I hate computers. Help me HL2Net.

_Z_Ryuken

Reaction score
This is why I ran away from the OT field.

Ok so I had a system, it ran perfectly until one day it stopped.

Time passes, I get a new motherboard. Shouldn't need anything else.

Current problem: Vista will not boot.

Corsair 550W PS, fine
2Gb G Skill DDr2, fine
WD 260Gb Sata3, fine? <- XP WAS here
Seagate 160Gb, fine? <- Vista is here (I think, ****)
Radeon x1900GT, fine
E6750 C2D, super fine
Asus P5Q, apparently fine <- replacing P5B-E

Symptoms: When I choose the Seagate as boot device I get a boot menu, like the one you get after a crash. The last thing my comp did was crash, after all. No matter what I choose, it says "loading windows files" and then stops and restarts.
Windows Recovery error is also telling me to boot from the CD and choose to repair the installation.

When I choose the Western Digital I get "Windows cannot start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please reinstall a copy of the above file."
Fair enough.

When I insert the Vista disc, which is a 32-bit upgrade disc, it will appear to be "loading windows". When it finishes I get a BSOD. ****!
I also tried downloading Microsoft's official windows recovery ISO and burn it to a CD, but it does the same thing, only slower.

The EASIEST way I can "fix" this would be to buy another hard drive, do a fresh install, migrate my datas and format the other drives, but I'm hoping there is another solution out there. I really do not need another hard drive. 400Gb is more than enough for me.

;_; I want to play mai gamez.

I hate computers too. Sometimes i wish I didn't know what a computer was. Of course, then I'd be living with the Pygmies in New Gennie, but I hate them just enough that I would elect to spend a day there.

Just one, because I'm a wuss like that. :/

Oh, and sorry, i have no idea how to help... Maybe i shouldn't post if I can't help fix it. :LOL:

try running a diagnostic and see where that gets you...swap out some memory and see if that solves the issue.

I worked all day & then came home to a garage that flooded, so to make a long story short, i'm very tired & so you'll have to just deal with my incoherient ramblings. :)

Try:
1) Only have 1 HDD connected. The HDD you want to be the main HDD that your OS is installed on.
2) In the Bios, look through all the options to see if you have an option "Boot Other Device" If you do, have it enabled. On some mobo's, this will enable your system to correctly see the SATA HDD & to then use it to install the OS on & thus boot from. Did your HDD come with a SATA diskette?
3) Make sure that your options in the bios are set to "Non-RAID"
4) Set the first device to boot as the CD/DVD drive that you have the Vista OS DVD/CD in.
5) Restart & Try to install as normal.
6) Still get the BSOD?

Do you have another version of Windows around? An older copy of Win98 or WinME? You could install that & then try upgrading to Vista.

Install with 1GB RAM - I read somewhere that this helps, though honestly I think the guy was on crack.

-MRG

What's the BSOD say?

It flashes by so fast I have no idea. I think once it stopped, but I didn't care to get the gist of it. All I remember is "if this is the first time you are seeing this error..."

I'll see if I can get it stuck again.

I don't have any RAM to swap out. I am 99.9% sure the RAM is fine.

BSOD says:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to yoru computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Run a system diagnostic utility supplied by your hardware manufacturer. In particular, run a memory check, and check for faulty or mismatched memory. Try changing video adapters.

Disable or remove any newly installed hardware and drivers. Disable or remove any newly installed software. If you need to ue Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007F (0x0000000F, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

I have not run a diagnostic, and am not sure how yet. I'll see what I can do, maybe switch/swap the 2 memories around/in/out.

Weird shit. I took out memory 2 and nothing changed. I put memory 2 in memory 1s slot, leaving memory 1 out, and when I told it to boot from disc, a menu popped up and offered me 2 options, one I didn't understand and one was for memory, which I ran, and found nothing wrong. I ended that screen, it continued to "load windows" via disc, and I got the same BSOD. So I put memory 1 back in to memory 2s old place.

I have no idea how to duplicate that menu to find out what the first option does.

This shit is pissing me off. I don't know what the hell to do. I'll just buy a new HD later and MAYBE it will let me install...

Try all of the above. Sit back and relax, the problem could be easier than you think.
It sound like broken rootkit (Corrupted) as the results of virus/adware or by user/s, and needs to be repaired or fresh installed. drivers issue (Maybe sound or video) since they're the first two to load when OS is loading.
Overall, it seems as your OS is going Koo-Koo and needs attention.

Good Luck.

Well if you end up getting a new hard drive, install your OS and move the stuff from your old drive over, essential stuff only so you don't somehow get screwed by the same problem if it's related to something you recently got.

It shouldn't be software related. My PC is used for games and nothing much else. It's not the essential stuff I'm worried about anyways, it's all the media I've saved up/created over the years.

Before the failure everything was working fine. Only problem was my video card was overheating which I later found out was attributed to a wad of dust inside the heatsink channels.

I think Vista itself might be having a problem with finding a new mainboard, different CPU than what was originally installed, and lack of soundcard. I heard it's picky like that.

I'm also just realizing I meant to say IT in the original post, not OT.

Have you tried to set Vista up with only 1 drive connected? (you can add the others later after you get it working)
If you have not got Vista working then try it from the beginning with just the 1 drive up. Even though your boot drive is different, it may be trying to access the system or boot volume on the other drive since that is where you first installed Windows (XP).

I got the Hal.dll bug once with my OEM Win XP Home. Nothing could be done with what I had. The disc they gave me with the computer couldn't repair it

So I talked to my brother, and I ended up getting a retail copy of Windows Pro.

I think I installed it on a different hard drive and ignored the broken copy of windows

Then I just rescued my data from the old drive.

Have you tried to set Vista up with only 1 drive connected? (you can add the others later after you get it working)
If you have not got Vista working then try it from the beginning with just the 1 drive up. Even though your boot drive is different, it may be trying to access the system or boot volume on the other drive since that is where you first installed Windows (XP).

I've swapped them both around. It doesn't make a bit of difference guys. The drives are inert.
I got the Hal.dll bug once with my OEM Win XP Home. Nothing could be done with what I had. The disc they gave me with the computer couldn't repair it

So I talked to my brother, and I ended up getting a retail copy of Windows Pro.

I think I installed it on a different hard drive and ignored the broken copy of windows

Then I just rescued my data from the old drive.

XP was mostly erased from that drive, though not completely. The installation became useless for reasons I cannot remember, but it was that reason I bought Vista.

Before I go buying another part, I'm going to see if I can get a friend to bring over a working drive and see if it even boots or has issues.

Cause

Bug check 0x7F typically occurs after you install a faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or if installed hardware fails.

A double fault can occur when the kernel stack overflows. This overflow occurs if multiple drivers are attached to the same stack. For example, if two file system filter drivers are attached to the same stack and then the file system recurses back in, the stack overflows.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms795478.aspx

I'm trying to gather data on why safe mode hangs when it loads crcdisk.sys.

The date settingin BIOS is going increibly wacky. It goes about 40 years in the future.

I've gotten into Windows somehow and am installing the MB drivers. :|

Thread over. Thanks for the attention. :D

I love computers. <3

Installing SP1 corrupted ntlodr or something, so it wasn't totally painless ordeal, but I'm finally back in the power seat

I hate computers.
The PC boots no problem with my e6300 in there but when I replace it with an e6750 it has all the problems that made me start this thread. What gives? I've been searching like mad but can find no one having my particular problem.

Back