Hydras in Aftermath?

Hunter_8472 said:
Like the Crab & Mortar Synths seen in the citadel. I'd like to see those in Aftermath.
They weren't very big. I want:
A new bigger antlion
stalkers
mortar synths
crab synths
houndeyes
bullsquids
at least 1 new Xen monster

Snarks! Snarks! Pouring out of pipes! Scurrying through air vents! Causing mayhem among the ranks of the enemy and making gleeful little chirps and squeaks while doing it!

I wouldn't care if they added anything else in Aftermath if they met my Snarky demands.

Snarks. Millions upon millions of writhing green bodies, slithering over each other, scurrying through the craks, through the holes, a mass of stinking alien flesh with one thing on its hive mind - to feed. And then explode in a shower of gore.

The far-off clatter and rustle of the mass.

"What's that?" said Lehrman.

Fear on Calhoun's face. "They're coming..."

And chumtoads, I forgot chumtoads. Snarks, but not as a weapon.

Why don't the Combine use snarks instead of headcrabs in their missiles? What's better a force that will clean the place out quick and perish like it never happened or a slow moving force that will grow into a more cumbersome nusiance?

DoctorWeeTodd said:
Why don't the Combine use snarks instead of headcrabs in their missiles? What's better a force that will clean the place out quick and perish like it never happened or a slow moving force that will grow into a more cumbersome nusiance?

Snark can be disposed of pretty easily with a simple spray, I doubt the resistance would have that much trouble. And its probably cumbersome work trying to stick enough snarks into a missile to ensure it is effective, knowing the snarks they would probably explode the moment the missile hits the ground due to the impact.

Plus, it isn't wise polluting areas with snarks, especially if they begin to gather. It'd be a hell of alot worse than zombies.

I'd like to see the combine guards trying to keep snarks from escaping from the missile as they were loading it. As many of them would be scurrying out as they'd be throwing in by hand -- the whole business could be set to Benny Hill music.

I'd like to see the combine guards trying to keep snarks from escaping from the missile as they were loading it. As many of them would be scurrying out as they'd be throwing in by hand -- the whole business could be set to Benny Hill music.

Pay attention, modders! :E

Iced_Eagle said:
When asked if Hydra's will return, Marc Laidlaw smiles and says

Mossman came from Half-Life -- she was a character we couldn't pull off until Half-Life 2. So I'd say that none of our ideas, if we're attached to them, ever necessarily go away.

Woo-hoo!

Samon said:
Snark can be disposed of pretty easily with a simple spray, I doubt the resistance would have that much trouble. And its probably cumbersome work trying to stick enough snarks into a missile to ensure it is effective, knowing the snarks they would probably explode the moment the missile hits the ground due to the impact.

Plus, it isn't wise polluting areas with snarks, especially if they begin to gather. It'd be a hell of alot worse than zombies.

Snarks have a ten second lifespan. They'd die inside the rocket.

-Angry Lawyer

Angry Lawyer said:

-Angry Lawyer

Ah yes...but thanks for validating my argument :D

Angry Lawyer said:

-Angry Lawyer
Maybe they load a few of those things that bread snarks into the rocket.

Hostile takeover buying up Sainsburys = frozen snarks.

If it's from the old HL, I hope it doesn't appear in Aftermath. :monkee: Most of those enemies and bosses that didn't make it to HL2 were just too cheesey to be taken seriously in today's games.

Dario D. said:
If it's from the old HL, I hope it doesn't appear in Aftermath. :monkee: Most of those enemies and bosses that didn't make it to HL2 were just too cheesey to be taken seriously in today's games.
I can see how you might think that a houndeye is a little cheesy but how can you find a bullsquid or ichy cheesy?

Angry Lawyer said:

-Angry Lawyer
Your kidding. I don't remember picking one up and having the shit knocked out of me by a Snark while HOLDING it.:sniper: :monkee: :afro:

that's true. Snarks only explode in ten seconds after being released from their snark-holes and allowed to run free.

And even then, I believe that the 'timer' is only triggered when they percieve a threat while doing so. (Including the tosser.)

So I propose these laws of snarkodynamics:

Snarks DO explode when:
-People/snark hater aliens are spotted.
AND
-They are allowed to run freely.
AND/OR
-They are killed.

Snarks DO NOT explode when:
-They don't see people/snark hater aliens.
OR
-They are kept from moving.
AND/OR
-They are safely inside a snark nest and don't want to leave.

So, most snarks don't explode, but it is borderline impossible to spot a snark without it seeing you, and then activating its timer.
If you had a mechanical arm, a snark nest and a 1-way mirrored case, however, you could safely remove them from their home without setting off their self-destruct timers.

Snarks blow themselves up like that in order to defend the five or so compatriots that always remain inside the nest.

I want Houndeyes.

You hear me?

I WANT A ****ING PET HOUNDEYE.

I always found it so difficult to kill the little buggers in HL.

Absinthe said:
I want Houndeyes.

You hear me?

I WANT A ****ING PET HOUNDEYE.

I always found it so difficult to kill the little buggers in HL.

How were they difficult to kill?

Not difficult as in they were hard to kill.

