruler proves there is a difference.

But since you cannot take them all into account (because they are infinite)

That's what 0.999 repeating means. Infinitely repeating.

Sounds like a good science practical if you ask me.

In order for one number to be bigger than another, you must be able to find a number between them.

Ex: 3 it bigger than 2, because 2.5 is in between

Now, would you gentlemen please present a number that's between 1 and 0.999...

Didn't think so, either.

BTW, there's a lovely Wikipedia article on the subject.

Since the opponents are unable to provide any proof on 0.999...=/= 1
Therefore, 0.999... = 1
End of the dicussion.

Let's discuss whether the cat will die.

x=0.999....
10x=9.999
9x=9
x=1

It's mathmatically prooven.

Eh CC, ever thought of showing this thread to ur lecturer? Would be funny to see his/her reaction, no?

In any case...

Bacons.

x=0.999....
10x=9.999
9x=9
x=1

It's mathmatically prooven.

So... 0.99999 = 0.9 + 0.9(1/10) + 0.9(1/10)^2 + 0.9(1/10)^3...
By Geomatric series
0.9(1/10)^n be P(n)

S(infinite) = a/(1-R)
= 0.9(1-1/10)
= 0.9(9/10)
= 1

Alternatively, let S(infinite) be y:

y = 0.9+(0.1)y
y(1-0.1) = 0.9
y(0.9) = 0.9
y = 1

p.s. stupidity reigns these days

Inside Group Educational Resources? Presents: Ronny the Ruler!

*insert ruler fallacy here*

No. Absolutely not. Mathematical proof is the only thing that matters here, and without disproving stuff like this, you don't win at maths. Proof is absolute - conceptual ideas of what everyone thinks is 'infinity' and the bottom line people employ as 'common sense' aren't valid in mathematics.

those who think 0.999...=1 said:
0.999... = 1 - 0.000...1
But 0.000...1 has an infinite number of zeroes
So, 0.000...1 = 0
Thus, 0.999... = 1 - 0
0.999... = 1

So it all goes down to this.

You're defining a number with an infinite amount of zeroes, but still having a 1 at the end. Now if you're still saying that placing 1 at the end is completely irrelevant, because there is already an infinite amount of zeroes that exclude in any way the 1 at the end, how could you have placed it there in the first place?

0.999... is like infinitely close to 1, but not 1.

OK, now let's find a cat we can throw off the Eiffel Tower.

You're defining a number with an infinite amount of zeroes, but still having a 1 at the end. Now if you're still saying that placing 1 at the end is completely irrelevant, because there is already an infinite amount of zeroes that exclude in any way the 1 at the end, how could you have placed it there in the first place?

THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING!

SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS!

*throws cat off tower*

OK, now let's find a cat we can throw off the Eiffel Tower.

You can't. Same goes for 0.999 repeating.

Holy shit, this argument again!

0.999 (recurring) equals 1, even if you are rounding up by an infinitesimal fraction because in the real world something that is infinitely small is considered 0. Therefore the difference between 0.9999(repeating) and 1 is 0 therefore they should be considered the same number!

Anything that is infinitely close to something, cannot have anything that is a true number be put between the something and the anything.

Anything that is infinitely close to something, cannot have anything that is a true number be put between the something and the anything.

OK, and that made sense :rolleyes:

I think you've been thinking about this a little too long.

OK, and that made sense :rolleyes:

I think you've been thinking about this a little too long.
Ok if you didn't understand that then... Nevermind, all the ignorance in this thread is just making me angry, but 15357's statement makes perfect sense.

Anyway, this is all Raziaar's fault for questioning it in the first place and setting of this god damn chain reaction.

WE SHALL HAVE A HANGING!

Sigh, IT IS EXACTLY EQUAL TO ONE.

0.999.... COULD NOT BE MORE EQUAL TO ONE

2-1=0.999...

0.999...=1

Look, people here have supplied mathmatical proofs, in maths, you don't write essays, you proove things with numbers.

Find a fault in the proofs supplied, or accept 0.999...=1

Remeber that '=' means exactly equal to, to almost equal to, or rounded up and equal to, or even 'infinately equal' which doesn't even make sense.

0.999... and 1 are the same value expresed in different ways

0.333...*3=1=0.999....=2-1=5-4=0+1=0.999...

Back