I doubt STEAM will start sending HL2 on the 30th

N

notroublehere

I doubt STEAM will start sending HL2 on the 30th - I think you'll find it starts sending way before the 30th otherwise the load would be too great to achieve any reasonable distribution numbers.

I have no idea how the internals of STEAM work but if I were to do it I would encrypt the data wih a nice large key, send the data at a steady rate to as many pre-ordered people as possible immediately after HL2 has gone gold then start sending decryption keys (which would be a relatively minute size) out on the 30th as well as continuing to download the full data to as many people as possible.

If this is true, it would certainly benefit those who pre-order :)

Really, they should of intergrated bittorent or a similar technology into steam. Would have saved them a whole lot of bandwidth. And it will solve all the speed problems and congestions when major releases happen.

That is true but by paying for the software, Valve must make sure you actually get it. It only takes one idiot to patch steam to pass on corrupted packets with the correct checksum to disrupt the whole distribution process. When selling software, I doubt Valve can take that chance....

The secure authentication that is used between the content servers would possibly be comprimised with a BT scheme. However yes, I agree, if they could find a way to make everything secure while using a BT type system that would be the best.

I think an email in the email thread had one of the Valve guys saying they wanted to impliment a p2p (PEER TO PEER) system to Steam sometime in the future, so it's highly likely a BT type thing will come into place eventually.

It could use both in conjuction couldn't it? It gets authentication straight from a Vavle steam server. But it gets all the content from a BT type system. This content is then checked using the secure connection.

Sounds like a good idea to me. The bulk of the traffic would be taken up by P2P and the control could come from some kind of dynamically downloaded checking code straight from Valve. I like it!

I guess the other thing to think about is support - the other REALLY expensive thing for software companies (and I should know, I own one). As long as the solution didn't negate savings by generating more support requirements due to its complexity it would benefit everyone.

HEY! Maybe they'll have a bunch of new servers up? Just maybe.

No matter how much bandwidth they have, it will never be enough. The more bandwidth they acquire will just increase the amount of people who will try to use it at the same time, therefore we go back to congestion.

And yes, I too shall be buying it in store. Box, manual, a proper cd and my very own 'new game box smell'

No matter how much bandwidth they have, it will never be enough.
So Steam is going to fail, and you are the only guy who realises it? QUICK! get hold of Valve - they need your expertise.

I agree Dogbert. I think they underestimate the power of the internet. Why just yesterday I was talking to Gabe, and he said they added ANOTHER 28.8/k modem to their network. Now they can upload those webpages at lightning speeds. They estimated that at peak performance, you can download HL2 within 36 days. 36 days? Unbelievable eh? I remember the day when you would have to go down to your local general store and wait in line for 40 days and 40 night JUST to get a copy of pong. Back in those days we used bubble gum as a prophylactic. Back then my apple 2 would OWN me at a game of pong. Oh, the days of pong and Zork. We would cirlce around the ol' computer and stare at the screen for hours shouting out commands to whoever was at the keyboard. We would yell," Open the mailbox!" "Look in your inventory!", and the ever clasic "See what happens when you type **** or shit into it." Hehe, oh the times we had. Well I kinda rambled, so let me get back on topic. We also used to use Saran Wrap as a propholactic. Oh, the times we would have in the back of my brother's truck. Wait, NO!

I won't TAKE my medication!

Get Away!

I WILL BitTE You if you DOnt Stop.

I'm sorry, but he has to take his medication now. Bye bye! HAND OVER THE SARAN WRAP!!!

/end

it will be released the same way HL2 media is so I dont see a problem

Originally posted by Dagobert
So Steam is going to fail, and you are the only guy who realises it? QUICK! get hold of Valve - they need your expertise.

LOL - of course not! you really think that if there is too much demand the whole system will just fail? if that was the case the internet would have failed years ago....

It wont fail but I'd put a large bet that you wont be getting your full bandwidth capacity when downloading unless, like I said in my first post, there is a distribution before release day. If there is no way of spreading the demand over time then Sep 30th will be a slow download day.....hence the good idea to pre-order if you are buying through STEAM.

"So Steam is going to fail, and you are the only guy who realises it? QUICK! get hold of Valve - they need your expertise."

I didn't say fail. It's just going to be congested for a fair while.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of humour.

Sarcasm is not the lowest form of humor. Penis and fart jokes are, thank you very much sir.

OK, I am going to bed. I almost started to flame you. I can tell when I need to sleep. It's when I start to flame someone for a remark like that.............

/goes to sleep

Valve has a lot of 10mbs-100mbs servers setup by companies like nvidia. They should be fine.

Originally posted by notroublehere
That is true but by paying for the software, Valve must make sure you actually get it. It only takes one idiot to patch steam to pass on corrupted packets with the correct checksum to disrupt the whole distribution process. When selling software, I doubt Valve can take that chance....

If the checksums were signed with some RSA-like scheme then it would be impossible* for some-one to fake them.

*impossible does not necessarilly mean impossible.

Steam has probably twenty big servers exclusively for Half Life 2, plus parts of the game could be sent out before Sept 30th, and only on the 30th will it become playable.

Maybe...

I honestly don't think there's a maybe about it. Simple maths and costs dictate they have to distribute the bulk of the data as early as possible to avoid data transfer problems. I'm sure Valve have spent a fair amount of money on servers and bandwidth but their system would grind to a halt on the 30th if they didn't try and distribute some data beforehand.

How do I know? My company writes software for distributing video over IP - trust me I understand the issues with volume of data and demand.

Err.... How in hell did you manage to predict this!?! U have powers my friend.
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8159&perpage=40

Originally posted by notroublehere
I doubt STEAM will start sending HL2 on the 30th - I think you'll find it starts sending way before the 30th otherwise the load would be too great to achieve any reasonable distribution numbers.

I have no idea how the internals of STEAM work but if I were to do it I would encrypt the data wih a nice large key, send the data at a steady rate to as many pre-ordered people as possible immediately after HL2 has gone gold then start sending decryption keys (which would be a relatively minute size) out on the 30th as well as continuing to download the full data to as many people as possible.

If this is true, it would certainly benefit those who pre-order :)

As I said, I work with video over IP so I understand bandwidth issues. I thought I'd mention it a couple of weeks ago while browsing here. It seemed pretty obvious to me but I suppose it can surprise people who don't work with these problems every day!

Back