I found the real Alyx!

L

Line Bender

In the HL2 credits when you finish the game, there's a "thanks to the following for the use of their faces" part, so i took a screen and started Googling the names. The only one i found so far are Alyx (Jamil Mullen), wich you can find here:

http://www.smgmodels.com/portfolios/women/jamil-1.jpg

And "Chau Luu", wich you can find here:

http://www.toposwopetalent.com/individual_talent.php?key=142

(look at the "video" credits, she also appeared in HL1 as a "fighting character").

I couldn't be bothered to search torroughly, so if anyone has too much time on their hands, here's a screenshot of the HL2 faces names:

http://users.pandora.be/bogaard/temp/d3_breen_010013.jpg

Some cool facts for you from Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar (because it fully covers all of this stuff).

Barney is the face of Scott Lynch, Valve's Chief Operating Officer (I believe that's the guy that works directly under Gabe). Dr. Kleiner's face was taken from a guy that works in the law firm above Valve's office. The face of Eli Vance belongs to a person who was standing in the street holding a sign and looking for work. Grigori is the father of one of the modellers. Odessa Cubbage is the martial arts teacher of one of the team members.

Too see most of their faces, you'll need to buy the book. It's strange to think that you could be walking down the streets of Seattle one day and you'll see a guy and think 'Holy shit, that's the real Eli Vance!' :D

They should give him a job or something, even if it's just as the Valve janitor. Better than being on the street.

Chris_D said:
Some cool facts for you from Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar (because it fully covers all of this stuff).

Barney is the face of Scott Lynch, Valve's Chief Operating Officer (I believe that's the guy that works directly under Gabe). Dr. Kleiner's face was taken from a guy that works in the law firm above Valve's office. The face of Eli Vance belongs to a person who was standing in the street holding a sign and looking for work. Grigori is the father of one of the modellers. Odessa Cubbage is the martial arts teacher of one of the team members.

Too see most of their faces, you'll need to buy the book. It's strange to think that you could be walking down the streets of Seattle one day and you'll see a guy and think 'Holy shit, that's the real Eli Vance!' :D

I liked the story of how some of the Valve team saw the guy who Kliener was modelled off and spent a while staring at him wondering where they reconised him from.

The name "larry heard" brought up this face...

He seems to look an awful lot like the character 'Eli Vance' to me.

Attachments

• larryheard.jpg
    larryheard.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 806
In Raising the bar they show pics of all the people used for the faces and voices. Really good book go get it!

bouche said:

That's not him.

Homebrew said:
you're joking right?!

I agree with you, she's very beauty.
Nice find, i would like to buy that book, do you think that it's in Portugal' librarys? :(

bouche said:

Only in the sense that he's black. He looks nothing like him.

Sir_Shunt said:
Lol funny how they made the virtual version of her look better :p

hahaha yeah i was thinking exactly the same thing :cheers:

Chris_D said:

Do they show any images of the original people in Raising the Bar?

Harryz said:

Yes, and they all look nearly exactly the same.

Harryz said:
The similarities between the real life faces and the digital faces are amazing.

As Feath mentioned earlier, there's a little bit of caption in that section about how a lot of the Valve staff (who weren't involved in the process of picking faces etc.) were seeing the guy who gave Dr. Kleiner a face (as he worked in the law firm upstairs) and trying to work out where they recognised him from. Literally if you saw any of the real life people, you'd see the resemblance.

To whoever found a picture of a random black person - no - that's not Eli Vance. Eli Vance in the game looks almost identical to the guy in real life.

Anyway we can get some pics of the actual guy that they modeled Eli after?

larry heard is one of the freedom fighters, you know which one, the same black dude u see in and around the game in various differant clothes and stuff, its him.

and what the hell do you mean by "the only similarity is that they have dirty skin" thats so unbelievably racist its unbelievable!! :frown: i'm half black, on my mothers side and i'm just damn right offended by that, i'm disapointed that hl2.net havn't deleted that post.

http://www.techno.de/mixmag/97.12/pict/LarryHeard.10.gif
this one looks more liek eli i thinkhttp://www.bradley.edu/las/eng/lotm/Chicago-House/larryheard.jpg
in game: http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/492/492830/img_2386561.html?fromint=1

ACTUALLY I THINK THEY HAVE USED A COMBINATION OF FACES, CHUA LUU AND NAOMI COTTON

this is naomi cotton who is in the credits fursther down on teh faces bit, i think she look more like alyx than any other, plus she is really mixed race (half black i think) so there.

http://depts.washington.edu/wwpweb/images/naomi.gif

i wanna see if they modeled alyx's butt on the real woman.... :naughty:

im gonna need more than one pic for proof im afraid.

Iambetter said:
The only similarity between them is the dirty skin. :afro:

:flame: :angry:

you know how racist that is? I'm reporting that.
No i am not black.

ANyways one of those two girls has to be that one that is good then is bad and then turns good again at the end of the game remember? ALyx hates her...

Anyways so the book is called "raising the bar"?

Stop crying about it, he was probably joking. sheesh, what crybaby's

The real live picture is far, far more attractive

the in game model is not physically attractive

operative x said:
Stop crying about it, he was probably joking. sheesh, what crybaby's

It's not a joking matter. It's as if I started saying "all hail the nazis!" No. That's not right. It's not funny at all and if you think it is, you've got mental issues.

I think ""Chau Luu" is most likely the face of Alyx's (deceased) mother.

I wouldn't know for definite though because I don't have Raising the Bar ;(

Does anyone know where I can purchase it in the UK? I sure hope it has not sold out....

Since they were limited to 50,000 copies. I am going to guess they are all either sold out, or there are just a few sitting in some rural game store being neglected.

Back