I just didn't want to kill them. :(

Ah. In my opinion, it's kind of justified by the fact that they're trying to kill me.

Mechagodzilla said:
that's true. Snarks only explode in ten seconds after being released from their snark-holes and allowed to run free.

And even then, I believe that the 'timer' is only triggered when they percieve a threat while doing so. (Including the tosser.)

So I propose these laws of snarkodynamics:

Snarks DO explode when:
-People/snark hater aliens are spotted.
AND
-They are allowed to run freely.
AND/OR
-They are killed.

Snarks DO NOT explode when:
-They don't see people/snark hater aliens.
OR
-They are kept from moving.
AND/OR
-They are safely inside a snark nest and don't want to leave.

So, most snarks don't explode, but it is borderline impossible to spot a snark without it seeing you, and then activating its timer.
If you had a mechanical arm, a snark nest and a 1-way mirrored case, however, you could safely remove them from their home without setting off their self-destruct timers.

Snarks blow themselves up like that in order to defend the five or so compatriots that always remain inside the nest.
Snarkodynamics?

By God MechaGojira you may be on to something here!

That was actually a pretty good point.

Houndeyes were some cute and jumpy little bastards weren't they?

Man, it would definitely be difficult to run a snark farm. All it would take is Leeroy Jenkins running through the place and all my livestock would be gone forever!

MuToiD_MaN said:
Man, it would definitely be difficult to run a snark farm. All it would take is Leeroy Jenkins running through the place and all my livestock would be gone forever!
LEEEEEEEEERROOOOOOOOOOOYYYYY JJEEEEEEEEENKKKKKKKKKKKKKKINNNNNS!!!!

*runs through Mutoid Man's Snark Farm*

*Pop* *pop* *POPOPOPPOPOP*

Damn you! Do you have the slightest idea how hard it is to feed a snark with a metal arm from a place it can't see you?! Will there be snark farms in Aftermath?

MuToiD_MaN said:
*Pop* *pop* *POPOPOPPOPOP*

Damn you! Do you have the slightest idea how hard it is to feed a snark with a metal arm from a place it can't see you?! Will there be snark farms in Aftermath?
Well I damn sure hope so! I wanna run through and watch them blow up COMBINE AND STUFF!

I want a headcrab launcher. You can shoot them with the primary fire of grav gun to kill them in 3 hits with it, why can't I pick them up and headcrab me some combine?! (Yes I am aware that, like Gordon, the combine wear helmets and so can't be zombified, but could always shoot Breen or some resistance members to boost their AI a bit)

That growl noise headcrabs make when they leap: one of the best sounds ever. I should make it ... like ... my error noise or something. They'd definitely have to make that noise when you launch them.

But back to more pressing matters...

Has the case been made to Valve about the mandatory inclusion of Snarks in Aftermath? And if so...has the case been made enough times?

MuToiD_MaN said:
That growl noise headcrabs make when they leap: one of the best sounds ever. I should make it ... like ... my error noise or something. They'd definitely have to make that noise when you launch them.

But back to more pressing matters...

Has the case been made to Valve about the mandatory inclusion of Snarks in Aftermath? And if so...has the case been made enough times?

Growl? I always thought of it more like a shriek:dork:

Whatever it is, it'll make your hair stand on end when your CD burn fails.

i want to see a garg and a strider beat the crap out of each other like some sort of crazy kaiju battle

as for the hydra. All it would take for the hydra to be a fun enemy would be if when it hit you, you didn't die, you just took a lot of damage and got shook around like crazy like the poor combine schmuck in the old e3 videos. Also make it the type of enemy you run from and at best distract, but cannot kill with weapons alone.

Why is everyone saying that the Hydra sucked because it was boring as hell to fight?

Why even fight it in the first place?

I personally thought the enemy was extremely cool. It would be cool if it sort of chased you around for awhile, and your goal was to avoid it. Combine would get it in the way...but not for long, seeing as how the Hydra had it in for the combine anyway.

No matter what Raising the Bar says, I refuse to believe that Valve took it out just because it was "boring to fight". Again, why even fight it? There are a lot of scenarios where the thing could be added in as a sort of "non-combat" enemy. You merely avoid it, and once you're out of the sewers you're ok. I mean, First Person Shooter doesn't mean shoot EVERYTHING on sight.

I think Valve just wasn't ready to add it in for whatever reason. Perhaps it was the coding. Perhaps it was just the fact they felt the thing didn't fit in the HL universe.

I wanna see a Garg or something. Think of a Garg in City17. I'm picturing it grabbing a strider and using it to hit another strider. Along with rocking some combine... Then Dog goes after it... Let the orgasmic awesomeness begin.

I guess this was out of topic... so.....

I wanna see a Hydra.

[46] pushit [2] said:
I think Valve just wasn't ready to add it in for whatever reason. Perhaps it was the coding. Perhaps it was just the fact they felt the thing didn't fit in the HL universe.

They really wanted to put it in, but in the end it was simply no fun to fight. And thus, they took it out.

Yeah, the Raising The Bar quote has nothing to do with the hl1 hydra, which was a kickass section of the game.

oops, hydra.

HAH! I could have started some sort of crazy rumor ... 3 times as legendary as biozeminades!

Back